[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/p4k/ - Nightly Pitchfork Countdown Hypetrain Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: princefork.png (89 KB, 418x455) Image search: [Google]
princefork.png
89 KB, 418x455
Fellow Pitchfork patricians, it is once again the time for our nightly countdown for Pitchfork's 5 new reviews to be updated on the site at 1am eastern time.

10.0?
0.0?
Best New Music?
Best New Reissue?
8.0+ with no BNM?
A shitty set of 7's and below?
Weird Al’s eternal BNM incoming hypetrain!
Noctourniquetcourtsney Barnett Review?
Titus Andronicus being robbed once again?
Dead Sara
Ian FUCKIN' Cohen?
Ryan "THE TASTEMAKER" Dombal?
Lindsay "qt feminist" Zoladz? [retired patrician, memory lives on forever]
Jayson "8.7" Greene?
Larry "retired BNM godfather" Fitzmaurice?
Craig "Meme Rap" Jenkins?
Brandon “Meme Metal” Stosuy?
qt Kim "retired Meal Goddess now at Noisey" Kelly?
Grayson "Grizzly" Currin?
Brian "Backup" Howe?
Mark "the elder statesman" Richardson?
Evan "IS GARAGE ROCK DEAD" Minsker?
Meaghan “retired trap queen" Garvey?
Andy "secretly alpha" Beta?
Zoe "¡DALE!" Camp?
Philip "Electronic Wizard” Sherburne?
Stephen "M." Deusner?
Laura "Sun Kil Buffoon" Snapes?

Will someone dethrone Kanye West’s 30 out of 10 for AOTY?

OFFICIAL and accurate 2016 BNM Tally: 16

The most wonderful time of the night, every night, right now. Here it is, the nightly P4K thread. Time to get comfy.

>P4K Collection Rar (Over 300 deleted reviews, pics of every staff member, very badly needs to be updated)
https://mega.nz/#!zoQGBCYK!evBav1uwKekImmse6g35z2lRgdGXxxUh8nyVSTyShl0

>Tonight's Top Stories
-RIP Prince. Thank you for everything.
-This thread stands with Kesha eternally
-This thread hypes and supports DIIV, Bat for Lashes, Car Seat Headrest, Islands, Vijay Iyer, Swans, and Tim Heidecker.
>>
Prince review day next week a la Bowie?
>>
>>64248678
I'd imagine so.
>>
File: sixpointzero.png (1 MB, 1219x720) Image search: [Google]
sixpointzero.png
1 MB, 1219x720
Hate to be that guy, but anyone else think he hadn't been that good since "The Gold Experience"?
>>
>>64248620
Bless you for Princefork
>>
prince's suicide is a deft career move to overshadow bowie
>>
>>64248678
if p4k doesn't give Prince the one 10 for purple rain and the rest 5's and 6's for the rest of his trash albums then it's the 234th confirmation that p4k is more washed than Prince was
>>
Andy Stott 8.1? hopefully higher tho
>>
File: 1461024682036.png (984 KB, 863x661) Image search: [Google]
1461024682036.png
984 KB, 863x661
I don't understand. People STILL unironically care about pitchfork? Or is this r/indieheads?
>>
>>64249449
>unironically
>>
>>64249449
i'm just here for the memes and for zoeposting, which i guess is just a meme as well.

I'm just here for the memes
>>
>>64249311
Sign O the Times gets the 10, pleb.
>>
>>64249738
I want Prince's ghost to LEAVE
>>
>>64249449
I mainly still read out of old habit. Don't put much stock in their reviews anymore, but still check out the BNMs and what a couple of their writers rate in the 7s.

And this thread is so damn comfy, man.
>>
can't lie I read this in Pitbull's voice and it brought a tear to my eye ¡DALE!
>>
>>64249449
I've been following P4k since 2004

It's changed so much and I haven't liked the direction its been going since ~2010 but I just can't quit and live a P4kless life
>>
one of these days I want to talk about who or what is going to dethrone p4k with someone who knows their shit

it will be some other site like p4k and not last.fm or spotify algorithms

and it's not tmt
>>
>>64249311
you couldn't make it any more clear you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>64250176
IDK, TMT likes too esoteric music to be that replacement, but there really isn't any other notable music publication with any clout covering that world of music
>>
>>64250208
I guess I'd say Fantano, but he's arguably as bad as Pitchfork, especially in the past year or so
>>
>>64250176
i feel like P4k got its 'fame' by championing and hyping bands that eventually got into the 'indie' mainstream. a bit of luck also was needed as P4k was on the rise coincidentally as the popularity of 'indie' music rose as well.
the next site would need to have a series of these moments consistently as well.

imo their rise may be attributed to the how good they were at 'predicting' and hyping the various trends in indie music even if they were brief.

the most notable example would probably be Arcade Fire, but also (briefly) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Wolf Parade, The Fiery Furnaces, the Swedish 'balearic' period (Sincerely Yours label and its bands), the start of chillwave (Neon Indian et al. ~2009). that's what i can remember at least

Once MBDTF came out they hyped the shit out of it and moved towards hip hop just as hip hop was also garnering even greater mainstream attention than it had in the past. it may just be luck or maybe they're prescient about these things.

just what I feel happened. i could be completely wrong as I'm sure somebody probably can point out another online reviewer that followed similar trends.
>>
>>64250485
oh and of course Animal Collective
>>
hey guys ryan schreiber here
reviews have been cancelled for tonight in light of the passing of our good friend prince
i encourage you all to go home and spend some time with your loved ones

best,
ryan
>>
>>64250485
they were also the first major "indie" music website, and back when there weren't dozens upon dozens of blogs and other webzines covering the same shit. there will never be another p4k because there are way too many options and alternatives for just one web site to get that influential again
>>
>>64250683
yeah i was thinking that, but i was hesitant and maybe thought i lacked perspective.
could definitely be true.

i only really browsed p4k and also drowned in sound back then.
>>
Daily reminder that DEAKIN was FUCKING robbed.
>>
>>64250485
don't forget DFA/LCD Soundsystem hyping. i almost feel they are entirely responsible for James Murphy's success 2bh (but part of that is just my disdain for LCD Soundsystem)

related, but does anyone still listen to The Rapture? They loved them some Echoes when it came out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HP04nfUi4g
>>
>>64250485
Man, Clap Your Hands, that really went downhill on Pitchfork's end
>>
>>64250897
ye echoes was aoty 2003 right

should have been m83 desu
>>
>>64250897
No, their AOTY was completely ludicrious, even back in 2003
>>
>>64250907
bahahaha they hyped the shit out a labeless band, then dropped them like a hot rock

brutal
>>
File: black-kids-btfo.jpg (55 KB, 781x622) Image search: [Google]
black-kids-btfo.jpg
55 KB, 781x622
>>64250946
they did that a few times

>this mea culpa for liking Black Kids in the first place
mild lel
>>
>>64250927
or the wrens lah
>>
hell yeah blood visions. great fucking record.
>>
>>64251013
was about to say the same thing

also Sorority Noise BTFO
>>
>>64251004
or the Books, or Unicorns, or Sufjan, or Radiohead, or Caribou, or the Shins, basically anyone but Rapture
>>
NIGHTLY RUNDOWN
Jay Reatard 9.1 BNR by Evan Minsker
Konono N°1 / Batida 6.8 by Andy Beta
Primitive Weapons 8.0 by Saby Reyes-Kulkarni
Sorority Noise 6.6 by Evan Rytlewski
>>
>another 4 review night
Is this the new standard baka?
>>
JAY'S CAREER IS SAVED
>>
..and now jay reatard is back!

thanks for sharing the nostalgia anons
>>
>>64250897
I agree on LCD. They fucking suck dick. I used to tolerate them until they reunited after the last big goodbye or whatever the fuck we're calling it. I wish Prince raped James with his AIDS dick before he died.
>>
>>64251885
be less edgy next time
>>
>>64252359
>Be less edgy
>on 4chan
Pick one
>>
>>64251056
unfortunately.
>>
>>64251056
We get five four review nights and one five review each week
>>
Blood Visions is the best punk record of the 2000s imo
>>
>>64250485
Hip Hop is mainstream for decades...wtf are you talking about?
I've known about hip hop since the late 90's when i was a kid and all i had to do was turn on the tv.
>>
>>64250176
When Basementality gets off wordpress, it'll be the replacement
>>
I fucking hate these threads because they gum up the archives when searching for downloads thanks to the mega link in the OP, and for something as ridiculous as a discussion of Pitchfork. Like, seriously guys? Don't you have something better to do?
>>
>>64252359
Cry about it you dumb faggot.
>>
>>64256597
nah
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.