[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm at a loss guys. I grew out of all my old music, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 1303905188223.jpg (41 KB, 412x516) Image search: [Google]
1303905188223.jpg
41 KB, 412x516
I'm at a loss guys. I grew out of all my old music, and have nothing to start on. I need to know, where do you go for new music?

Now, everytime I ask this, everyone just suggests individual bands/artists. This is not what I'm asking for. If you tell me a band, I might like it, or not. But what I really need is a source. I want to know where someone just starting out is supposed to look, since I was never good at looking for music in the first place.

And one more thing: please don't post that stupid genre chart. All that does is list bands, which as I've explained doesn't help me.
>>
>>64195033
The Beatles
>>
The Beatles
>>
The Beatles
>>
The Slint
>>
>>64195150
*The Slints
>>
The Beatles
>>
The Four Faggots
>>
>>64195033
The Beatles
>>
The Beatles
>>
Ringo
>>
The Fab Four
>>
Slint
>>
Thanks guys, I can always count on you for advice.
>>
Beatles
>>
>>64195033
The Beatles, actually.
>>
>>64195236
honestly, everytime I feel burned out by my playlists, I try to listen to whatever album that anyone ever said it's good, and start from there

also, the beatles
>>
The Beatles
>>
How are you feel about Gorge Harry?
>>
>>64195347
best beetle
>>
File: 1450051974924.png (169 KB, 506x556) Image search: [Google]
1450051974924.png
169 KB, 506x556
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music

no need to thank me. just let your mind be free to explore the rich and near limitless expanse that is art
>>
>>64195033
I'm not really sure what you're asking for. If you "grew out" of ALL the music you used to like, that most likely means you hardly listened to music and you were never into music to begin with. If I'm wrong, reevaluate your old music tastes and understand why you "grew out" of it. That kind of understanding might help you develop your taste. If I'm right, you should probably reconsider you dismissal of recommendations and those genre charts.

Also:

Follow labels
Use bandcamp
Use music databases
Go to music stores and buy shit
Lurk /mu/
Listen to the Beatles
>>
there is no one good source for music.

Just keep your eyes and ears open. Hear a good tune in a store/bar/nightclub/movie/video etc. Find out what that tune is. If you really like it, check out some other shit by that same artist.

Also reading artists biographies or some articles about some new genre you have discovered helps.

Check out what your last.fm or spotify recommends you.

Ask your friends what they listen to.

Also check out some artists that you like, often good music comes from sort of specialized record labels, check out that labels catalogue and you can find lots of interesting shit that way.

Its not that hard really.
>>
If you're interested in electronic music, house or techno for example, it'd be worthwhile listening to sets by different DJs. The BBC does Essential Mixes with a different DJ every Thursday, last week was Nina Kraviz (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01h5gth/segments).

You could even try listening to some sets from festivals such as Tomorrowland. Carl Cox covers a few different styles so he would be a good starting point. Listening to sets allows you to hear lots of different tracks by different people, so it's good for finding new music.

Apologies if this comes across as condescending.
>>
Look into who influenced the artists that you like and research the genres you like.

Also, listen to the Beatles. And Beatles solo/Wings projects.
>>
>>64195624
yea thats good advice :)

Actually there are some good specialized radio programs or podcasts that are great.

Basically someone just curates good music that they dig for your listening pleasure :)

Usually they have tracklists too so its a great source.

Find your local non mainstream radio station
>>
>>64195033
Learn music theory through an instrument, diligently. Seriously. Normie ears are so limited, which is probably why it's hard for you to find shit you enjoy.
>>
If I find a band I like and it's part of a smallish record label I just go through and listen to every band on that label.

Time-consuming but you find some good shit.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.