[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What will Geologist's solo album be like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 300x189) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 300x189
What will Geologist's solo album be like?
>>
probably something like this https://vimeo.com/149526692
>>
If it's anything like his track on New Psycho Actives, incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzzqPnhHpw4
>>
>>64274205
This would BTFO painting with

Is geologist being held back?
>>
probably sounds exactly like animal collective
easy mode everything and pseudo deep inspiring lyrics
>le "its supposed to be annoying"
>>
>>64274043
>>64274205
>tfw you realize Geologist is a genius and isn't the Ringo of AnCo
>>
>>64274205
seriously, new psycho actives is WAAAAY underrated and geo's shit had me pining for his solo album
>>
It will be the Peter Criss solo release of AnCo
>>
It'd be goat and blow everybody out and start a flame war between Deak fans and Geo fans
>>
>>64274684
>tfw Panda turns into the dingo of AnCo

Damn
>>
>>64274024
looks like a NU male
>>
>>64275101
deakins album isn't that good. if you're gonna give it to anyone give it to avey. panda bears actually proven himself to have good solo talent. avey, not so much.
>>
>>64275487
>Avey is Ringo

you're fucking daft mate
>>
>>64274205
does anyone know what this sample is? it's very familiar and i'm gonna feel like a retard when someone tells me but i can't remember.

>>64275510
about as daft as calling panda the ringo
>>
>>64274536
>has never listened to anco and doesn't know who the fuck geo is

Stretching Songs for Spring is great. Jailhouse from the KEEP Cassette was great and his work with Coral Morphologic was great. Also, everything he contributed for TTG and Oddsac was awesome too. Not to mention he is the spine of AnCo's sound what with all the wacky effects and manipulation involved on many of their records. Yes Avey and Panda can do it too, but sample distortion and manipulation is Geo's forte.
>>
>>64275551
Are you talking about the dobro sounding guitar sample with the singing over it? That part always sounds eerily familiar to me. Like I've heard it a million times....but I know I've only heard it from that. And I never called Panda the Ringo. I don't think anyone in this band is the Ringo honestly. They all have a great ear for aesthetic and some really innovative ideas when it comes to making music.
>>
>>64275487
I think Avey's solo stuff is all pretty good. I prefer Down There to Tomboy for sure, and if you compare early stuff Abyss Song is better than the entirety of Young Prayer.
I guess it feels less separate from AnCo than Panda's stuff, and more supplementary, but that's mainly because Avey usually takes the lead for AnCo and I don't think it means he doesn't have solo talent.
>>
>>64274024
Solid as a rock
>>
>>64275604
Avey is great as a solo artist. Have you heard I Am Your Eagle Kisser? One of his best solo songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI9nq4wTzE0

One of my faves by him. Crumbling Land is a good EP/split he did with David Grubb as well. Crumbling Land, Misused Barber, Abyss Song, all great songs. His work with Kria Brekkan on Pullhair Rubeye was also really well done. Great song writing and arrangement. A lot of people will write it off because of the reversed/pitch up nonsense but the music, as it was written, is pretty damn good.

But I'm Your Eagle Kisser is criminally underrated and under discussed. One of his better songs to be honest. Always kind of reminded me of Pink Floyd for some reason.
>>
>>64275686
Yeah, love that song. I think it might've been written for Pullhair Rubeye, as they played it live for the album's tour along with some other unreleased songs.

I don't understand what fans have against Avey's Solo stuff. [spoiler]ievenlikeslasherflicks[/spoiler]
>>
>>64275743
Slasher Flicks isn't even bad I'll never understand why people hate it as much as they do
>>
they're all super talented dudes, i don't really get the point in trying to figure out which ones the "worst" or whatever.

but honestly i don't think geo's ever going to release an album. he seems super content just staying lowkey and hanging out with his wife and son
>>
>>64275743
Slasher Flicks was awesome. I don't know why people didn't like it that much. I thought it was great. Strange Colores is prob my favorite from the album though it's been a while since I've listened fully.

One song I have never listened to enough is Always You. I've literally only heard it twice. Listening for the third time since 2009 and holy poop man. This is awesome. Wish they'd have released this on an album. Same goes for From a Beach, agh. They have so many unreleased songs that should be studio recordings.
>>
>>64275808
People hate it because it doesn't sound like Feels or MPP. That's the only reason people hate anything new by Animal Collective these days. It either isn't reverby enough, or watery enough, or not "Feelsy" enough. This is the only reason people came buckets over Deakin's solo album. It has a lot of elements of older AnCo and people are being nostalgic contrarian faggots. Don't get me wrong, I like Sleep Cycle but it is SEVERELY over rated. It was mediocre at best.
>>
>>64275082
But how great would a Deak and Geo collab be?
>>
>>64275906
I really enjoyed Sleep Cycle, but I agree with everything else you said. I don't get why MPP and Feels are held in such high regard compared to their other work. I like them, but AnCo's discog is so varied, and I think they have a lot of albums that are better than those two. Maybe it's just because they're the most accessible.
>>
Down There is the greatest AnCo solo release
>>
>>64275953
I imagine it'd be great. It'd be like the two opposite ends of the spectrum. The electronics guy and the guitar guy, with the two able to let their sounds develop together without the influence of Panda and Avey (not that those two are bad).
>>
>>64274205
damn brian
>>
>>64275978
Personally, my favorite is and has been Campfire Songs for about three years now. And Painting With is about equal to MPP for me. Most unpopular opinion on these boards probably but that's how I feel.
>>
>>64274684
Geologist is still the Ringo of AC but not in a bad way. Like Ringo he prefers to stick to the background, and like Ringo he forms the foundation.
>>
>>64276036
Campfire Songs is my favorite too, it's way way underrated. It's probably the most "different" AnCo record in regards to their other material. I've actually been enjoying PW, still wouldn't be that high up if I were to do a ranking, but I still like it
>>
>>64275101
>Panda turns into the dingo of AnCo
>dingo
>>
>>64275859
Always you is a champion song
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.