[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prince is literally the only artist this fucker bothered to actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3
File: chris.jpg (71 KB, 1152x786) Image search: [Google]
chris.jpg
71 KB, 1152x786
Prince is literally the only artist this fucker bothered to actually lament, saying how his success was uncompromised and how his career was persona-bullshit-free.

Does anyone genuinely, literally still pay attention to this contrarian fuck up who just enjoys telling about everyone that they're fucking trash, unless it's MBV, Prince or fucking Grimes? There is zero actual music appreciation in what this retard ever writes.
>>
I think he has a broader perspective than you.

There will come a time when I surpass his knowledge of pop music, but I'm not there yet.
>>
>>64265759
>hey guys I actually hung out in Brooklyn, where da fuck where you then, huh? speak up!
>broader perspective

yeah, ok
>>
>>64265655
Fuck off William Basinski
>>
>>64265799
Are you really saying you've been more in touch with any music scene?

I think he was in the perfect place to have the exact right perspective on what is happening today.
>>
>>64265655
He's right for praising Prince, but then again, so would anyone be.

I think you guys can't handle the bantz.

>>64265915
lol.
>>
>>64265655
hes a childish asshole, and it really comes out when he baits other writers making a living under a system he detests. but occasionally hes right about the system. and he sure as fuck is right about prince. oh and hes a good writer.
>>
>>64265961
doesn't make him any less of a salty tit

boohoo p4k dropped me and then they made a whole bunch of money fucking posers
>>
>>64265655
i thought he was way too harsh on bowie after he died. like jesus, cool your jets for a little and let people mourn. twitter isnt fucking 4chan.
>>
>>64266004
he quit pitchfork

and someone having particular motivations for taking a stance doesn't make what they're saying invalid. that's why I'm saying he has the perfect life experience. p4k deserves to be criticized, but he's the only one qualified and willing to do so because of everything he went through.
>>
>>64266022
that delicious moment when he had to damage control the fuck out of trashing Blackstar only to turn out it was Bowie's swansong and he didn't understand shit about it except "muh bowie sucks'
>>
>>64265974
>>64265986
>he's right about Prince

oh, so Prince is fucking relevant after 30 years and persona-bullshit-free in what he did, but Bowie was a fucking tard post '74 because double standard, right?

fuck this and fuck him.
>>
>>64266097
oh yeah thats right! he was already going full blast and then bowie fucking died. wow, brutal. its not like he had too much lower to go tho.
>>
>>64265655
>Prince is literally the only artist this fucker bothered to actually lament

(1) not true, by the way
(2) just because he dislikes hacks like bowie doesnt mean he's heartless, it means he has good taste
(3) why are you implying that someone has to lament someone when they die?

>>64265655
>Does anyone genuinely, literally still pay attention to this contrarian fuck up who just enjoys telling about everyone that they're fucking trash, unless it's MBV, Prince or fucking Grimes?
yes I do. and he hates grimes, idk what the fuck you're on about.

>there is zeor actual music appreciation in what this retard ever writes
you cant say that when all you've read are his drunk tweets you assblasted faggot
>>
>>64265961
>Are you really saying you've been more in touch with any music scene?

no and that's not the point. I'm sorry I wasn't priviledge to be born in the 70s and groove with the actual scene in the 80s. That doesn't make him relevant anymore, in this decade. He's a washed up mad barking critic trying to say something relevant about these times.

If he'd be a historian of the 80s or some shit like, that'd be perfectly fine, but he's shitting on new music like he owns it. Fuck him. Fuck him in his sphyncter.
>>
>>64266127
i didnt say he was right about bowie. in fact i think hes wrong about bowie - i really hate this prince/bowie mu competition going on. they both should be celebrated. personally princes death hit me more than bowies, because his music hit me more than bowies. both absolute legends nonetheless.
>>
>>64266160
>hacks like bowie

yeah, nice thing of you to add that word up. He acknowledges 70s Bowie just fine. Try harder, hatefag.

>(3) why are you implying that someone has to lament someone when they die?

I'm not. I'm saying don't fucking try to shit in other's mouths when they lament some artist, when you can barely muster feelings for one fucking artist, ever.
>>
>>64266160
>and he hates grimes, idk what the fuck you're on about.

dude, have you read his tweets. he hated the new album, but did total damage control on saying Grimes the artist is still totally on top of things and will keep thriving. his literally nicknaming his slut daughter Baby Grimes.

get a fucking load off you
>>
>>64266127
>so Prince is fucking relevant after 30 years and persona-bullshit-free in what he did, but Bowie was a fucking tard post '74 because double standard, right

No, it's because Prince was actually a legitimate excellent musician.

Bowie was a poseur who always chased trends but could make do with imitating whatever he wanted.

Prince was an original, and an overall outstanding musician, producer, and rock star.
>>
>>64266247
hi Chris

also, "legitimate excellent musician" doesn't mean shit, if you haven't made relevant music SINCE THE FUCKING 80S. He's forcefeeding the genius-relevant connection to no end.

Plus, he criticised Bowie for giving critics hell in the last years, but how is Prince with his content-protecting bullshit any different?
>>
>>64266206
>I'm not. I'm saying don't fucking try to shit in other's mouths when they lament some artist
why not?
>when you can barely muster feelings for one fucking artist, ever
This is the 8th time you've been wrong about the guy in this thread so far. I suggest you delete it and read more of his work before you come in here acting like your ignorant opinions are worthy of debate.
>>64266240
Her older material is worthy of the praise, even scaruffi gave geidi primes a 7.5/10
>>
>>64266170
why this "attitude"?

I'm saying learn from him what you can.

The thing I really like about him is that he does respect young people. He shits on a lot of new things but then really gets behind microgenres like vaporwave. He knows and understands pop music is about the kids. No, he is not just another dadrocker who can't move on from HIS youth which what you're implying.
>>
>>64266247
>Prince was an original

DUDE BARE CHEST AND RETRO-JACKSON GAY MOVES AND SAME FUCKING BEATS IN EVERY ALBUM EVER LMAO
>>
>>64265655
Dude Internet personalities lmfao
>>
>>64266298
prove me wrong, then, and tell me when has he ever actually respected an artist's death

and your point on Grimes is? I thought this was about proving he fucking hates her. Which you suddenly stopped proving???
>>
>>64266318
Go listen to William Basinski, bro
>>
>>64266311
>shitting on everything since MBV = respecting young generation music

ok

also, vaporwave? ok wow, so he appreciates a genre that's detested by everyone. this disproves his contrarianism how?
>>
>>64266318
>>64266345
DUDE DUDE LMAO 2015 POSTS IN 2016 LMAO
>>64266347
why the fuck does respecting an artists death mean so much to you? you do realize that there are people out there that can be affected by someone's death without making vapid social media posts that shows their followers how cultured they are for knowing some musician that died

get over yourself you fucking faggot
>>
>>64266354
>I watched one video of Ott panning something, so I'll use it as counter-meme now

ok
>>
>>64266391
>why the fuck does respecting an artists death mean so much to you?

it doesn't. but if someone like Chris's MO is to shit at every occasion, EXCEPT for the one artist you happen to respect, someone like Chris is worth of nothing but contempt

it's simple, if you love shitting in everyone's mouth, when it's actually your turn to grieve and shit, you're all the more despicable and your true laughable colors are revealed
>>
>>64266391
>ou do realize that there are people out there that can be affected by someone's death without making vapid social media posts that shows their followers how cultured they are for knowing some musician that died

YOU SHOULD LITERALLY POSE THIS QUESTION TO OTT AND YET YOU DEFEND HIM WITH THIS VERY QUESTION WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK
>>
>>64266436
>but if someone like Chris's MO is to shit at every occasion
that's not his MO and even if it was why do you care so much?
>>64266453
im not defending ott. people that feel the need to share their music opinions (positive and negative) are fags but the only thing worse than those people are the ones that get physically upset about it like OP. why are you shouting anon? it's friday, go outside or something.
>>
>>64266354
>>64266408
Basinski is low hanging fruit.

Dude's a hack.
>>
The stuff Ott said about Bowie's new album and music was from before he died and literally all Ott cares about is connecting to kids on the internet and trying to make them understand the importance of music that's already been.

Nobody ever needed to sing Bowie's praises everyone already knew how important he was but you can't say the same thing about Prince no matter how many people over the age of thirty care about him.

I don't agree with the guy all the time but I respect his opinion when he gives a shit about something, whether he's trying to cut through the bullshit or just praise someone.
>>
>>64266687
>literally all Ott cares about is connecting to kids on the internet and trying to make them understand the importance of music that's already been.
fucking this
>>
>>64266687
>>64267070
lo, you guys are so delusional
>>
>>64267677
t. average bowie fan
>>
>>64266240
>his literally nicknaming his slut daughter Baby Grimes.
what is wrong with you, shes like 8 or something dude
>>
>>64267677
what privileged insight do you have about Ott that we are missing? I watched his videos, read a handful of his essays and reviews, and catch a string of tweets every once in a while. This is the impression I have.

The real question is what he said that ticked YOU off. Because he ragged on some band you liked? Is that really enough to warrant a lifetime of hatred?
>>
>>64267717
so? that only means it'll happen in six years time, nothing wrong with foreshadowing.

also, if this board is too uncomfortable for you, maybe you should go back to NSFW plebbit
>>
>>64267789
>also, if this board is too uncomfortable for you, maybe you should go back to NSFW plebbit
i don't think you're old enough to be posting here
>>
>>64267776
the burden of proof is upon you regarding Ott connection with any fucking one nowadays, instead of spewing constant shit towards any non-pure critical enterprise (just because he jumped ship at what he thought was the right time) and 99% of everything that dares create musical sounds without magical shoegaze reverbs
>>
>>64267839
>the burden of proof is upon you regarding Ott connection with any fucking one nowadays
just look at the people that follow him and favorite his tweets: 18-25 year old guys that grew up with the internet and learned about music it as well
>>
>>64265759

His perspective is garbage

His taste in music is legit shit

He thinks Ween is a bad band

Total faggot
>>
>>64267776
com'on dude, he basically only liked Grimes, Julia Holter's Loud City Song and Kanye West in the last half of decade. if this were anyone else, he'd be laughed at vigorously, but since it's da Ott, oh shit this man knows good music
>>
>>64267884
Ween is shit and he has good taste, as far as I'm concerned.
>>
His perspectives on the music industry as a whole are what make him interesting, not really his music taste.
>>
>>64267882
so internet brats who dig his contrarianism means he's connecting with an entire generation. hue.
>>
>>64267934
>so internet brats who dig his contrarianism means he's connecting with an entire generation. hue.
goalposts = moved
>>
>>64267839
connection? he connects to people like me. what else do you want? some most relevant prize or something? also I appreciate his perspective. which I believe is genuine. and it's not anywhere near the same as mine. but that's exactly why I appreciate it and anyone like him, including pitchfork itself.
>>
>>64267952
>he connects with me, so he connects with my generation

goalposts = moved
>>
>>64267943
I've moved nothing. Attraction towards younglings who like to "this" his banter and rants does not make any intentions of his to actually connect with young people true. Your argument is not sufficient.
>>
>>64267979
I'm not nor was I ever "debating," you fucking redditor. I'm trying to get you to ask yourself why you hate him, because only you know the real reason.

You need to ask yourself what you really want out of a person like Chris Ott.
>>
>>64265655
lol true fact: the only reason he stans Grimeth is because Grimeth's bf is part of the hipinion crew that chris rolls with
>>
>>64268221
Chris disowned hipinion a while back
>>
>>64268527
why?
>>
File: Capture.png (15 KB, 1395x164) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
15 KB, 1395x164
>>64268570
>>
>>64268604
>14223 posts
damn...
>>
>autist tards still arguing over this irrelevant fat fuck
>>
>>64268604
Anyone who complains about SJWs is a straight up moron. If you don't like people with certain views the worst thing you can do is unify them by treating people with totally different social justice interests as a single group. Anti-SJWs made the SJW phenomenon more of a thing than it ever was before. And it's mostly just internet shit anyway. I'm a white dude who lives in a city that is considered ground zero for this sort of thing in the U.S. and it has never remotely had a negative impact on me in real life. I can hardly imagine how it would. Even
here, probably less than 15% actually fit the SJW image.

Please stop making this a thing and it will go away in like 2 or 3 years.
>>
Pitchfork Internet Defence Force is here to save the day
>>
>>64269005
You just had to get that out no matter how inappropriate it was for the thread, didn't you, stupid faggot?
>>
>>64265655
>taking the opinions of a guy thinks U2, shoegaze, and Britpop are the peak of music
>>
>>64269005
there was probably 12 layers of irony and sarcasm on his post
>>
>>64269005
shut up
>>
>>64265655
literally who
>>
>>64265915
he's right though
>>
>>64266070
I kinda know who he is but I don't know the story, care to explain?
>>
>>64266097
Blackstar sucks though, the fact that Bowie died doesn't make it less trash.
>>
>>64267789
what a retard, please fuck off and never return.
>>
>>64267921
this

he taste is actually pretty generic
>>
>>64266687
well said
>>
>>64266240
>his literally nicknaming his slut daughter Baby Grimes
wow 4chan, i never thought there'd be a day when you'd get me legitimately mad
>>
>>64267921
it's actually infuriating how much he focuses on singular bands or artists, information and perspective on the music industry and everything behind the scenes is much more needed
>>
File: 1451230510110.jpg (10 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
1451230510110.jpg
10 KB, 260x194
>>64268604
there was a thread literally the other week with the title "what are some non-ableist slurs" or something
>>
ott shitting on everything is a breath of fresh air in an era when people claim halcyon days is a "10/10 goat classic". it's just reverse hyperbole
>>
>>64269077
It's just that there are plenty of things about Ott that make me want to like him, he's a good writer, he is compelling when he talks about his favorite music, but I can't get past his obsessive preoccupations outside of music itself. I just wish the SJW discussion didn't have to become a part of every other one now. It's not like overzealous college students and older adults imitating them to try to stay relevant is a new phenomenon.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.