[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who was the real genius behind VU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (490 KB, 951x1395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
490 KB, 951x1395
Who was the real genius behind VU
>>
Me
>>
>>64210917
maureen tucker
>>
>>64210936
this anon
>>
>>64210917
John Cale probably since after he left they weren't as interesting. I still think S/T is the best thing they did though.
>>
both
>>
>>64210917
did they fug
>>
Nico :)
>>
Warhol first - just pitching it the way he did was the real twist that made it this influential thing

Cale brought the drones - which made them an influence on later psych and stuff like Suicide and experimental and industrial which they get less credit for

but Reed contributed to their whole thing too - with solely his influence it would have mostly just been a rock n roll / folk rock band formally-speaking - but he also helped give it that trashy urban cynicism that was a big part of its aesthetic
>>
>>64210936
Jonathan over here.
>>
why does there have to be a single genius responsible for everything?
it was a bunch of talented people who made good music together
>>
Sterling>Cale>Moe Tucker>Lou>Nico>Warhol

prove me wrong
>>
Lou Reed was by far the guy who contributed most to their first album in terms of songwriting. He composed nearly every single song on there, with a few exceptions. I can't speak for the other Velvet Underground albums but on VU & Nico Lou wrote most of it.
>>
>>64211211
>including nico
>not realizing without warhol velvet underground wouldn't exist
>rating lou that low
>moe at all
>>
white light white heat and s/t and nico are equally as good. everything after is just mediocre. so one would come to the logical conclusion that cale was indeed the 'real' talent. but without reed tvu would've been shit as well. so i think that it was both of them complementing each other almost perfectly that spawned some of the best rock music oat.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.