[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SMiLE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: bigsmilefront300dpisp3.jpg (458 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
bigsmilefront300dpisp3.jpg
458 KB, 1600x1600
is this the pinnacle of music?
>>
>>64241664
pretty much
>>
Pet Sounds is better

prove me wrong

I actually want to see you try
>>
File: smile_better.png (266 KB, 475x670) Image search: [Google]
smile_better.png
266 KB, 475x670
>>64241752
>>
File: ass.png (109 KB, 481x723) Image search: [Google]
ass.png
109 KB, 481x723
>>64241868
the original Pitchfork review for Pet Sounds is awful
>>
>>64241664
Pretty good but it sounds unfinished. It would be a masterpiece if Brian didn't go and fuck over his life with drugs
>>
>>64242312
You're pretty narrow minded if you think drugs were the reason he never finished it
>>
File: image.jpg (120 KB, 630x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120 KB, 630x640
>>64241724
pretty much nothing, Lonerism is better in every way compared to Smile
>>
Try Brian Wilson's self titled album as well; the arrangements are god-awful, but the melodies are great.
>>
>>64242502
Why didn't he finish it, anon?
>>
>>64242312
it was basically an amphetamine and lsd fueled album
>>
>>64242502
Do you know what narrow-minded means?

Wilson had a mental breakdown that most people - him included - attribute to his drug use. Sure it was a little more complex considering the abuse from his father and his strange affinity for childhood, but drug use was most definitely a major catalyst for the breakdown that prevented smile's completion.
>>
>>64241928
music.failblog.org is my favourite music-related internet forum
>>
>>64242620
>drug use was most definitely a major catalyst for the breakdown that prevented smile's completion.
source?
>>
>>64242620
This.

The guy was rich, young and surrounded by enablers. And to top it off, he had pre existing mental illness. He started hearing voices in his head as far back as 1965.

The only person truly responsible for Smile's downfall is Wilson himself. He made the decision to rework Heroes and Villains a million times and to scrap entire songs on a whim.

It took the guy months to record Good Vibrations and he wanted to make an entire album of songs equal to and better than GV, it was practically doomed from the start.
>>
>>64243117
still waiting on that source about how drugs ruined his life
>>
>>64242902
You could read just about any interview with him or article about him, lol it's a pretty widely acknowledged and written-about part of his life.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/05/brian-wilson-hallucinations_n_7520014.html

http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/569981/Beach-Boys-Brian-Wilson-drugs-Love-Mercy-film-new-album

The biopic about him, Love and Mercy, also goes into it a bit as well. Awesome movie if you like Brian Wilson, btw.
>>
>>64243199
Google
>>
File: 220px-OCA95.jpg (10 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
220px-OCA95.jpg
10 KB, 220x220
>>64242562
Pic related is pretty beautiful as well, though more a Van Dyke Parks album than a Brian Wilson album, I think the two were a brilliant duo
>>
>>64242527
I hope this is bait
>>
>>64241664
Pet Sounds and SMiLE played back to back are the pinnacle of music.
>>
>>64243453
nothing here says his drug trips or pot smoking ruined his life, though
>>
>>64245438
Not what you asked for.
>>
>>64245438
Let's take a little lesson in reading comprehension.

My post:
>>64242620
>Wilson had a mental breakdown that most people - him included - attribute to his drug use. Sure it was a little more complex considering the abuse from his father and his strange affinity for childhood, but drug use was most definitely a major catalyst for the breakdown that prevented smile's completion.

Now first you asked for a source on it being a catalyst for his mental breakdown, then drummed up "it ruined his life" on your own. However, if we read the sources you were given (two of countless, btw):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/05/brian-wilson-hallucinations_n_7520014.html

>“The truth is that I did take LSD,” he continued. “All I know is that after I took it, I had auditory hallucinations.” Wilson, who continues to “still deal with” hallucinatory spells from a fateful LSD trip taken at age 25, admitted that “it’s tough.”

http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/569981/Beach-Boys-Brian-Wilson-drugs-Love-Mercy-film-new-album

>The disturbing mutterings are a relic of his years over-indulging chemical substances. “LSD and marijuana and benzedrine and cocaine and all the, you know, drugs,” he says. ... But after years spent trying to put his painful past behind him, a new biographical movie about Wilson’s self-destructive life has forced him to relive those dark days. “It was very hard to watch, very rough,” he says of the movie Love & Mercy, which will be released here in June. “The later parts, where I took drugs, brought back a lot of scary memories. "That was kind of rough for me. "That was a very scary experience." But it was very factual.”

I don't know about you, but lifelong auditory hallucinations sound pretty awful on their own; coupled with the intense paranoia and psychological issues that plagued the SMiLE sessions, it's pretty easy to see that drugs played a major role in his psychological collapse.
>>
no, its a window into the mind of a musical genius who also suffered from mental illness. the music sounds like what might go through a crazy persons head. riveting and strange
>>
>>64243117
i didnt know he was hearing voices that early. i would have bet money on it, his music is too weird (good, but weird and haunting)
>>
>>64246088
doesn't say drugs were the reason for decline just that they exacerbated his own personal issues

stop drug shaming it's pointless, the whole reason he's famous and a good musician is because of LSD and pot
>>
>>64246192
Not even that guy but just admit you're wrong mate.
You're acting like a nob
>>
>>64246192
>Sure it was a little more complex considering the abuse from his father and his strange affinity for childhood, but drug use was most definitely a major catalyst for the breakdown that prevented smile's completion.

It's a double-edged sword, they certainly helped his music but also brought on life-long auditory hallucinations, "scary memories", and a complex of psychological issues. Are you trying to say he would've gone through all of that even if he didn't engage in heavy drug use?
>>
File: Deus Ex Ursa.png (139 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Deus Ex Ursa.png
139 KB, 500x500
>>64246192
>stop drug shaming
Stop being retarded.
People with mental disorders should not be using hallucinogens. This is common sense.
>>
>>64246416
>>64246192
Probably need to cut down on your drug use mate
>>
>>64241664
Obviously not. Not the pinancle of music, not the pinnacle of rock, not even the pinnacle of pop.
>>
>>64246651
List them.

Or not, idc.
>>
>>64246729
>Music
Stockhausen - Aus den Sieben Tagen
>Rock
Pelt - Ayahuasca
>Pop
Blossom Toes - We are Ever so Clean
>>
>>64246167
Yep, it all started after his first acid trip, at least that's what he says.

And since he wrote California Girls on his first trip, that would place it around 1965.

Granted, the drugs did give him inspiration, but look at the toll it took on him in the end. It's the reason why Smile was never finished. Sure we have the fragments and the 2004 version, but never the final product, and to be honest, I don't think Wilson ever had a final grand vision in his head, if you read up on the history of the sessions, he was constantly changing ideas, scrapping recording sessions left and right and all while being paranoid as hell that mind readers hired by his dad and Phil Spector were after him.
>>
>>64246759
Shit albums fuck off
>>
>>64246876
he didnt abuse acid, he abused coke and junk food
>>
>>64246991
I never said he abused acid, I'm just saying it took a heavy toll on him because of his preexisting mental health issues.

There are people who use acid all the time and are still in sound mental health, and there are some people, like Wilson, who take it once and fuck up their brains for the rest of their lives.

The man himself said acid triggered his auditory hallucinations, and they have never gone away.
>>
File: dense.png (63 KB, 238x232) Image search: [Google]
dense.png
63 KB, 238x232
>>64241868
>memefork scores
>>
>>64246192
I have used these drugs and can absolutely see how someone with pre existing disorders could be pushed into the deep end by them. "Drug shaming" that's total bullshit. Drugs are not your friends and they aren't reliable and they can all have nasty long term effects that wouldn't happen without them even if the individual has a predisposition.
>>
File: 1461257958182.jpg (97 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1461257958182.jpg
97 KB, 640x360
>>64242527
>lonerism
>is a stupid fucking normie album
>>
>>64247041
but he took acid a few times and its not like he was screwed up then

his psychological problems got worse but it wasnt from repeated acid use more like low self esteem
>>
>>64247464
I don't get your angle, he himself literally attributes the exacerbation of his problems to it. If you're so in love and obsessed with acid surely you'd recognise how profoundly it affects your psychology and how unpredictable it is between different users.
>>
>>64247555
Just a paranoid druggie who thinks acknowledging the potential risks of drug use is just drug shaming. I was similar when I was a college freshman and would imbibe regularly, but grew out of it pretty quickly. Drugs are a nice escape and can feel enlightening, and they're "easy" in a sense, but I've personally found that the rewards can be just as easily found elsewhere, and aren't worth the potential risks.
>>
>>64247555
opinions change its pointless to argue for him after he said rubber soul is better than pet sounds. I love the guy but yeah he doesn't know what he's talking about

he smoke more pot and did more Coke than acid so nah he was mistaken
>>
>>64247643
you're so full of shit, lmao "when i was in college I was a degenerate now I'm not!" ducking retard you can't get the acid experience anywhere else than taking it and being under its influence
>>
>>64247710
lol
>>
>>64247710
Dude why does it seem so impossible to you that acid could have significant, lasting effects on someone with the right predisposition. Something profoundly bad might happen during the first trip or the hundredth. I've done it 8 times and I'm not about to say my mind isn't in some way scarred. I imagine if I was already hearing voices and being celebritized like Brian acid would fuck my mind up more than any other drug or experience. Your replies are really evasive -- defending this drug this hard isn't worth it.
>>
>>64248095
Brian wasn't hearing voices until after trying acid, it started after like his first acid trip.
>>
>>64248188
Okay, well he definitely kept going after they started right? It's negligible
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.