[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you actually like Prince?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 395x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 395x300
Is anyone on /mu/ really having remorse over his death? Prince was too old to be relevant with the crowd on /mu/.

I felt more with Bowie. For real though, are there /mu/tant's out there that were really into his music? Never got into him.
>>
>>64245357
yes, and as long as we're tastelessly comparing dead celebrities, i thought his sound was a lot more exciting than Bowie's dadrock generica power ballads
>>
feelin this more than bowie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEHCNMuX-64
>>
>>64245357
>Prince was too old to be relevant with the crowd on /mu/.
>Never got into him.

Believe it or not, not everyone here is underage like you are.
>>
>>64245357
>Prince was too old to be relevant with the crowd on /mu/

wat
>>
I think Prince really hurt his legacy by not allowing it on Youtube, Spotify, etc., which is ironic because he was trying to protect it. Seems like most 16-22 year olds nowadays either don't know him or only know the "look how out of touch I am" guy from the media
>>
>>64245395
>>64245395
>>64245395
>>64245395
>>
My guess is that OP really enjoys sucking dicks, for free.
>>
chris ott had some great things to say today on twitter:

I' credit Bowie for making pop itself his energy source, but he was a stoker.

Prince burned elementally, from first flame to last.'

'Dunno. I can't stop smiling over how much he accomplished, and how he leveraged that success to bullshit-proof his life.'
>>
i never really listened to prince since his shit isn't on youtube
listened to red corvette or whatever it's called today and found it pretty shit honestly
but i know that lots of people really liked his shit so meh
>>
>>64245357
>prince was too old
>felt more with bowie

you do realise bowie was, what, 12 years older than prince?
>>
I've never listened to him. I'll probably download a few of his albums now just to see what all the fuss was about... so thanks for that Prince, I guess.
>>
>>64245357
aw mu is full of babies. i sometimes forget this.
>>
Will considering that I own 2 of his albums on vinyl and Purple Rain is in my opinion one of the greatest pop albums, and in general, one of the greatest albums of all time, yeah I do actually like him.
>>
>liked a few songs
>couldn't get through an entire album (and I really fuckin tried)
>his music is cheesy AF
I respect his virtuosic skills, but I think most of his hype was due to brilliant myth-making
>>
I like his early works as just "Prince". When he had the Revolution with him was the greatest era of his music.
Fuck that New Power Generation and the whole sign as a name stuff. There were maybe 2 or 3 song from that era that didn't suck.
>>
>>64245384
.did u listen. To the kraut influenced albums. Or the soul influenced album. Or the goth rock album. Or his electronic/jazz album. Or his noise-y albums. Yeah, didnt think so.
>>
>>64245405
>Seems like most 16-22 year olds nowadays either don't know him or only
>hurt his legacy by not allowing it on Youtube, Spotify,

Actually true, I'm 21 and I couldn't think of a single song of his that I could playback in my head. I went and had a look on youtube, fuck all, spotify, fuck all, and decided he wasn't relevant.
>>
>>64245586
no, he was too old to be relevant with me

I felt more with Prince. never got into him
>>
you guys ready for a brutally sad comic about celebrity deaths?

http://www.achewood.com/index.php/index.php?date=06282009
>>
I thought it was a given that everyone has at least heard the Purple Rain album. Apparently not.
>>
>>64245644
>webcomics
Hello, Reddit!
>>
File: comic.gif (67 KB, 700x946) Image search: [Google]
comic.gif
67 KB, 700x946
forgot this is an image sharing site...here u go
>>
>>64245357
He was a better musician than Bowie in every respect.

>>64245405
This, I've heard his music since I was a kid, but his eccentric stance on the internet caused an entire generation to miss out.
>>
>>64245596
How do you not know "When doves cry" or "Little red Corvette"?
>>
I literally felt nothing but slight shock for Bowie. Prince I actually feel a part of my childhood has died, because my parents and I would listen to his greatest hits all the time.
>>
i dunno man, i think the pathos is more suitable for 4chan
>>
All his music aged terribly. I'm sure it was great in its time, but nah, I can't say I'm a fan. LMLYP is great though.
>>
>>64245675
man, how'd they bring back Achewood after like two dang years and act like nothing happened
>>
>>64245357
OP, you were probably conceived to his music.
>>
File: scrim.gif (2 MB, 500x509) Image search: [Google]
scrim.gif
2 MB, 500x509
I FEEL NOTHING
FUCK PRINCE
>>
>>64245704
No one in my family listens to/or likes Prince.
>>
it isn't really an age thing.

everything split into a ton of genres and subgenres for a reason.

just because jennifer anniston dies doesn't mean you suddenly like rom coms
>>
Just heard about his death and it's hit me pretty bad.

It is a shame that his music is pretty difficult to find online because there's so much great stuff.

Check out how happy a Daft Punk looks playing Prince at a party

https://youtu.be/-uG1vL3AZLQ?t=1m6s
>>
>>64245357
I'm just visiting but when I used to use this board regularly back in like 2010/11 Prince was pretty popular here. Now I only stop by when somebody dies because you guys have terrible taste.
>>
>>64245733
But this still sounds fresh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qB04Fb2ao
>>
Sign O the Times is one of my favorite 80s albums.
>>
>>64245596
if you can't think of "1999" you might just need to be 18+ to post here because that song was played just about everyday around New Years 1999
>>
>>64245745
Sometimes I'm very happy I'm black. But I understand, I don't really know any Beatle'ss/Aerosimith/other widely popular white bands music. Ringo's "Y Not" was brilliant tho
>>
>>64245357
Oh really? Whitey McWhiteson felt sadder when bowie died than when prince died??? WOWW WHAT A SHOCK.
>>
>>64245786
18 year olds were born in 98 bro we're getting old
>>
>>64245357
I liked Prince's music more than Bowies. His death sucks.
>>
I remember his movie having some big ol titties in it for a bit which meant a lot before the internet. So there's that I guess.
>>
>>64245790
nah most nigs only like ooga booga gansta rap and Beyonce and hate everything else

only nigs over age 50 know about good music
>>
My moms a pretty big prince fan so I just have a lot of his songs embedded into my subconscious whether it be his biggest hits or deep cuts. I got really into purple rain again last summer and the title track makes me feel so nostalgic. I was just kinda shocked when I heard he died I was with a lot of people and it was weird talking to them and trying to imagine a prince less world just because his music had always been omnipresent in my life
>>
>>64245586
you can be influenced by good things but it doesn't mean the results are good
>>
>>64245644
>>64245675
>>64245736
THEY WHAT?
>>
Raspberry Barret is on of my GOAT
>>
>>64245357
>Prince was too black to be relevant with the crowd on /mu/

fixed that for you
>>
>>64245775
It sounds spoiled, man. So obviously of it's time. It's got some interesting things happening, but overall pretty boring/not my thing.
>>
>>64245819
they also could have watched his Super Bowl performance in 2007 which was considered the biggest and best of all time and he has performed at countless Grammys, Oscars etc.

you have to be an utter neckbeard pleb to not know a Prince song
>>
>>64245845
Was that really the first thing that popped into your mind the second you encountered a black anon? What would your parents say?
>>
lcd soundsystem better not fcking cover a prince song for coachella 2017. indie bands stay far away
>>
>>64245858
Lovely non-argument you have there, but unless you say something which actually means something I'm afraid I won't be able to answer you.
>>
File: Untitled.png (301 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
301 KB, 1440x900
>>
>>64245897
i wasn't asking a question, i didn't want an answer ;)
>>
>>64245786
I can barely remember what I was doing last week let alone what happened when I was 4 years old.

I did look up >>64245704 and yeah I sort of remember them from the radio 15 years ago but because it's not what my parents were big on I didn't hear it as often as others.
>>
>>64245889
they would say they are glad they aren't black as well because 99% of blacks like shit music and hate everything else
>>
>>64245798
I hope you're only pretending to act like a liberal cunt
>#whitepeoplestuff

If not, I genuinely hope you die a slow and painful death
>>
I dunno, I liked and respected Bowie but I always preferred the groove and funkiness of Prince. As an icon his whole image also seemed more sincere and authentic to me in that it was much more consistent and not as dictated by trends.
>>
>>64245917
No they wouldn't. Why are you lying to yourself, anon?
>>
>>64245885
>implying super bowl is popular outside of america
>>
>>64245845
...wow you are really ignorant. Almost all black people know Prince, Michael Jackson, Sly and the family stone, Earth Wind and Fire, but unlike white people we really don't feel the need to just say "look at how great music used to be this new stuff sucks" We embrace new stuff and tend to give more new artist a chance
>>
>Is anyone on /mu/ really having remorse over his death?

i mean why would we, this board is almost all home listening through spotify, youtube, downloads or whatever instead of live shows.

what does it matter if any artist is alive or dead once they've stopped uploading new material to this audience? it's just a wiki edit
>>
>>64245885
Would you say that is was...

THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST?
>>
>>64245917
god what is this dude talking about. children go play outside.
>>
File: 1460658058260.jpg (42 KB, 650x448) Image search: [Google]
1460658058260.jpg
42 KB, 650x448
>>64245357
You guys need to have a little perspective, Prince was an 80's icon. It would be like Kanye dying in 2040, we'd be crying over College Dropout, MBTDF and Yeezus but no one 18-24 would give a shit.

Hes an icon of his time, not as eternal as Michael Jackson but just as important. My mother has been bawling her eyes out all day and playing through all his records, shit sucks.
>>
>>64245963
Way to stereotype there, nigger
>>
>>64245963
i dont know how much good arguing will do with anons like him
>>
Yeah, his four or five albums from the 80s are pretty damned brilliant and I legitimately think he had about 2 or 3 good ones in him.
Regardless, his artistic integrity was pretty fuckin admirable
>>
idc if people arent into him. they can miss out due to being 18 year old retards that browse youtube in their free time.
>>
>>64245970
The good news is that Prince has so much unreleased stuff recorded that we'll be getting new music for decades.
>>
>>64245980
I am talking about the guy who said he is glad he isn't white

you mind replying to him?

also it seems you need to go outside seeing as you never have met a black person
>>
>>64245990
>Prince was an 80's icon
It's hard to believe this was the case because of his stupid view on the internet. He could have been so more relevant today.
>>
blasting cyndi laupers cover of when u were mine. cus its fucking ill and prince doesnt really exist on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRUd247zj44
>>
just listen to any "black" radio statio

the shit they play is utter garbage black people don't even like good black music much less good white music
>>
>>64246002
New bands that can gain a good following are few and far between theres a new hot rapper every 4 months. It's just the truth. If white people would stop comparing every new band to the Beatles/Beach Boys/Led Zepplin you would see more new bands breaking out, but everyone seems to just want to listen to "the classics". Even older black people (30s-40s) get down to some trap
>>
It was truly a Golden Experience.
>>
>>64246033
>He could have been so more relevant today.
Let sleeping dogs lie anon, I rather have him golden in the 80s than rusted in the 00s
>>
>>64246094
>black people will listen to ANYTHING
Kek

Ever think it's because they have terrible taste, and will gobble up anything that's promoted enough?

And I don't think Noise, or Metal, or Drone, or folk, or just about every other fucking genre outside of hip hop and R&B are very popular among the people whom you claim to be so open-minded.
>>
>>64246017
prince blocking his youtube is the singular reason that i dont listen to him
>>
>>64246203
i don't get this line of thought. it's not just the majority of black people who listen to shit music, it's just most people in general. how else would shit like bon jovi or 3 doors down or dave matthews band or gangnam style man get so much popularity?
>>
>>64246094

nah the thing is white people are now part of the market for the hot new rapper every 4 months and are not giving a shit about new rock bands. things have moved beyond the Beatles and Beach Boys in general
>>
>>64245912
An argument isn't a question.
>>
>>64246272
Fair enough. That's true; however, my second point stands
>>
>>64245545
this guy gets it
>>
>>64246333
an argument takes two to tango ;))
if i'm not arguing, all you got is a right-hand sex date
>>
>>64245357
Oldfag here that remembers how Prince made so much of what you think is normal an acceptable world to live in by pushing boundaries before your time.
>>
I once heard Gold on TV and I thought it was gud
>>
I just don't think he was that good 2bh famala
>>
File: 1461214242298.jpg (73 KB, 1240x710) Image search: [Google]
1461214242298.jpg
73 KB, 1240x710
>>64245900
It's called AIDS, anon.
>>
>>64245357
>Prince was too old to be relevant
>I felt more with Bowie
>>
His hatred of digital media really hurt him. Same reason Fripp is less popular with the youth today than the youth a few decades ago.

I listened to Purple Rain a few times and liked it, but most younger people don't have a strong bond to them unless their parents were huge fans.
>>
Did Prince die of heroin?
>>
>>64245357
last night I was just thinking of how I wanted to check out some more of his stuff. now I have to wait :/
>>
>>64245357
Never been a big fan, but I do respect him and his music.
>>
While we're comparing the two, speaking as someone who wasn't raised on Bowie or Prince, I always thought they were nearly aesthetically identical before I really learned who they are.
>>
>>64245357
I really haven't heard much of prince, being 21. And idk if I would like him.
But I knew about him from his weirdness, Dave chappelle/charlie Murphy jokes, and my mom liking him.
>>
fuck yeah i did but im not ashamed to admit that i didn't get into his music until later on in life, a friend told me to listen to "the black album" and i never looked back,

its still the greatest album ever written and im sure that was the real reason it was never released, i recommend everyone that hasn't heard it track it down and give it a listen, even torrents for it are sort of hard to come by (unless you have a private tracker)

"2 nigs united 4 west compton" is the funkiest shit ive ever listened to in my entire life, nothing comes close, not even p-funk. Even when you think that song couldn't possibly get any funkier he breaks out the fairlight and you end up in a completely different universe, the only thing bad about it is that its only 7 minutes instead of 24 hours like it should have been.
>>
>>64245897

you have to be 18 to post on 4chan
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.