[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone can relate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Playing an instrument made me really picky with my musical choises, I would only listen to really intrincate and complex to play guitar based bands like king crimson or rush and would despise "simpler" music like synth pop or indie rock. It wasn't until I stopped playing so frequently and I could no longer play that well that I began to appreciate a wider spectrum of genres that are not so "complex" in a technical aspect. Anyone can relate or am I just autistic?
>>
>>64244718
synth pop and "indie" rock both suck for the most part, though so does Rush
>>
>>64244736
pls don't hurt my millenial feelings anon
>>
>>64244718
Sounds pretty autistic to me honestly.

“It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.” - Picasso

Simple shit can actually be harder to make, and imo it sounds better a lot of the time. E.g. Nirvana.
>>
>>64244718
you're either autistic or a teenager, you have/had a narrow view of music and just need to listen to more to expand your understanding of various types.

there is beauty in all sorts of music but it sometimes takes time to understand it or to get the kind of response you're looking to get out of a particular type of music. just keep listening, you'll get it the more you do
>>
In my first four or five years of playing guitar I would listen to a lot of technical stuff mainly to inspire me to learn it and improve, but I don't think that meant I lost appreciation for simpler stuff. And in fact, nowadays I don't really listen to nor write anything particularly "guitary", but I'm still glad I'm proficient as I tacitly learned theory etc through playing
>>
>>64244718
I kinda getcha in that when I first started playing I'd mostly learn Vai/Malmsteen/general guitar wankery stuff to try and quickly boost my technical ability, but at the same time once I started playing music I also started to develop a more open musical palette. The "simple" music that used to bore me became more intriguing once I was able to hear what was actually going on in a song. Nowadays a good chord progression stirs me up more than a complex melodic line.
>>
>>64244959
just realised I basically copied your exact comment after posting mine
>>
Studying any aspect of music closely will deepen your appreciation of it, but as this anon >>64244959 said, it doesn't mean you can no longer appreciate simpler stuff.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.