[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>wants to maintain legacy >prevents own music from being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 7
File: xcf.jpg (76 KB, 650x430) Image search: [Google]
xcf.jpg
76 KB, 650x430
>wants to maintain legacy
>prevents own music from being posted on youtube, etc
>dies
>basically nobody under 25 actually knows who the fuck he is now
great going retard
>>
And people will say "well if they don't put any effort to finding out his music then maybe it's a good thing they don't know who he is" but the truth is, in a world where everyone who is relevant allows their music to be on Youtube, things like this do matter.

It's ironic how, in an effort to preserve his legacy, he doesn't leave one for the current generation.

Agreed OP.
>>
Get cucked you filthy millenials.
You missed it.

Go listen to your shitty trap and kpop playlists and cry about it.
>>
i'm 20 and knew who prince was since i was 13 because of dave chappelle.
>>
>>64247504
Can you read that out on vocaroo? I wanna laugh at how it sounds.
>>
What? How the fuck would you not be aware of who Prince is? There's 15 years olds that aren't "lewronggenerationxD" that know who Prince is.
>>
prince was the go to "underground" artist. Uber Normies knew about Michael Jackson and Normies that want to be Patrician liked Prince.
>>
>>64247558
yeah, but how many actually know even a handful of his songs well?
>>
>>64247558
if you're a 'normie' you can't easily listen to purple rain and or little red corvette on youtube or spotify (prior to today). that's a failure.
>>
Believe me, now Warner Brothers is basically gonna go on mental promoting the fuck out of his music.

It's basically the biggest promotional stunt ever
>>
>>64247504
his music was mediocre anyways, nothing of walue was lost
>>
>>basically nobody under 25 actually knows who the fuck he is now
that's straight up not true, so regardless of how you feel about him being so against online streaming this whole post is just dumb as hell
>>
>>64247963
you took the wording way too literally
>>
Prince was always the patrician pop choice against others like Michael Jackson. Spotify and youtube are garbage, they're just a monopoly so everyone uses them.
>>
>>64247733
ah, clever then isn't it?
if you've noticed the amount of official music being uploaded on to youtube (ie. [ARTIST] - Topic channels), prince's material is gonna go there reaaaaaaaaaaaally soon
>>64247963
there is no trace of Prince music on the free video streaming sites or those other stuff. none at all
>>
>>64247558
I'm a sophomore in a college and a friend told me he had never actually heard a Prince song. He had seen Chappelle's Show so he knew who Prince was, but never actually heard his music. I'm guessing this was at least somewhat common.
>>
>>64247455
Agreed.
>>
>>64247782
let's see what you got, faggot
>>
>>64248350
F A L L A C Y
A
L
L
A
C
Y
>>
>15 years old
>Want to get into Prince
>Search for an album on YouTube
>There's none
>Flashforward to present day
>Still don't know any song by him
>>
>>64247455
everybody knows Lenny Kravitz
>>
Do millenials really don't know who prince is?
I knew who he was since i was 7 and i was born in 1991.
>>
>>64247455
he became religious and discovered the Truth and when he realized his past music was pretty degenerate, he decided to prevent degenerate influences by blocking others from hearing those songs. you have to understand that music has the ability to influence the spirit
>>
>>64248857
Yes. I am sure there are countless people who do this:

>>64248710
>>
>>64248857
I know him by name, I don't know any of his songs' names.
>>
Most people of this generation at least know the name Prince and recognize his general appearance, maybe the cover of Purple Rain but besides that I'll admit to knowing close to nothing about him.
>>
>>64247455
One thing of note against millennials so far, just in a general sense, is the assumption that the world has always been the way it is now and how could someone possibly make an artistic, personal, and political decision from a time before this one that doesn't serve me and my reality now? You guys are almost as bad as boomers in this respect. Just something to think about.
>>
>>64249000
That doesn't really have much to do with what OP's talking about though. I don't know much about Prince but given his speech about BLM a few months ago, I can't imagine he really has views that differ from the average millennial in most things related to current life, the internet notwithstanding.
>>
>>64249073
He was a fucking Jehovah's Witness, so there's that. They have some pretty crazy fundamentalist type beliefs.
>>
Saw purple rain as a kid and thought it was the dumbest shit I've ever seen.
Same thing applies now.
Get fucked grand-dad.
>>
>>64249073
My point is that Prince had a long standing battle with the business side of the industry, way before everything was 'free'. It wasn't about legacy, it was about creative control and staying paid. He didn't have Beatles/Stones/Zeppelin money and didn't want to license his music for ads. He saw what was coming and drew his lines. Short sighted maybe, in today's musical landscape, but his back catalog sold well consistently for the last twenty years or so and he didn't have to whore himself out to do it. I can respect that. He got paid for his work.
>>
Most of my friends in university (3rd year) say they know the name, the face, and the Purple Rain. That's it for almost all of them,
>>
File: 1461290874507.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1461290874507.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>64247504
I sure missed out on shitty nigger bongo gay rock. Basically rap stemmed from his Jewish garbage.

Also get of 4chan grandpa.
>>
>>64247455
haha so true. i literally dont get how these post milenials who literally maybe only recognize one or two songs vaguely pretend to care he died. almost as bad as people who acted like they were big fans at ornett colemans death
>>
>>64247677
You can say the same for Bowie, or any artist before this millenium.
>>
My girlfriend said she was suprised how few people were talking about his death at school since he's so famous until I explained the thing with him and the Internet. Everyone knows who Prince is but very few people have a real knowledge of his music. Nobody knows more than the 6 or so singles that get irregular airplay on classic rock radio and even then they might not know its by Prince. And I'm guilty of that too
>>
>>64248892
I would listen to Sine by Kode9 and The Spaceape for years and only a few months ago did I realise that it was a cover of sign o the times.
>>
>Prince
>Ever applying to my life or the genres I listen to.
>Implying pop listeners have taste.

In b4 someone says I'm trolling or being an edgy teenager. 25 here.
>>
>>64249310
I was going to argue about this but then I realized I didn't know any Bowie songs really before I willingly delved into his discography.
>>
>>64249434
so you're an immature adult

lol
>>
>>64249434
You're proving the point of the thread more or less, actually.
>>
>>64249441
star man is the definitive momrock song
>>
>>64249434
Unless you're one of those people who actually listens to nothing but art music then there's really no reason for you to get some superiority complex over not liking an acclaimed pop artist. And if you are someone who shuns all pop music entirely then this board probably isn't a great place for you.
>>
So it was AIDS right?
>>
>>64249447
Got 'em
>>64249456
Glad to be of help
>>
>>64249516
Yeah, just browsing. Wanted to test the waters of this board. Glad theres no bait.png, but yes most of what I listen to is in that style.
>>
>>64247504
This.

If you don't have it in you to at the very least torrent his greatest hits, it's absolutely your fault you missed out.
No sympathies, children.
>>
>>64249310
>>64249441
Every normie has heard Space Oddity and a few other Bowie songs. Most normies born after 1995 haven't heard any Prince songs.
>>
>>64249617
ok yeah, for us autistic nerds on /mu/ yeah

but what about the average normie that doesn't know where to find his music
>>
>>64249623
I can sincerely say I hadn't heard Space Oddity, or at least had it drilled into my head, before listening to Bowie's catalog. Until his death I hadn't even heard it on the classic rock station. The only ones I vaguely recognized were Changes (which is probably because of Shrek more than anything) and Fame.
>>
>>64249638
best buy or itunes
>>
What was Prince's deal anyway? I never understood why he didn't want his music on the internet.
>>
>>64249623
I think it's mostly a cultural thing. 80s synth funk and R&B doesn't really translate to a young white audience the way classic rock does, especially if you learned about music at a young age from your parents. Same reason Motown has fallen into complete obscurity while every bad dad rock band still gets airtime.

All the Prince fans I know my age are black or Hispanic
>>
>>64249707
lol, buying music
>>
>>64249623
Not even Let's Go Crazy? I think not.

>>64249638
Almost everybody uses shit like TPB these days, even the dumbest of the dumb.
>>
>>64247504
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0HzcUDg3tXB
i got you senpai
>>
>>64249731
Nah, Motown is "safe" classic black music at this point.
>>
>>64249597
Name a few of your favorite albums
>>
>>64249286
>>>/b/

please stay there, never comeback.
>>
I just got kicked from my skype group for changing its name to "Prince Died Lol XDDD"

Anyways, fuck Prince, hes a fucking cockhead
>>
File: eyepatch prince.jpg (13 KB, 229x280) Image search: [Google]
eyepatch prince.jpg
13 KB, 229x280
>>64249724
He felt that the medium didn't fairly compensate artists. He refused to allow his music to be streamed before Taylor Swift famously made her stand against Apple. But even before that he was always skeptical about the business side of the music industry. I mean one of the first ways they get you is by taking away your publishing rights and locking you into a multi-album deal. Where do you think cell-phone & internet providers got the idea from?
>>
>>64249920
>fuck Prince, hes a fucking cockhead
oh great, now we can't have this opinion
>>
>>64247455
>if it's not found on youtube, I don't know who they are
Sounds like people under 25 are fucking idiots
>>
>>64249920
Your favorite band is fucking Oasis, the Gallagher brothers were two of the biggest cockheads of the 90s. Hell, Liam is still a massive cockhead.
>>
Stop replying to yourself Montie.
>>
>>64249875
what do you mean safe
>>
>>64250026
I think he means it's the kind of stuff moms and boomers listen to while lamenting the current state of black music and shit
>>
>>64250026
You can play it and virtually no one in any demographic will be offended.
>>
>>64250101
This is true. Motown music in the 50s was quite literally black music intended for a white audience.
>>
>>64249949
they never tried to sue people who recorded their covers of other bands songs live though

>>64249994
wahhhh monite gets attention on this board
>>
His music is all over youtube. You're fucking retarded.
>>
so... he died of a drug overdose or aids? can't tell if it's been confirmed
>>
>>64247455
Pretty much.
>>
>>64250161
everything has been uploaded in the past day, is a live video, or fake
>>
I was curious about checking out his deep cuts, but just took in that yeah, none of his shit is up to stream anywhere. Not on YouTube, or Spotify, or even Apple Music. I'm all for musicians doing whatever they want with their music, it's their material, but doesn't pulling a move like that stunt the chances of getting people all over to listen to their music? With an artist as vast in discography as Prince, I feel like delving into his work by way of torrenting a Greatest Hits comp just sullies the point of even bothering.
>>
>>64249875
>>64250026
Most soul/funk/R&B remains fairly obscure to white audiences, but there were the handful of monster singles like I Feel Good, Jungle Boogie, and Brick House that had crossover appeal and everyone and their mother has heard.
>>
>>64249534
Nah, I'm willing to bet it was complications stemming from an opiate overdose. That emergency landing was to get him some naloxone, and Prince being on painkillers is believable due to his hip issues.
>>
>>64250214
Well then torrent things that aren't a greatest hits comp. Like his discography. Or DDL if you don't like torrenting.

>>64250247
I think they still play the popular stuff on oldies stations where I live. And God knows everyone know Marvin Gaye and the Temptations and stuff on that level.
>>
>>64249266
this
>>
>>64250247
And actually, it got worse in the 80s when the post-disco backlash all-but banished black artists not named Michael Jackson from white radio. The R&B of this era is far more obscure than the 70s funksters.
>>
>All the fucking contrarians on this board

Jesus fuck. The man is dead and all you fucking faggots can do is be the pieces of shit you are
>lel Prince wasn't even that good :^)
Well your """opinion""" is SHIT. It's fucking TRASH, as are you. God fucking damn if only death had taken all of you faggots instead of Prince, the world would be SUCH a better place than it is today. NONE of you cunts will EVER achieve the artistic and musical heights Prince reached in only 57 years of life. You should all be ASHAMED for even BEGINNING to think that Prince wasn't a musical GENIUS. But then again, what the fuck else should I expect from a board and a website this fucking terrible. Filled to the brim with NEETs and leeches on society such as yourselves. FUCK you ALL.
>>
>>64250247
The impression I got is that whites only heard Jungle Boogie from Pulp Fiction 20 years after it came out.
>>
>>64250351
OP here, I'm not even saying that Prince is bad at all

that's not the point of this thread
>>
And I'd be willing to gamble that Purple Rain is the only track in Prince's vast catalog that most whites have ever heard of.
>>
>>64250351
hey man i'm neet and i loved the guys music, blame the bitter wage slaves.
>>
>>64250370
I wasn't alive in the 70s to say for sure, but I doubt they would have included it on the PF soundtrack if it had been that obscure. Now K&TG's other big single Hollywood Swinging is definitely unknown to whites. When was the last time you ever heard that sampled somewhere?

Why Can't We Be Friends was also a huge crossover hit; they even used it as the official theme song of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in 1975.
>>
>>64250404
Yeah, you can't run his shit through youtube-to-mp3 and thus his music has apparently faded into the depths of obscurity. I more or less agree with >>64249266. There's no reason to trash-talk a dead man because he was a bit of an eccentric with ideas he didn't want to budge on.
>>
>>64250342
It took Aerosmith to bring black music back to prominence, but hilariously enough dumb white trash called them traitors for doing a collab with Run DMC.
>>
Superfreak was a big crossover hit at the time but it seems to have faded into obscurity and you never hear it anymore like the songs mentioned in >>64250247
>>
>>64250247
Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, The Ronettes (and most Spector one-hit wonder groups/solo artists, Ben E. King, etc), Etta James, Nina Simone (if we're counting her, she was definitely more artsy than any of the others I mentioned) are all mainstream at this point.
>>
>>64250507
No one's even attacking the man himself, we're just saying (and this thread is evidence enough) that he shot himself in the foot when it comes to his views on the internet.
>>
>>64250507
I'm not trash-talking him as an actual artist at all

I'm just saying his 'ideas' ended up seeming counter-productive in the end; in fact, I really only made the thread because he seems to be quite respected and would clearly be appreciated by a lot more people if his music was more accessible

you're just being a spaz right now
>>
In fact it was actually Ray Charles who first introduced the gimmick of female backing singers and within 10 years this was so commonplace that most people assumed it had always existed.
>>
>>64250527
Yeah....Michael Jackson sure as hell wasn't mainstream back then. Yes, his stuff obviously had/has huge crossover appeal, but the influences were firmly black music based.
>>
>>64247455
THE ONLY SONG I KNOW FROM THIS DEAD NIGGER WAS PURPLE RAIN. DO I CARE ? YOU BET YOUR ASS I DONT.
>>
>>64250558
Ok, most people can at least name Satisfaction and Let's Get It On, but I doubt the average person can name an Otis Redding, Etta James, or Nina Simone tune without Wikipedia.
>>
>>64250630
why do so many /pol/ go to other boards and xplicitly anounce themselves
>>
>>64250621
He was the extremely big exception, but other than him, black music largely receded to black radio during the Reagan years because of the anti-disco backlash.
>>
>>64247455

baka desu senpai
>>
>>64250646
Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay and A Change is Gonna Come are both considered some of the defining songs of the 20th century. Obama quoted them in his acceptance speech during the 08 election.

(and yeah, I know A Change is Gonna Come is a Cooke song, in case this post implied otherwise)
>>
>>64250654
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N6ZWFj-va4
ITS A GOOD SONG THOUGH G
>>
>>64250194
Thanks for agreeing.
>>
>>64250723
rest in peace sweet princess
>>
File: 1451922990685.jpg (11 KB, 196x204) Image search: [Google]
1451922990685.jpg
11 KB, 196x204
>>64250725
>being this dumb
>>
>>64250585
Well no shit, people have bitched about the lack of Prince on YouTube for years, it's a well-known thing. But hell, any kid interested in music can handle pirating things these days. I'm not >>64250351, but now that he's dead we can give the ridicule a little bit of a rest.
>>
>>64250720
Woops. Obama only quoted A Change.
>>
There were several black artists who had one-off hits in the 80s like Donna Summer (who fell far from her late 70s heyday) and Rick James. Otherwise...I guess Whitney Houston had a pretty big one with How Will I Know but her biggest hit was in the 90s and it was a cover.
>>
>>64250558
>and most Spector one-hit wonder groups/solo artists

*cough*BettyEverett*cough*
>>
Heck, I'd argue most white people have never heard a rapper outside Eminem and 50 Cent. Everyone's heard of Tupac/Biggie/Snoop/Nas/Jay-Z, but very few whites can actually name a track of theirs other than Ghetto Gospel (a collab with a white dude)
>>
>>64250881
Well, if we're counting only our generation (which I know you aren't, but still)...literally everyone knows at least over a dozen hip-hop songs. The biggest ones are probably Stronger and Not Afraid. Fuck Tha Police is probably one of the most well-known ones for the previous generation...not necessarily for the song itself though.
>>
>>64250960
>Not Afraid

I'm pretty sure that that was made by a white dude.
>>
>>64248857
people have heard of him cause of dave chapelle, as the crazy artist who changed his name to a symbol, weird kevin smith tales, etc...

but music wise he was very far from what was popular in the 90s and pop music from 80s has just begun to gain caché amongst hipsterdom. so people are just now trying to get into prince and haven't been able to. plus his style, titles 4 his albums and reputation as an "80s guy" may dissuade some.
>>
>>64247733
I hope emancipation is re-issued immediately. He actually made a 3 hour album the absolute madman!
>>
>>64250214

Its on Tidal if you want to pay for that
>>
>>64247455

>be celebrating 4/20 with a co-worker
>she takes me to her semi cute friends house
>we all get too stoned to do anything but talk
>she is a huge Prince fan
>shows me her Prince stuff
>went to his last performance in Atlanta last week and shit
>go home, sleep 14 hours
>wake up, Prince is dead
>girl is absolutely devastated
>feels bad

/mu/sic for this feel?
>>
his music is shit
who cares lmao
>>
Share his music!
links?
>>
>>64252112
>but music wise he was very far from what was popular in the 90s

Yeah we know what was popular in the 90s.

>I am a whiny faggot who worships smelly junkies who wrote songs whining about how bad they smell
>>
>>64252524
And I mean, in the black music world, everything in the 90s was thug rap. Prince really kind of didn't fit into the world of Tupac and Ice Cube.
>>
>>64252587
Gangsta rap was just the black version of alternative rock. Different sound, same Gen Xer angst.
>>
>>64250553
Superfreak and Rick James got shafted hard by MTV because muh midwest cable audience
>>
>>64247512
This and my parents playing it in the car
>>
I'm 19 and I've known and listened to Prince my entire life, but I am also MInnesotan, so.
>>
I don't know many artists that have been sticklers about copyright and trying to only preserve the physical formats but, pretty much they're just getting lost in obscurity because nobody cares to buy a CD on a gamble anymore, and no radio stations play Prince. It's just people that are afraid of the internet desu
>>
>>64252756
>and no radio stations play Prince

No white radio stations at any rate.
>>
>>64249943
Nah, it works like this:

> Can`t find it on YT
> It means that the guy is so much crap that nobody bothers to post his work
> Move on

Sad, but that`s how it works these days, if it`s not on the net, then it doesn`t exist. And most people don`t even consider possibility that anyone wouldn`t want his stuff propagated on the most influential medium of all times.
>>
>>64250194
>check YT
>sure enough it's true
Fucking nice.
>>
>>64250413
when doves cry? let's go crazy?
>>
>>64248869
Thank you and God bless.
>>
>>64247455
>prevents own music from being posted on youtube, etc

Buy his fucking music , retard
>>
>>64250584
>that he shot himself in the foot when it comes to his views on the internet
How? Because he made it a little harder for some doofus to download his albums for free?
>>
File: viper.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
viper.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
>>64247504
if you're older than a millenial and you're on here, who's the real cuck?
>>
>>64247455
OK, but you better say the same thing about King Crimson if you want me to take your opinion seriously
>>
His stifg is corny as guck and too long to be catchy
Elton John is better desu baka cum
>>
File: Wake me up.gif (944 KB, 413x296) Image search: [Google]
Wake me up.gif
944 KB, 413x296
>>64247558
I've heard people ask "who is David Bowie?" when he died so don't be surprised when people don't know who Prince is
>>
I can understand millenial normies not knowing who Prince is, but people who browse a fucking music board have no excuse.
>>
>>64248710
>See the video for the track Purple Rain when I was 13
>Intrigued by his look and sound. Loved the guitar.
>Go online
>Not much shit
>Go to pirate bay because not a retard and get his entire discog
>10 years later still have it

???
>>
>>64249848
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s0HzcUDg3tXB
wow you even sound like an autist. Is anyone on this board normal?
>>
>>64252587
>>64252524
You sound exactly like a soccer mom from the 90's/early 2000's
>>
>>64250881
Why do you say that like it's a bad thing?
>>
>>64250881
It makes me sad to think the only 2Pac song a lot of people might know is a posthumus song that's a butchered remix.
>>
>>64254540
Because he made it harder for people to listen to his music and WANT to download his music, even harder for them to want to buy his music when they can get literally everything else for free much easier.
>>
Glad i got Tidal, when it first came out. It was lit having access to Prince's catalog.
>>
File: rocking chair.jpg (434 KB, 1280x1556) Image search: [Google]
rocking chair.jpg
434 KB, 1280x1556
>>64247504
How's the arthritis treating you, grandpa?
>>
>>64247455
Dude everybody's mom loves Prince. If she didn't she never danced all night to electro in LA and your mom is lame.
>>
>>64249617
>>64247504

How has anyone "missed out". His music is still there, he's just dead.
>>
>>64249317
Prince on classic rock radio? Shit, that guy was a lil faggot to the narrator of that Dire Straits song, and most working men around where I grew up don't want Prince to fuck with their Skynyrd.
>>
>>64247455
/thread

fuck off Princefags, this manlet stopped to be relevant 3 decades ago.
>>
He was even more autistic about piracy than Robert Fripp. Impressive really
>>
>>64247504
Millennial here just torrented purple rain
>>
>>64258997
It's going to be insane when Fripp dies and every music writer who believes KC is important will have to bend over backwards to convince young people that KC is worth listening to while everyone just shrugs because they can't find a link to 21st Century Schizoid Man anywhere.
It's not even like it is with Prince, where he's so popular that everyone kind of knows who he is anyway. Fripp and KC actually have a danger of being completely forgotten by everyone.
>>
>implying death isn't a sure fire way to leave behind a legacy.

When the whit black man died my five year old cousin became obsessed with the fucker.
"aww shit you heard (greatest hits) can't believe he died"

Going to be the same shit ,minus me having a first hand account in the matter
>>
>>64247504
Prince was fucking gay go fuck yourself
Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.