[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 500x500
Thoughts?
>>
Metal cover?
>>
Student Demonstration Time deserves to be played at Trump rallies.
>>
>>64244493
I never got how the cover had to do with the album.

7/10 album tho
>>
sunflower is better
>>
Their best album
>>
Long Promised Road and the title track are probably my favorites off it. Solid album other than Student Demonstration Time (which isn't THAT bad, but it really breaks the flow).
>>
This or Today! is their best album.
>>
>>64244493
an unbalanced album with some really good tracks as well as some really bad ones

>>64244748
correct

>>64244769
wrong
>>
>>64244898
Student Demonstration Time is the only bad track, all the others are excellent
>>
Good album, Surf's Up is one of my favorite Beach Boys songs. Student Demonstration Time kinda sucks IMO, just doesn't sound like a Beach Boys song at all and like they're trying way too hard to cash in on the protest era, but it also fits in because it's the sort of song I would expect Mike to write.

>>64244737
It's from a statue called "End of the Road", and kinda pokes fun at how they didn't really make surf rock anymore. "Surf's Up" as in "surfing time is over".
>>
Their most overrated album
>>
>>64244493
Good
Till I die
Surfs Up
Feel Flows

Decent
Disney Girls
Long Promised Road
Looking at Tomorrow

Not that Good
Take a Load off your feet
dont go near the water
Day in the life
Student Demo
>>
It's pretty good, but I don't get why many people view it as their best or even close to it. It's got some great tracks, especially the last 3, but also some medicore ones, with student Demonstration being arguably the worst song they made in their prime.

I'd probably put Pet Sounds, Smile, Sunflower, Friends, and Wild Honey above it.
>>
>>64244532
Nonsensical.

>>64244782
It's quite likely the worst thing they ever wrote.

>>64245489
Yeah, no. That's Pet Sounds.
>>
>>64246050
>Pet Sounds
>overrated
no
>>
>>64244931
>Don't Go Near the Water
is inherently bad due to the title and lyrics. Lyrics aside it's catchy enough, still not excellent. The only truly great part about it is Brian's outro, but simply having a great outro and nothing else does not a good song make.

>Long Promised Road
good song

>Take a Load Off Your Feet
An okay, fun little song. Basically a poor man's Vegetables (which is a great song).

>Disney Girls
While a good song in of itself, being a Bruce solo composition makes it feel slightly out of place when the rest of the album is such a mixed bag. If the album was more consistent then it probably wouldn't seem as out of place as it does, but when all of the songs feel slightly out of place to begin with, it just adds to the hodgepodge nature of it.

>Student Demonstration Time
Mike takes a shit in the middle of the album.

>Feel Flows
Great song, up there with their best work.

>Lookin' at Tomorrow
Similar problem to the first track, the lyrics and title make it hard to swallow an otherwise decent song.

>A Day in the Life of a Tree
Would have been so much better if one of the Beach Boys had sung lead.

>'Til I Die
Great song, though I can't help but think the production suffers a little. I think it would have been stronger if it was arranged more along the lines of Desper's Mix and given some more polish.

>Surf's Up
It's out of place despite being the title track, and Brian didn't want it on there. I hate when they scattered Smile songs across their albums whenever they were too lazy to write more music. Smile songs don't work right when they out of the context of other Smile songs. All that aside, obviously it's a great song in of itself, it simply shouldn't be on this album.
>>
>>64246103
This is undeniable.

You have people saying Pet Sounds is the greatest pop album of all time.

You have people saying Pet Sounds is the greatest Beach Boys album.

You have people saying Pet Sounds is better than anything the Beatles ever did.

These are commonly held and respected opinions- well, by plebeians, but you get the point.
>>
>>64246196
>You have people saying Pet Sounds is the greatest Beach Boys album.
It is

>You have people saying Pet Sounds is the greatest pop album of all time.
>You have people saying Pet Sounds is better than anything the Beatles ever did.
both arguably true
>>
>>64246276
>It is
SMiLE Sessions, Surf's Up, Wild Honey, Friends
All better.

>both arguably true
SMiLE sessions is the greatest pop album of all time. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, A Hard Days Night, Help!... all better.

That's not to say that some of the tracks on Pet Sounds are truly sublime- God Only Knows, Pet Sounds, Wouldn't It Be Nice come to mind. Good? Undeniable. Great? Arguably. The best? Get real.
>>
>>64246196
>>64246050
>>64246381

>tripshit thinks his opinions are relevant
>>
>>64246407
Relevant enough to warrant some buttfluster, kiddo.
>>
>>64246147
i like this opinion
i actually don't mind the lyrics to don't go near the water though.
>>
>>64246381
>Surf's Up, Wild Honey, Friends
None of these are even near the level of Pet Sounds.

>SMiLE sessions
Maybe if it had been finished and released five decades ago, then maybe an argument could have been made for it
>>
>>64246477
>None of these are even near the level of Pet Sounds.
Correct, they're significantly better.

>Maybe if it had been finished
This tired meme again ? "Finished" does not exist in the sense you think it does. The state in which they exist is the "finished" state.
>and released five decades ago, then maybe an argument could have been made for it
Is this meant to be a serious argument ? The year it is released having anything to do with the quality of the music ? Get a fucking grip.
>>
>>64246445
>the lyrics to don't go near the water
They are kind of charming in a goofy, ironic sort of way, but taken at face value they really are awful. The whole idea of The Beach Boys going political to become relevant is cringey
>>
>>64246381
>sgt peppers better than pet sounds
opinion disregarded
>>
>>64246670
On average:

Brian > Paul
Brian > John
Brian < John + Paul
>>
>>64246381
>just names the most popular and obvious tracks on Pet Sounds
lmao have you even listened to the album be honest
>>
One of those rare albums where side b just completely obliterates side a.
>>
>>64246748
Literally hundreds of times.

The tracks are "popular and obvious" because they are the best tracks, not the other way around.

"Don't Talk Put Your Head On My Shoulder" enthusiasts and other such charlatans can see the door.
>>
I used to think it was metal because of the cover.
>>
>>64246578
>they're significantly better.
Okay, that might be your opinion but it's pretty clear you are an outlier in this regard. Most people agree Pet Sounds or Smile is their best work.

>This tired meme again ? "Finished" does not exist in the sense you think it does. The state in which they exist is the "finished" state.
No, you autist. It's not finished in sense that it was never completed the way it was originally intended to be, and it's now impossible to do so.

>Is this meant to be a serious argument ? The year it is released having anything to do with the quality of the music ? Get a fucking grip.
Yes, it needs to be taken into consideration. If it had been completed but simply not released that would be one thing, but the fact it was never fully completed and then released 5 decades later after half the band members had died, and the guy that wrote it lost his mind in the late 60s adds a big WHAT IF to the front of every occasion you approach it. It's really hard to judge an album objectively when you need to use your imagination to fill in the blanks of what it could have been.
>>
>>64247000
>the way it was originally intended to be
There never was a way it was originally intended to be. Wilson was erratic and changed his mind untold times during the writing and recording process. His schizophrenia was nearly full-blown by this point. He simply was not coherent enough to have the plan you have crafted in your mind.

>when you need to use your imagination to fill in the blanks of what it could have been.
It's the best for what it is, no "filling in the blanks" needed. At all. Better harmonies, better melodies, better timbres, better arrangements, better stylistic diversity and mastery, better musical ideas, better arrangements, the list goes on and on.
>>
not as good as Love You
>>
>>64247228
>There never was a way it was originally intended to be
We can assume if the project was never canceled and been released in 1967, it would have been a more complete album than collection of demos we have now.

>It's the best for what it is, no "filling in the blanks" needed
It would have been better if the vocals were completed, and I reckon there would have been other differences as well. As it is in its current state, it's an unfortunately incomplete sounding and very interesting (and very good) experiment. I would rank it as their second best work (not album) after Pet Sounds. But if it had been completed... who knows, maybe it would have been their best.
>>
>>64247466
Love You is overrated.

Holland and LA Light Album are criminally underrated.
>>
>>64247618
>Holland
It definitely is.
>>
>>64244493
IMO it would have been their best work if Brian Wilson had written everything alone. There's some seriously shit lyrics on this that keep it from being as good as it ought to be
>>
>>64248359
>implying Brian would write better lyrics
Brian was a musical genius but in every other sense he was a literal retard. Mike was a much better lyricist and part of the problem with this era they everyone was writing their own lyrics or having Rieley or some other outside collaborator write them
>>
>>64244837
There's SMiLE too and 20/20
>>
>>64245556
all track are great minus SDT faggot
>>
>>64247678
Surf's Up > Pet Sounds > Holland > all else
>>
>>64246805
Here Today, Caroline No, You Still Believe In Me, That's Not Me, I Just Wasn't Made for These Times and Hang On To Your Ego all stand out above Wouldn't It Be Nice IMO (but it's still a brilliant track)
>>
>>64249043
But Brian wrote the best lyrics on the album
>>
>>64244493
Would be a lot better with Fourth of July and Wouldn't It be Nice to Live Again
>>
>>64247228
Wilson is not a schizophrenic. He has bipolar schizoaffective disorder
>>
>>64249794
hi dr landy
>>
>>64249835
No, Landy was the one who inaccurately diagnosed him with schizophrenia and depression.
>>
>>64244837
holy contrarian. but this and today are fucking incredible

>>64246050
>that's Pet Sounds
hahahahahahaha

>>64246196
all of those things except "greatest pop album of all time" (which is at best questionable) are definitely true
>>
>>64246381
>All better.

holy shit fucking kill yourself you contrarian fuck. at least put effort into baiting. wild honey? friends? honestly?

smile sessions is obviously a masterpiece but a hard days night isn't fucking better than pet sounds jesus christ. i've been rused against my better judgement.

>God Only Knows
>Good? Undeniable.
>Great? Arguably.
>The best? Get real.

holy shit you really did it
>>
>>64246147
>Desper's Mix

wow i had never heard this before, it's great. makes me think a lot more about the effect production has on the final product
>>
Student Demonstration Time is worth the price of admission, alone.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.