[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vinylfag hate thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 16
File: vinylfag.jpg (85 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
vinylfag.jpg
85 KB, 600x398
ITT: We post hate for vinyl and vinylfags.

Shit Vinylfags Say:
>It sounds warmer.
>You appreciate music more if you actually go through the effort if looking for it. Having all of your music available at the click of a button has had a detrimental effect of people's appreciation of music.
>Vinyl actually encourages you to listen to the full album in its proper trackorder instead of being a pleb who only listens to single songs.
>You're using a Crosley? With NO COUNTERWEIGHT?!?!?! Have fun ruining all of your records.
>Vinyl is killing the mp3 industry!
>Life has surface noise!
>Wow you sure are a butthurt poorfag about the fact you can't afford vinyl. Sour grapes much?
>I just like collecting it for the artwork.
>>
>>64229856
I dont see what wrong with collecting music, just dont act like an entitled asshole about it. I collect physical copies of videogames and it feels nice having a copy of something that can literally never go away unless it breaks or gets stolen.
>>
>>64229885
good post

however cds and dvds won't last you nearly as much as vinyl
>>
>>64229953
>grooves in plastic
>lasting longer than 1's and 0's
Nice
>>
>It sounds warmer.
Ok this is shit
>You appreciate music more if you actually go through the effort if looking for it. Having all of your music available at the click of a button has had a detrimental effect of people's appreciation of music.
What's wrong with that anon ?
>Vinyl actually encourages you to listen to the full album in its proper trackorder instead of being a pleb who only listens to single songs.
not a really good argument but true
>You're using a Crosley? With NO COUNTERWEIGHT?!?!?! Have fun ruining all of your records.
well, you know, it's... like... true
>Vinyl is killing the mp3 industry!
?
>Life has surface noise!
???
>Wow you sure are a butthurt poorfag about the fact you can't afford vinyl. Sour grapes much?
You're describing an actual asshole
>I just like collecting it for the artwork.
Nothing wrong with that is it ?
>>
>>64229992

This.

>>64229885

>something that can literally never go away unless it breaks or gets stolen

Oh you mean like the electronic, high definition files that will never disappear unless humanity forgets what electricity is.
>>
>>64229856
>You appreciate music more if you actually go through the effort if looking for it. Having all of your music available at the click of a button has had a detrimental effect of people's appreciation of music
This is sorta true, though. Most of the time, when I sit down and try to listen to an album on my phone, I find myself going on Facebook or browsing the Internet and not paying attention to the music. It's a self-discipline problem that I think affects a lot of people. I know I can avoid the problem altogether if I set my phone in my room and just go play my vinyls in the living room. When you play a vinyl, you're dedicating your entire time and attention to the music.
>>
>>64229856
What's wrong with collecting vinyl? If you don't want any, don't buy it. If you want vinyl but can't afford it, then consider investing in a job in the future. If you're constantly surrounded by vinyl ppl, just ignore it.

Srs OP, why are you acting like such an ass?
>>
>>64230026

>I'm too self-imposed-ADHD to sit down for 45 minutes and listen to something

>>64230027

>What's wrong with collecting 8 tracks? It's not like they're obsolete in every way
>>
>>64229992
>mfw a plebeian listens to digital 1's and 0's engraved in a piece of fucking plastic like a spastic near me
>mfw a plebeian listens to music vie the most inferior format aka vinyl

as a post-ambientalist I only listen to live music and the sound of nature and human life, reality is BY FAR the most reliable format you nerds
>>
>>64229856
> I don't buy vinyl because some people buying vinyl are assholes

OP
>>
>>64230024
Yeah that too, fuck it whatever
>>
>>64230024
or ur computer crashes
>>
>>64230043
If you really want to collect 8 tracks, go ahead. I can snicker at the idea, but I won't have any personal problems with you.

Also, vinyl isn't quite obsolete. See your first point for a good reason why.
>>
>>64230022
/thread
>>
>>64230043
he literally called it a self-discipline problem, you're not pointing anything out you stupid faggot
>>
File: 1452798924573.jpg (12 KB, 241x187) Image search: [Google]
1452798924573.jpg
12 KB, 241x187
>>64230076
Vinylfags are always so quick to reference a potential drive failure/corruption, as if that's the worst case scenario with storing digital music.

If your computer crashes and you lose your music, it's your own fucking fault that you can't make backups.

My RAID scheme NAS and the 2 tb hard drive in the fire safe bolted to the floor of my closet aren't going anywhere.

You sound fucking stupid.
>>
Honestly the whole vinyl vs cd thing is stupid it's like arguing its it better to read a book on a kindle or on paper

it should be about the book itself not the format that is on, there really is no need to be elitist about it
>>
>>64230155
this
>>
Vinylfags as just as bad as flacfags
>>
>today someone cussed at me about wanting a rare copy vinyl
>if you're gonna reach out, please be original and ask me something that makes me smile
>that's fantastic that you're passionate about cardboard and listening to music on multi colored plastic
>you're a collector of rare vinyl, a total fanatic, that's completely absolutely hip, motherfucking fantastic
>>
>>64230155
hardcover is the superior format you plen
>>
>>64230155
This reminds of the quote "I don't care how people read, jus that they're reading". I feel the same way for music.
>>
>>64229856
>>64229856
>Having all of your music available at the click of a button has had a detrimental effect of people's appreciation of music.

I agree 100%. That's why I fucking hate streaming.
>>
>>64230112
ok, sorry
>>
>>64230319
I has even gotten worse because nowadays Spotify knows what you like and can feed it to you endlessly without you even needing to pay attention to it.
Talk about expanding boundaries.
>>
>>64230112
>My RAID scheme NAS and the 2 tb hard drive in the fire safe bolted to the floor of my closet aren't going anywhere.

Most interesting thing I've read today.
Cool stories bro, keep em up.
>>
>>64229992
>>64230024

Obviously you two arent very familiar with how CDs break over time? Its a FACT that vinyl will be playable for a longer time than a CD will be.
>>
>>64229953
CDs will last longer than vinyl, it doesnt degrade after every playback.
>>
>>64230355
See >>64230367
>>
>>64230354
>devastated vinylfag realizes the fragility of his hoard of retro plastic
>>
>>64230155
CDs and cassettes are superior to vinyl
>>
I enjoy finding strange old music i've never heard of at record shops for $1-$10 per album. It is fun to look through records and see all of the interesting art that musicians use to label/market their work. I like to ask record shop owners about music i know nothing about and learn something. And get this, I also have digital music. Is your mind blown? I'm gonna download some digital music right now. Maybe I'll listen to a record later. Whoa. Pretty crazy right? I'm a radical.
>>
I love collecting records, but hate the people who do and are elitist about it. I also listen to shit on my phone through music streaming services a lot. I just like buying music from artists and if I'm going to, I like to have it on vinyl.

The only way it'll sound better is if you have an insane $$$ setup and the record in question is recorded through anologue means. Most digitaly recorded music has little to no difference on vinyl either way at least to me. But I also don't have a $1000+ setup.
>>
File: muhdeak.jpg (501 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
muhdeak.jpg
501 KB, 3264x2448
Has no one realized that these threads are actually made to make fun of people who criticize vinyl or is /mu/ becoming tard-central?
>>
>>64230378
Nah, reading about little things of your life made me happy is all :)

(I don't own any vinyl btw)
>>
>>64230112
>he doesnt back up his music
this what gets me the most. Also if you bought a digital album, if it is tied to an account, you can easily get it back
>>
>>64230250

I guess that will happen when you release rare multicolored records and make great music. I don't see why he is mad about that when the rare cardboard multi colored plastic is literally a recording of himself. Cmon. I love mark though so it's cool.
>>
When the world comes near to ending in the next few decades vintage stuff will become very valuable. The world will be set back a hundred years and vintage (including vinyl records) will be all the rage again.
>>
>>64230438
I never said I didn't back up my music, just that a hard drive crashing is a possible avenue of losing music.
>>
>>64230394
I feel you bro.
>>
>>64230373
you dense motherfucker, you missed my point completely
>>
>>64230497
yeah, if my house burns down, there goes my collection and expensive turntable
you cant get that back
>>
File: oHtI6m2.png (410 KB, 414x533) Image search: [Google]
oHtI6m2.png
410 KB, 414x533
>>64230379
Cassettes are absolutely shit tier.

t. someone who bought mostly tapes when I was younger and regrets it
>>
>>64230507
What was your point exactly?
Vinyl lasts longer than cds?
>>
File: 1452802695748.gif (204 KB, 404x416) Image search: [Google]
1452802695748.gif
204 KB, 404x416
>>64230490
>this post
Holy shit I can't breathe.
>>
>>64230522

losing digital files is a lot more common though. however, please release that you're actively debating someone who literally has no stake in this argument and listens to both vinyl and digital music in a non-dogmatic and ideology-free way.
>>
>>64230541
Yea but you gotta admit it ripping CDs onto cassettes using a boombox to play them in the tape deck of your old Volkswagen Westfalia while roadtripping cross-country is comfy and cool as fuck. I did that with all my Dead CDs.
>>
>>64230522

I have insurance so if that happens, I can just buy a lot of again if I want after I get the money, but I don't really think I would.
>>
>>64230585

Someone thats smart dont loose their files, someone dumb do
>>
>>64230522
>if my house burn down
Who's stupid enough to have a house fire these days?
>>
>>64231086

Americans.

>still building houses with wood
>>
>>64230250
What an utterly punchable faggot.
>>
>>64232479
>depressing concrete prison houses of the UK
>>
if you say things sound warm you are literally a fucking faggot
>>
>>64230490
>mfw tubefags were right all along
>>
Never bought a vinyl in my life. Haven't bought a cd in 6 years barring a couple of 60s garage obscurities compilations.

Nothing wrong with collecting vinyl, be it for the sound quality, artwork or just because its fun. As usual, it is ironic holier-than-thou hipsters who have to shout from the rooftops about how cool it is to be a luddite

Just buy your damn vinyls, enjoy them and shut the fuck up about it
>>
File: aahuu.jpg (44 KB, 541x730) Image search: [Google]
aahuu.jpg
44 KB, 541x730
Urfaust love
>>
>>64230155
fucking this
>>
>>64230024
Speakers/Headphones without electricity how?
>>
>>64230394
This fucking guy gets it, even if its worded pretentious kind of
>>
>>64230657
I was with you until here because your whole argument hinges on being smart enough to not fuck up your digital files but you can't even type properly
>>
>>64235613
well you avoided that pitfall, by wording it retarded kind of
>>
>>64235749
thanks, friend
>>
>>64230412
youre over thinking it.
>>
File: 1461164244294.jpg (47 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1461164244294.jpg
47 KB, 625x626
>>64229856
>>
>>64229856
At least half of these could be true.
That being said condescending assholes will always be condescending assholes.
>>
>>64235522
>not leaning your ear to the electrically powered record player and listening to the -60dB sounds produced by the needle
>>
>>64230045
There will be literally no sound when the heat death of the universe occurs. Reality is a shitty, unreliable format. I only enjoy total silence.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-21-12-19-49-1.png (251 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-21-12-19-49-1.png
251 KB, 1080x1080
>>64230338
Lol
/mu/ in a nutshell
>>
I just like collecting it for the artwork and little extras. Nothing else to really meme about. I'm too lazy to flip the record most of the time so I listen to digital versions of records I physically own anyway.
>>
You wouldn't criticize me for collecting stamps or old coins.
>>
File: Vinyl Fags.jpg (142 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
Vinyl Fags.jpg
142 KB, 500x366
>>
>comes with digital copy code (90% of time)
>buys only albums I like
>its not superior or better than CD/Digital but its a nice novelty to have around
>nice large artwork
>not overly expensive
>fun hobby and/or to collect

why is this such a big deal to people?
>>
File: stereo.jpg (67 KB, 736x756) Image search: [Google]
stereo.jpg
67 KB, 736x756
>>64229856
In all fairness there's a huge difference between older stereos and modern ones.

They do produce warmer sounds due to them being pure analog and due to the types of speakers used.

BUT that's not indicative of vinyl. I've noticed that even digital music like CDs produce a warmer sound when you ahve a CD player component plugged in.
>>
I collect them in the hopes that one day someone will come over and be interested in them.
>>
>>64236165
Yeah I would you fucking dork.
>>
File: vomit chan.jpg (113 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
vomit chan.jpg
113 KB, 680x680
I like the idea of collecting music and have repeatedly contemplated getting into vinyl, but god damn the vinylfags I know irl are the generic insufferable cunts that you have in mind.

It makes me have no idea whether or not to even bother.
>>
Apple users are worse
>>
File: OPLifting.gif (2 MB, 407x229) Image search: [Google]
OPLifting.gif
2 MB, 407x229
>>64229856
>>
It's my money, i'll buy what I want, If i wanna buy music in a format I appreciate then why not? I feel connected to my records and i feel like my collection tells a story about me and every album i've had a connection to for whatever reason, and again, it's my money that i work for.
>>
>>64230367
It does break down over time much faster though. An unplayed record will last longer than an unplayed cd. It's all about matinence.
>>
Yeah yeah I know, dead thread.
Just for interest:
Is there more "information" of the music pressed in vinyl or written on plastic my a laser in bits and bytes?
Often asked myself about it.
>>
what is it like to work at a record store?
>>
>>64236077
>I'm to lazy to flip the record most of the time
>>
>>64229856
B-but those arguments are totally true.
>>
>>64230367
I have a CD that has completely rotted, to the point of being clear, and no it's not a burned CD.
>>
File: 1440387902897.png (137 KB, 301x312) Image search: [Google]
1440387902897.png
137 KB, 301x312
>everyone falling for copypasta
>it's even the same pic
>>
>>64230112
>My RAID scheme NAS and the 2 tb hard drive in the fire safe bolted to the floor of my closet aren't going anywhere
>Big Hard drive nerd criticizes vinyl nerd
It's either one format that's going to consume your life or another
>>
>>64229856
tldr
I've made some good money buying and selling vinyl so I support it. I do like the sound and the act of playing vinyl sometimes too... more of a social thing I guess. And as a math guy I can appreciate the difference between analog and digital.
>>
>>64229856
>stop liking what I don't like
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.