[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prove Me Wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8
File: MTM3OTQzNDgzMDExODM1NzU2.jpg (49 KB, 940x940) Image search: [Google]
MTM3OTQzNDgzMDExODM1NzU2.jpg
49 KB, 940x940
Besides Person Pitch, this is the best solo AnCo release.
>>
Wrong.

Tomboy, PBVSGR, Down There, and Slasher Flicks are all better releases

Production-wise, Sleep Cycle is nothing new for Animal Collective-related projects. Everything else that I've listed was an original in the sense, and they all came up with something great in the process
>>
Down There and Spirit are better
>>
>>64193223
Spirit isn't a solo release
>>
youre completely right. if you actually think that shit like tomboy or grim reaper is better, you need serious help.
>>
it's like you haven't even listened to down there
>>
>>64193191
>>64193389
Down There was not a good album.
>>
>>64193370
Grim Reaper has handful of pointless songs but at it's core (Mr Noah, Boys Latin, Come to Your Senses, Tropic of Cancer, Selfish Gene) it's a lot better than Sleep Cycle.
>>
>gets a mediocre score on p4k
>people suddenly don't like it
hmmmm

>>64193335
It essentially is an Avey solo release. He wrote the whole thing and beatboxed to show panda how he wanted the drums
>>
>>64193399
yes it was
>>
The atmosphere of Sleep Cycle and Person Pitch, or any Panda Bear solo release for that matter, are completely different they really can't be compared

It's pretty similar to Down There though, which I would view as about equal
>>
>>64193139
Only Tomboy comes close. I see them as equals
>>
>>64193418
I've been here since 2010 and I swear the p4k/fantano hivemind is as strong now as it's ever been
>>
>>64193139
Take away "solo" and you've got it right.
>>
>>64193191
>down there
>slasher flicks
>good

Animal collective fans have the shittiest taste I swear
>>
>>64193139
Nah you're correct family
>>
I think it is even on par with Person Pitch and I personally like it better.
>>
>>64193505
Why do you think Campfire Songs is always so low in their ratings
>>
>>64193418
>hype wears off
>suddenly people don't like it as much
hmmmm

people were complaining from day 2 about it being overrated
>>
>>64193191

desu down there is the only album you listed that's actually better than sleep cycle
>>
>>64193525
This is literally not true, were you there?
>>
>>64193418
just because he beatboxed a rudimentary and "base-level" rhythm doesn't suddenly take away panda's unique style of playing away - he could have done the same for another drummer and the end result could have been completely different.
>>
>>64193511
terrible opinion fampai
>>
>>64193545
This is literally true, were you there?
>>
File: tame-impala-lonerism.jpg (72 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tame-impala-lonerism.jpg
72 KB, 500x500
Lonerism is better than any solo or group AnCo album especially MPP

Prove Me Wrong
>>
>>64193573
I was, yeah. You're making baseless claims. I saw minuscule amounts of criticism until the p4k review came out
>>
>>64193191
You are literally fucking retarded
Wow, Tomboy/Down There/Slasher are all flawed as hell
>>
>>64193610
apples and oranjes bub
>>
>>64193655
doesn't mean they're still not better than sleep cycle
>>
>>64193139
I would only rank PBVSGR better.
>>
>>64193625
I was there too. There wasn't a lot of criticism, but it was still there. I don't think it's fair to say it's P4K droning when the hype (and most of the discussion) for the album had almost completely died by the time the P4K review came out.

It's not like people don't like the album anymore, everyone is still saying it's better than Painting With.
>>
>>64193610
>>64193663
Person Pitch is better than Lonerism and TPTB. Prove me wrong.
>>
It's so good! Seriously a 7 or 8, if only it was longers
>>
>>64193610
Tame Impala projects always fall short of being amazing
Lonerism is their best release however
But it falls short of being 10/10 due to some lazy sounds
I swear do people on post on /mu/ to make arguements
>>
>>64193673
You can analyze their similarities and differences I guess but to talk quality is ill-founded wankery, which I know, where do I think I am

>>64193706
GKMC is better than Citizen Kane and Cheers. Prove me wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 640x295) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 640x295
>>64193672
Boring and over layered tracks vs clear and trancelike
>>
File: 1459136231727.png (245 KB, 455x389) Image search: [Google]
1459136231727.png
245 KB, 455x389
Young Prayer is Panda's best
>>
sleep cycle is pretty good, but it's too early for me to tell where it's ranked in relation to the other solo stuff. i need more time with it.

also, pbvsgr was def a flawed release tbqh but it was still pretty good and on the whole that "era" and release cycle was god-tier imo. so much good material came out of it even if each individual release was was uneven: the mr noah ep, the demos, swallow at the hollow, and the container and andy stott remixes of boys latin and mr noah were fucking incredible. not to mention his live show was ace. i thought the crosswords ep was pretty weak though.
>>
File: 1456121954202.png (94 KB, 267x271) Image search: [Google]
1456121954202.png
94 KB, 267x271
>>64193847
that would be Tomboy, anon
>>
>>64193872
Person Pitch > PBVSGR > Tomboy > Young Prayer
>>
>>64193920
look at this pleb

Young Prayer>Person Pitch>PBVSGR>Tomboy
>>
File: 1374196083907.gif (990 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1374196083907.gif
990 KB, 500x375
>God Tier
Down There
Person Pitch
>Great Tier
Sleep Cycle
Pullhair Rubeye
Tomboy
>Good Tier
Berserker
PBVSGR
Enter the Slasher House
>Okay Tier
Coconuts and Paradise
Panda Bear
>Meh Tier
Terrestrial Tones discography
>>
Young Prayer or Campfire Songs?
>>
File: 1374031652510.jpg (51 KB, 400x516) Image search: [Google]
1374031652510.jpg
51 KB, 400x516
>>64193960
Completely forgot Young Prayer, goes in Good Tier.
>>
>>64193957
>>64193920
Tomboy >= PBVSGR > Person Pitch > Young Prayer

if Tomboy is a 10, then PBVSGR is a 9.99 and Person Pitch is a 9.8
>>
>>64193986
Both are GOAT, plebs will say otherwise

>>64193995
What do you dislike about Young Prayer
>>
>>64193957
>>64193847
Young Prayer starts and ends super strong but it drags around the halfway point. II can't believe it's only 30 minutes sometimes because it just feels so long.
>>
>>64193625
This guy is correct.
>>
>>64194024
I don't dislike it at all; it's just that neither the vocals nor the production can possibly match any of his releases since then (although I do like some of the vocal experimentation on it). It does have a totally different vibe to it; being more somber and ambient in a way, but I'd rather just listen to another artist that better excels in those areas
>>
Are you fucking kidding me. Sleep Cycle is mediocre for several reasons:
1) The production is spotty all over, from Deakin's voice having a phase issue on Golden Chords, to the artifact laden Good House and Seed Song which appear to be sourced from MP3s (even though Seed Song just sounds like shit because it's boring, uneventful and unimaginably contrived in its use of texture and harmony)
2) The album cover sucks. No rule of thirds, no golden ratio, actively avoids Z-flow, seems like a shaky live photo taken with a cellphone camera. Looks better cropped as a tape, but actually hurts my eyes in the CD ratio.
3) Shadow Mine is too short to be considered anything else than filler. It doesn't help with the flow, and in fact makes the album lopsided if you try to consider it as two parts like the pacing of most albums. Even in the context of imagining the whole album (EP?) as one item, it fails to add to the momentum thus far.
4) Bandcamp is called Deakin Jams...

I'll concede that the lyrics on this and the return to a more naturalist, less synth-laden sound is a nice change of pace, but to say that this beat Young Prayer, Person Pitch or even Down There, is mad.
>>
>>64194135
Also releasing it at first online only being able to hear the tracks if you bought it, then 2 days later making all the tracks listenable for free, that pissed me off. I could have saved the 7 bucks I wasted on this milquetoast musical meandering.
>>
>>64194135
I agree about the last part. Anyone who felt "moved" by Sleep Cycle's lyrics is a fucking sap; Josh will never have the lyrical insight that both Noah and Dave possess
>>
>>64194135
>2) The album cover sucks. No rule of thirds, no golden ratio, actively avoids Z-flow, seems like a shaky live photo taken with a cellphone camera. Looks better cropped as a tape, but actually hurts my eyes in the CD ratio.
>4) Bandcamp is called Deakin Jams...
oh come on
>>
>>64194342
Hey man, presentation points count. The image is the first thing you see of the album, and after seeing the cover for the first time, I almost turned 360 degrees and walked away. The last critique was a joke. It just seemed so stereotypically stonerish of him.
>>
>>64193610
Because lonerism is revitalist neo psych. Not saying that's bad, but shit like bros blows anything kevin parker has made out of the water.
>inb4 panda is grade b brian wilson
>>
>>64193960
Pullhair Rubeye fucking sucks
>>
>>64195217
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qBkNFz6WbU
>>
>>64193191
if down there was just laughing hieroglyphic it would be a 10/10. unfortunately there are other songs on that album though
tomboy is eh, pbvsgr is good but not excellent. slasher flicks was pretty decent too.
however sleep cycle, similar to person pitch, really gives off a personal connection as well as a sonic style which is something i haven't seen in an animal collective release since spirit(which is really an avey tare solo album anyway...)
>>
>>64193853
Agreed. That whole era was like a five course dinner and then you got to meet the chef after for anco fans
>>
>>64195490
that's not how he released it though and that anon - as well as many others, including myself - may just judge an album as it's presented. the actual album/product was backwards (and it was avey's intent to be heard that way) and because of that it was weak.
>>
>>64195870
yeah that's pretty stupid
>>
>>64193610
thats throwback psych
anco is something more contemporary
>>
>>64195870
I think the action of having to reverse the songs yourself is part of the album. it feels like uncovering something secret, like decoding.

Which actually reflects how this album came out, if I remember correctly. They made those recordings, and then didn't access them for a few months, and "re-discovered" them. Maybe they were trying to replicate that process/form in an interactive way.
>>
>>64193139
Except Person Pitch isnt even near the best AnCo solo release
>>
>>64193625
lol you were too blinded by the hype. there were plenty of people calling it overrated. Reality is hitting pretty hard now, huh?
>>
>>64193139
down there is the best, then comes pullhair rubeye
and then person pitch then panda beat s/t.
>>64193551
yeah i suppose this is valid. panda bear's drums were great too
>>
>>64197264
eh i don't know - someone asked avey about that when he was posting on the old ca and he said something along the lines of that he didn't mind that fans were reversing it, but the album itself was supposed to be heard backwards - that was their final artistic statement. then there's the issue that even if you reverse it, it's still not the "original recording" as they had changed the pitch to make it sound better reversed, so you then have to adjust that as well.

i like the album reversed and slowed down, but i don't think your "hands on"/ interactive theory was part of their intention. if that adds to your personal experience and enjoyment of it then that's totally valid, however. certainly is an interesting interpretation.
>>
>>64194135
Fucking this. The two "ambient" tracks are nothing but filler to make it seem like a longer piece of work than it actually is. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate what he was going for but it does not constitute the length, or the desire for it to be an "album". It's 4 songs. It's a fucking EP and a mediocre one at best.

I look forward to him actually releasing a FULL album. Golden Chords was an amazing song, everything else juts falls short in comparison.
>>
>>64197436
he said they reversed and pitched it up literally
"because it sounded cool and we liked it"

that's all.
>>
>>64197473
well he did say this which is why the interactive listener theory is dubious to me
>Its also clear that the bulk of our fanbase is able to put the thing on their computers and listen to it the other way so its not as if we didnt know that was gonna happen either. we dont think it should be heard that way cause songs are sped up, dont have vocals etc. but we know that wont stop you so do what you like, and in a way that is cool.
>>
not in love with sleep cycle, but it's decent. but golden chords is like song of the year, really fucking great
>>
>>64197112
>anco is something more contemporary
not really they're using the same shit the beach boys did back in the 70s, maybe not as overboard or as profoundly

their music is weirder but not better, and if paitning with is anything to go by, they're not even that weird anymore

tame impala is a better band, and lonerism is a better album
>>
File: 837.png (197 KB, 2500x1645) Image search: [Google]
837.png
197 KB, 2500x1645
>>64197679
wow. replying anything to this post would be retarded.
>>
>>64194302
this is bait
>>
>>64197879
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKxP9PeGUFM

sounds like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqyyMluHffw

they both use the synthesizer bass, except the beach boys did it way back in 1970... you're a fucking idiot if you think animal collective is a challenging band, they are literally beach boys tier pop
>>
>>64195547
>if down there was just laughing hieroglyphic it would be a 10/10. unfortunately there are other songs on that album though
I like laughing hieroglyphic a lot but I don't understand how so many can think the rest of the album doesn't hold up. It's like saying Alvin Row exceeds the rest of Spirit by far while completely ignoring the three excellent tracks preceding it .
>>
>>64198695
>beach boys tier pop

time to go listen to Danse Manatee again, faggot
>>
>>64197436
Hmm. I see. Well, my only argument is that the artist's own stated intention doesn't matter, ("Death of the Author" and all that); the work itself matters, and the way we interact with it. But that's my own personal belief, I understand not everyone agrees.
>>
>>64199017
nah, i understand you completely and think your interpretation of the album and how you approach it is perfectly valid. i guess in my own way i view the "corrected" songs as fan-made versions or some sort of extra musical content, so i don't really take that into account on a more "critical" appraisal, if you know what i mean. for me it's the same as pitching up and person pitch and playing it backwards and trying to pass that off as the actual album.
>>
>>64198695
holy shit, did you know tame impala used guitar and wah wah pedal??? the VERY SAME instruments beatles and jimi henrix used! what a coincidence! I wonder how many bands even do that...
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.