[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've listened at all the albums. What's next /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 1455402597946.png (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1455402597946.png
1 MB, 1600x1200
I've listened at all the albums. What's next /mu/?
>>
Bjork
>>
Whatever you want
>>
>>64196993
Which is the best?
>>
>>64196993
does /mu/ do a lot of drugs or something, why are its favorite albums typically drug-related

pet sounds, the glow, MPP, Loveless, Death Grips...
>>
Listen to stuff you like
>>
>>64197124
How is the Glow Pt. 2 drug related?
>>
>>64197124
yes
t. junkie
>>
>>64197100
King Crimson
NMH
and beefheart are the top 3
>>
>>64197124
MPP is not drug related
>>
>>64197164
I 'm not sure what I'd put but good list
>>
>>64196993
nothing. thats the only good music.
>>
File: image.png (344 KB, 1031x995) Image search: [Google]
image.png
344 KB, 1031x995
>>64197140
its psych folk, also the highest rated psych album of the 2000s if you discount yoshimii which is second to soft bulletin

a lot of people consider it psych, and the microphones as a drug inspired outfit
>>
>>64197187
Just because it's psych folk doesn't automatically make it about drugs, and I wouldn't be so quick to even put it in that category. I think the lo-fi folk is a better label and to me it has some tinges of Noise Rock/Pop, Fuzz Folk, and even straight noise in a few instances and a lot more. But none of the lyrical content is drug related
>>
>>64196993
get your own taste
>>
>>64197255
>But none of the lyrical content is drug related

doesnt have to be

clearly the dude behind the microphones has done psychedelic drugs and is trying to emulate the experience(s) with his music
>>
>>64197304
Knowing Phil, that isn't true at all. He's stated his influences/inspirations before and has never mentioned drugs as one of them. His always sites stuff like nature, Buddhism, history, and existentialism. You can read about it on his website.
>>
>>64197304
>>64197380

I don't think many artists would flat out say that psychedelics were a big influence on their music. But having tripped myself, I definitely get the impressions he has-I would be really surprised if he hadn't(especially putting Mount Eerie in the equation).

I wouldn't go as far to say he's trying to emulate the experience though.
>>
>>64197380
its called plausible deniability, lots of great artists have done this like john lennon and captain beefheart

they dont want to give the impression they are degenerates and making music for degenerates but higher society, they want to make money and sell to as many people as possible

even wayne coyne from the flaming lips said that he stays away from psychedelics but admits to smoking pot a lot (there are tons of pictures of him smoking weed, also marigjuana is a mild psychedelic and can bring back recurring feelings after you've taken something like acid or mushrooms)

tl;dr Im sure Phil doesnt do a bunch of drugs and write his music but his experiences for better or worse have shaped his musical expression and theres nothing wrong with psychedelia

people see or hear the word "psychedelic" and of course they think LSD or drugs but itsd actually more about self awakening and conscious expansion

so if you have a delicate sensability you could tll yourself hes making avante garde or mind expaning music, but the reality is he probably did tons of acid or shrooms or whatever, probably smokes pot too, and he made some sick ass music that has accommodated lots of my trips and drug highs, thanks microphones
>>
>>64197463
>>64197565
But the thing is that these are assumptions, and his music really doesn't sound psychedelic, or Avant Garde for that matter. The Glow Pt. 2 especially has a lot of experimentation using the analog recording methods that Phil used, which may conjure ideas of tripping and stuff. Phil may very well have had drugs as an influence, but the music itself isn't meant to appeal to avid drug users.

Either way I don't like simplifying an artists image to "what he saw when he was tripping that one time". And listening to Phil's other stuff, especially his work under the Mount Eerie moniker, it becomes really clear to see that those influences that I listed are real things that he thinks about as he writes music, and not just an excuse to cover up drug use
>>
File: kid-cudi-speedin-bullet-2-heaven.jpg (341 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
kid-cudi-speedin-bullet-2-heaven.jpg
341 KB, 1024x1024
>>64196993
>>
>>64197776
>But the thing is that these are assumptions, and his music really doesn't sound psychedelic, or Avant Garde for that matter.
yeah no, wrong again, bud

>Psych folk generally favors acoustic instrumentation although it often incorporates other instrumentation. Chanting, early music and various non-Western folk music influences are often found in psych folk. Much like its rock counterpart, psychedelic folk is often known for a peculiar, trance-like, and atmospheric sound, often drawing on musical improvisation and Asian influences. Its lyrics are often concerned with such subjects as the natural world, love and beauty and try to evoke a state of mind associated with the effects of psychedelic drugs.[2]

the glow does all of that^^^
>>
>>64197164
if this is OP, listen to NEU!, Nana Grizol, The Unicorns, and The Olivia Tremor Control
>>
>>64197835
>bud
no need to get condescending scrub

Either way, if that's the description you'll use for psych folk, then the title fits Mount Eerie much better, as the Glow has zero chanting and uses western instrumentation almost exclusively, in fact it was almost exclusively guitar and piano. All the experimental sounds came from the way he recorded it. I'll give that it's atmospheric, though I'd still put that on the recording techniques, and features little improvisation, though he did write some of the lyrics as he went.

You can toss whatever wikipedia definition of "psychedelic" you'd like, my only argument is that Phil clearly takes inspiration from a lot more than just drugs and that The Glow Pt. 2 is a masterpiece of modern contemporary/indie folk and so much more than just Psychedelic drug music
>>
File: mucore.jpg (4 MB, 1781x4325) Image search: [Google]
mucore.jpg
4 MB, 1781x4325
This.
>>
>>64198174
I seriously wouldn't even bother with this chart. Just explore and find things to listen to on your own. You have a lot of resources. Discogs, rym are both good. Download stuff from sharethreads. Go to your local used record shop or whatever and pick something that you think looks good. Music is about exploration, not just being told what to listen to.
>>
>>64196993
if you listened to all of this and still need recommendations then you are a lost cause.

you should have been able to figure this out on your own if you werent a pleb
>>
>>64198136
even the greatest folk album of all time pink moon was created off of nick drakes huge pot habit

no ones being condescending its just facts, drugs make the best music
>>
>>64198257
not the worst starting place if you're a total autist or noob
>>
>>64196993
>>64198308
Is pretty spot on. I don't get why you even needed the /mu/core chart in first place, a lot of genres are horribly underrepresented or, better said, just don't appear at all. If you are going to base your taste on everything this board dictates to you, then you have no taste.
>>
>>64198357
Drugs can make good music (i wouldn't say the best) and Pink Moon is an example of that. But The Glow Pt. 2 isn't. Drugs can make shit music too btw.

>>64198358
That's true, but he's already listened to the absolute essentials, so he should be ready
>>
>>64198174
good to see itaots still getting the props it deserves
>>
>>64198174
>p4k-core
>kazumoto endo
why?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.