[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the majority of /mu/ dismisses the entire genre of metal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: 1446863129244.jpg (11 KB, 154x151) Image search: [Google]
1446863129244.jpg
11 KB, 154x151
i remember my "metal is angsty shit" phase. i never realized how surrounded by plebs i was
>>
>>64275645
Don't take the opinions of noisy, low-test hipster queers seriously.
>>
this board should be called /NU/ for NU males
>>
I remember my "metal is the shit!! angtsy music for life" phase. i never realized how surrounded by plebs i was (including myself)
>>
>>64275645
/mu/ is just a cross section of the general population's music taste, hence most anons listening to easy/accessible indie-pop and hip hop
>>
I don't think metal is bad, I just don't listen to much, though. Some metal listening anon on /mu/ got mad at me because I said I liked Drone Doom, though.
>>
File: Earth2_album_cover.gif (49 KB, 360x359) Image search: [Google]
Earth2_album_cover.gif
49 KB, 360x359
>>64275911
drone doom is good. what stuff do you like?
>>
>>64275872
>implying metal is not accessible music
even black metal and death are filled with gimmicks such as tremolo pickings, down tune guitars, and mindless blast beats with time changes. And a lot of metal is just pop with guitars.
>>
>>64276005
>tremolo pickings, down tune guitars, and mindless blast beats
these are not "gimmicks"
learn your word meanings first
>>
File: rampton.jpg (233 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
rampton.jpg
233 KB, 600x600
>>64275994
I really like Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine, and Black Boned Angel, and Earth of course, but I've just began listening recently
>>
I feel like I enjoy a couple very specific kinds of metal. Can someone recommend some metal that sounds fairly apocalyptic, but without that slow, droning doom metal sound? I'm not even really sure what I want but I know I've stumbled across songs here and there that sound like what I'm thinking of.
>>
File: Boris_-_Amplifier_Worship.jpg (9 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
Boris_-_Amplifier_Worship.jpg
9 KB, 220x220
>>64276061
>Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
i never knew this was a band too that's funny. check out pic if you havent already
>>
>>64276180
Yeah, it's one of those supergroups. It's got some guys from Sunn O))) in it. I've been putting off listening to Boris for a long time, I probably should listen. Thanks
>>
File: a0812121144_10.jpg (565 KB, 1194x1200) Image search: [Google]
a0812121144_10.jpg
565 KB, 1194x1200
>>64276138
>but without that slow, droning doom metal sound
so you want something faster? how fast are we talking? pic related is some super apocalyptic black metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFkNeI-pJ8
>>
>>64276005
>with time changes
what is "inaccessible" to you? deep lyrics? lol
>>
>>64276365
I'm not sure if speed is really the issue. It's more about the fact that I feel like I'm hearing the same riff for minutes at a time with a lot of doom metal. This is cool, though. Thanks anon.
>>
>>64277172
oh okay so maybe you want something that's a little more dynamic and technical. this album is really detailed and complex. at times it sounds closer to classical than rock. still very apocalyptic sounding imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLQigEijit0
>>
File: 1279092845057.jpg (399 KB, 677x2054) Image search: [Google]
1279092845057.jpg
399 KB, 677x2054
We used to be primarily a metal centric board. I still remember when the indie fags started taking over, dark days.
>>
>>64275645
the /metal/ general is one of the most if not THE most active generals on /mu/
>>
I didn't start getting into metal until I was 26. I never thought I would be able to enjoy the harsher styles of vocals in the extreme sub genres. I just kind of kept coming back to it and like as many metal bands as I do other genres. Then shit ass Father John Misty put out that terrible Honeybear album that made me avoided anything at all associated with Indie because it was like someone took everything wrong with Indie/Folk and put it into one album. I didn't understand how people saw the styles as pretentious until this album and it almost single handedly ruined all bands even vaguely associated with the genre tag for me
>>
>>64277796
yeah but /metal/ is almost a seperate entity from /mu/ at this point. most of the posters in those threads openly admit that they don't post or even browse outside of them. that seems to be the only place where its acceptable to talk about metal. in my experience, every time you bring it up outside of those threads it gets shat on by multiple anons
>>
>>64277788
wish i could've been here in those days. i take it that image is satirical though
>>
>>64277880
>Then shit ass Father John Misty put out that terrible Honeybear album that made me avoided anything at all associated with Indie because it was like someone took everything wrong with Indie/Folk and put it into one album
i feel this same way in a more general sense. indie became commercial and died during 2012 to 2015 (at least the literal descriptor of "indie")
>>
I still don't understand non-melodic harsh metal. Melodic death metal is cool but black metal/stuff feels like noise.
>>
>>64278270
do you dislike dissonance in other genres as well?
>>
Bonus points for the Mütiilation pic. Bump.
>>
>>64277724
Yeah, this is a bit more of what I'm looking for. Really enjoying it.
>>
>>64278289
yeah, it's not really anything to do with metal specifically
>>
>>64278270
>Melodic death metal is cool but black metal/stuff feels like noise.

get a load of this pleblord
>>
>A metal opera that doesn't go full cheesy power metal.
Anybody know anything else like this?

>>64275994
>>64276061
Hyatari is pretty good.
>>64276180
If we're talking non-metal Time Machines by Coil is the GOAT drone release, imo
>>
>>64278664
then i'd say that's just a personal preference. nothing wrong with it. if you're trying to get into dissonance, maybe try some modern classical or sonic youth or something, but if it's just not your cup of tea, that's totally understandable too
>>
>>64278719
One day I hope I can be as cool as you
>>
>>64278725
time machines is some next level shit. i sometimes use it to meditate and it's always an extremely dissociative experience
>>
File: 1456341234786.png (114 KB, 299x301) Image search: [Google]
1456341234786.png
114 KB, 299x301
>Black Metal

Thrash is the trve metal, Black Metal posers need to fuck off
>>
>>64278862
i like black metal more. thrash is great too, but it's more of a historical relic at this point. there are hardly any bands that are currently making good modern thrash. black metal on the other hand is practically having a renaissance.
>>
>>64275680
>implying metalheads aren't overcompensating for their low test by being br00tal
>>
>>64277172
Have you tried agalloch?
also, check this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mboxRZGSB8
>>
File: Pentagram relentless.jpg (60 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Pentagram relentless.jpg
60 KB, 800x800
>>64276138
You probably would like some early mid-tempo Doom like Saint Vitus and Pentagram.
Pic related is one of my favorites, it got the Doom vibe but it´s not just 10 minutes of same for each song.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.