[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I start with Genesis?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: Genesis.jpg (283 KB, 900x581) Image search: [Google]
Genesis.jpg
283 KB, 900x581
Where do I start with Genesis?
>>
Selling England by the pound
>>
>start
>Genesis
>>
>>64205810
Then what?

What are their classics/essentials?
>>
>>64205838
Foxtrox-Duke are all worth listening to
>>
>>64205891
oops add Nursery Crime too
>>
you start with the genesis of their music
>>
>>64205797
The Lamb Lies Down is great. I got into it recently, despite being a massive fan of Selling England for a loooong time. That being said, TLLD is a bit more daunting due to its length than SEBTP. The three longest tracks on England (Firth of Fifth, Battle of Epping Forest, and Cinema Show) aren't all that similar to anything on TLLD imo. So if you like the shorter stuff more, then TLLD would be a good next step. Both albums are amazing so you can't go wrong really.
>>
>>64205797
I only listened to the prog albums and I can tell you that Nursery Crime, with The Musical Box is a good start. Then go to Trespass or Selling England by the Pound. The lamb and Foxtrot (especially Supper's Ready) are not that immediate, but they're their best albums in my opinion...so, first enjoy them, then understand them
>>
With the first album like you would with any other artist
>>
>>64206527
Agree
>>64206550
Disagree
>>
>>64206550
Not necessarily, it's quite different from the rest of the albums, very very good, but perhaps more enjoyable after you're already familiar.
>>
>>64205797
Chapter 1, verse 1.
>>
Just start from Trespass like everybody else, they only got better from there til Peter left.
>>
>>64206685
>like everybody else
Don't speak for me please anon
>>
>>64206682
>>64206127
>>64205818
Do you think it's funny?
>>
Selling England > Foxtrot > Nursery Cryme > The Lamb > optionally Trespass
a list of order of listening, a ranking list would be identical except for Lamb replaced with Nursery Cryme

Early Collins era Genesis might be good, I never listened

Watch this live show start to finish, it's a must
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBcz3tBH74
>>
>>64205797
1:1
>>
>>64205797
Nursery Crime. Then the following albums leading to The Lamb Lies Down. Then stop and realize that while there were decent moments on all of those albums, Nursery Crime is the only one worth being in your collection.
>>
File: Genesis.png (6 KB, 248x173) Image search: [Google]
Genesis.png
6 KB, 248x173
>>64205797
>Trespass
>Foxtrot
>Selling England by the Pound
>Nursery Cryme
>The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
>From Genesis to Revelation
>A Trick of the Tail
>Wind & Wuthering

The other albums are shit.
The moment Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett left, the band became shit.
>>
I'd start with Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.
>>
>>64206807
gave me a good chuckle. I think it makes sense to start at the beginning with most artists naturally
>>
>>64208550
Agreed. Their early work was a little too progshit for my tastes, but when Gensis (self-titled) came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. They've been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Collins has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
>>
>>64208635
HEY ANON
>>
Sonic The Hedgehog and Streets of Rage.
>>
>>64208475
I agree, but I consider Wind & Wuttering as nothing special compared to the previous ones, i think it doesn't worth...
>>
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty. Darkness was on the surface of the deep. God’s Spirit was hovering over the surface of the waters.
God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw the light, and saw that it was good. God divided the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” There was evening and there was morning, one day.
God said, “Let there be an expanse in the middle of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.” God made the expanse, and divided the waters which were under the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so. God called the expanse “sky.” There was evening and there was morning, a second day.
God said, “Let the waters under the sky be gathered together to one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so. God called the dry land “earth,” and the gathering together of the waters he called “seas.” God saw that it was good. God said, “Let the earth yield grass, herbs yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit after their kind, with its seed in it, on the earth”; and it was so. The earth yielded grass, herbs yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit, with its seed in it, after their kind; and God saw that it was good. There was evening and there was morning, a third day.
God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of sky to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the expanse of sky to give light on the earth”; and it was so. God made the two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the expanse of sky to give light to the earth, and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. God saw that it was good.
>>
>>
>>64209148
Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?
>>
The Peter albums are the real essentials

Trespass
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England by The Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (their masterpiece)

If you're in love with those 5 albums listen to the first 4 albums with Phil Collins as the lead vocalist
Trick of the Tail
Wind & the Wuthering
Then There Were Three...
Duke

I don't recommend you listen past Duke. I like pop music, I like 80s pop music. But Abacab on onwards is trash gabargé.
>>
I grew up with phil collins genesis, because my dad was a huge fan. Sooner or later i got introduced to selling england, and now i find phil unlistenable.

Selling england by the pound isnt just the best genesis album, its a serious contender for the greatest prog rock album of all time. its a masterclass in extended songwriting and storytelling. I personally am not fond of the track I Know What I Like, but i know some people who do so give it a shot.

Foxtrot is their second best album, in my opinion. Suppers ready is an incredible 22 minute track that cant be missed, and theres plenty of other juicy tracks on there, including Watcher of the Skies, where Phillip reminds us that he actually is a good drummer and isnt JUST there to eventually drive the band into the ground.

Im going to embarrass myself by saying ive never gotten the chance to give lamb lies down on broadway the thorough listening that it deserves, but its still worth your time. I just cant give it the commentary it deserves.

Trespass is fine, give it a listen if those 3 didnt scare you off. Theres some decent stuff on there.

just dont listen to phil. just dont. please
>>
You're on it
>>
>>64210276
damn...
>>
Nursery Cryme
Foxtrot
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
A Trick of the Tail
Duke

That's it. Maybe if you really want more proggy Genesis then listen to Trespass, if you want more pop Genesis try Abacab and their self-titled from 1983. Personally I don't enjoy them after Duke (which is a great album) and their best work is easily the stuff fronted by Peter Gabriel but there ya go. Better than every classic prog band with the exception of maybe King Crimson but even then I think you could make the argument that Genesis are better.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.