[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are analog synths a meme? I really want to get pic related but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: korg-ms-10.jpg (30 KB, 490x295) Image search: [Google]
korg-ms-10.jpg
30 KB, 490x295
Are analog synths a meme? I really want to get pic related but I'm wondering if I'd be better off with a MIDI keyboard and some pirated VSTs.
>>
you should distinguish two debates here:

1) hardware vs. software
2) analog vs. digital

A MIDI keyboard with a few knobs will still be a pain to label the knobs, which will also change between different VSTs, etc, so, most people think hardware is always better, but of course more expensive.

2) Analog vs digital: there's supposedly a difference but I think this also has to do with the quality of the product. A very expensive digital synth could sound better than a cheap analog one.

tl:dr: there's no answer
>>
>>64261104
both are valuable to own, but I'd say if you had to get only one, get an analog synth. You can always pirate VSTs and put the notes in by hand.
>>
>>64261104
Trust me, there's no comparison. The clear cut sound from an analog sounds like a clear exhale and digital sounds like breathing through a straw.
>>
>>64261898
>A MIDI keyboard with a few knobs will still be a pain to label the knobs

most soft synths post 2005 have midi learn, which makes this a non issue.
>>
I would also like to buy a synth but I have never had experience with keys. Is technical skill and knowledge of music theory a requirement in order to play and make music on a synth?
>>
>>64261104
Don't fall for the analog meme

Always go digital
>>
>>64261104
can you answer honestly:

why do you want an analog synth, specifically an ms-10
>>
If you have the cash to throw at it, you might as well. Seeing as you plan to pirate all of your VSTs, what exactly would you be spending the money on (once you've bought your keyboard)?
>>
>>64261104
>Are analog synths a meme?
No they are real
>>
Anyone else here exclusively use free VSTs?
>>
>>64261104
Analog synths are great fun, there's something special about knowing that when you turn the knobs you are controlling the voltages of many different components to craft your sounds. It just feels organic.

Digital VSTs can't quite capture the sound of a real analog but good ones can be really close (the average person won't even be able to tell it isn't a real analog) and you've got to weigh up whether it's worth paying the extra for the real deal.
>>
>>64264007
Every VST I use is free. I just don't feel like spending a lot of money unless it's for an actual instrument.
>>
Depends
If you want to use it in a live enviroment with a band, hardware synths are the way to go
If you just want to do EDM, IDM, etc in your bedroom or be a laptop artist, stick to vsts

Some analog synths are good, some are shit. Volcas sound so shitty it makes no sense on them being analog, Minibrute if you want killler basslines and you hook it up to an amp, BassStation II is probably the best one so far.
The ms20 is fun but only if you wanna drop some lsd and record jams that you wont be able to duplicate ever

Analog drum machines are a meme and the 808 is the most overrated piece of gear ever.

VA is the way to go, just get a used microkorg, costs less than a midi controller with automap and is hella fun
Ohh, and avoid romplers, most of them are overpriced meme-tier crap (GAIA being the worst offender)
>>
>>64264007
TAL-noisemaker is the only vst I need
>>
>>64263888
Plenty of musicians never learn music theory. I'd recommend looking into regardless of what instrument you play.
>>
>>64264566
Personal favorite
>>
>>64264602
I see. What about the technical skill? I need to get a "full" keyboard in order to be able to actually play the keys, right?
>>
>>64263888
>>64264602
This and learning how to play piano helps too
>>
>>64264080
Same
>>64264566
Hell yeah, great synth. The only thing I can't really do as well with it, is create big sounding supersaws. That's when I go for Free Alpha or Sylenth1.

I'm currently trying to create midrange sounds like the ones in brostep, but that seems to be a little less of a success as well for Noisemaker.
>>
>>64264747
If your goal is to do melodic performances and solos yes it's good to have some technical skill. A lot of musicians only use the keyboard as input mechanism for notes, and mess aroudn with effects and filters. If you look up synth jams on youtube you'll notice a lot of people don't even use a keyboard, they hook everything up to a step sequencer. You can also run longer programmed arrangements through it. You also don't need an 88 key keyboard unless you're playing music from the Romantic era repertoire. Keyboards in Bach and Mozart's time were 56 keys.
>>
>>64261898
>t. A very expensive digital synth could sound better than a cheap analog one.

and vice versa. instruments are funny like that.
>>
>>64264752
>>64264855
I see. Thank you, anons.
>>
>>64261104
A hardware synth will alwasy give you a fuller sound because it's literally voltage. They will give you a compound sound, that will sound brighter and thicker.

VSTs work just fine once you learn how to use them. Layering your sounds is a great way to make them seem fuller like an analog synth, so with a bit of effort and practice the difference is not too much, especially for the average listener.

If you have the money to spare and you're serious about music, I'd recommend it, but a MIDI controller and VSTs work just as well.
>>
>>64261104
>Are analog synths a meme?

Yes. They do sound different compared to VST/VA and other digital synths, but the hype is mostly because
A) analog is muh vintage
B) subtractive is easy and 90% of analog synths are subtractive

IMO the bigger thing is hardware. Hardware with controls is more important to me then analog vs digital from a workflow aspect.
>>
>>64265044
Yes, but you can easily map parameters on modern MIDI controllers.

There is no reason to buy a digital keyboard synth nowadays. The only exception is hardware that uses some crazy non-keyboard layout, like some Elektron boxes.

The only hardware worth buying is analog and MIDI controllers. And analog only if you like that particular sound. (Everyone should try at least one though.)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.