[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The violin is destroying my sanity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: elonviolin.jpg (42 KB, 500x428) Image search: [Google]
elonviolin.jpg
42 KB, 500x428
For some reason I thought learning how to play violin at 22 years of age would be a good idea, but it wasn't. I can't stand the sound of hearing myself practice and even though they constantly humour me and support me, there's no way my family can bear it either.

How long did it take other players on /mu/ to stop being fucking awful and become bearably awful? At least when I was learning guitar and piano I could practice quietly while I was shite, but that isn't even an option on violin.

Is there a reason for me to continue or should I just give up and stick with what I'm good at?
>>
File: W54ehas.jpg (63 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
W54ehas.jpg
63 KB, 1920x1080
>>64192985
Why did you post the most respected man in the world in the picture for your absolute shit shit shitpost?
>>
File: 1558488.jpg (531 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1558488.jpg
531 KB, 1920x1080
>>64192985
>>64193060
Sorry i am drunk.

Basically, you have to start learning stuff you WOULD like to hear yourself play.
Like, if you like a particular song, just learn it on violin.

I hated playing piano until i found out there are sheets online for some of my favorite songs.
>>
File: All is lost.png (144 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
All is lost.png
144 KB, 400x300
>>64192985
Unless you start learning to play the violin when you're a kid you're fucked. Try another instrument
>>
File: poof.jpg (15 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
poof.jpg
15 KB, 600x337
>>64193060
because I feel like it's gonna end like this

>>64193181
yeah I'm definitely getting that feeling
>>
>>64193235
Well, like, what is the main reason you want to play violin?
>>
>>64193301
To be able to play the music I write without having to rely on session musicians/daws.
Listening to the winter theme from vivaldi's four seasons is what made me actually go out and buy one.
I suppose that'd be the song that I would like to hear myself play, but its probs jumping the gun a bit for now
>>
>>64193437
Take my opinion with a grain of sand, since i am intoxicated as fuck.

but imho if you just put the time in and dont give up on it, i dont see a reason why it would work out with you.
I feel like the pros outweight the cons in this scenario.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cneMyE_OxeU
Listen to this and be happy.
>>
>>64194700
Your family is supportive, dude. They probably think you're shit, but I'm sure they're glad you're bettering yourself. Fuck it, if you wanna learn it, just do it.
>>
>>64192985
>Be me 9 and playing violin for a year
>Play for my grandpa
>"Anon, that was awful"

It takes a long time to make it sound good. After another year it still didn't work for me.
>>
>>64192985
I started at 19, today Im 22 and I still sound kinda screechy, but when I look back its incredible how much Ive imrpoved. Most people stop sounding terrible after 4 or 5 years of dedicated playing, this means you will have to repeat the same boring as fuck etudes from Laoureux/Sevcik/Hrimaly/etc for hours every day, they may be awful to play but really help you to get the technique (you should play some melodies like the ones in Suzuki or some celtic fiddle tunes in tandem to make the learning rpocess more entertaining).
Also, my violin teacher at the conservatoire started playing at 18 and he is in one of the best string quartets of my country, sure you wont be a virtuoso soloist if you dont start playing as a toddler but you can still milk some potential.
>>
>>64195454
Hahaha virtuosity was definitely not on my to do list but thanks for the advice.

To add insult to injury, I'm irreparably left handed after years of playing guitar left handed, so finding a teacher that's okay with dealing with that is proving difficult, but I suppose there's enough of a wealth of lessons on the internet to help me in the interim.

Also, this has somewhat inspired me to stop thinking the worst of the situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaugRxMz7tw

>>64194906
That was probably a damaging experience as a child but your granddad sounds fantastic.
>>
>>64195949
Not really, kids tend to like honesty more than people give them credit for. And he was. :(
>>
Enjoy it if you can but don't let it ruin you.

For example I began to learn piano when I was 18, and I showed a natural talent for it (I progressed really quickly and started doing reasonably difficult pieces) but it made me depressed to the point of suicidal thoughts (srs) that I hadn't been practicing since I was a kid and I'd never be able to devote my life to the instrument and become a Gould, Richter, Baremboim, etc.

Im ok now, but I was depressed for a good 2 years lol!
>>
>>64196696
>literally cucked by a piano
>>
>>64196696
I feel ya, when I first started playing music I did it for the sake of developing talent rather than expression. Pretty much hit the ceiling in terms of technical ability after a year, but the music I was writing didn't mean anything to me, it was mostly just unoriginal scalic/arpeggiated nonsense.
Took a break from playing for a few months then started to want to play again after getting into more harmonic music, at which point I started to actually enjoy what I was doing.

My technical ability has definitely taken a dive in the last couple years since I don't really practice techniques that don't feature in the music I play, but I feel more fulfilled now because of it.

Hope you manage to find a new perspective also!
>>
>>64192985
you sound like a quitter
>>
>>64192985
no one has asked how old you are now?
>>
Don't let it bring you down. Every instrument sounds awful when you're starting, SPECIALLY the violin. To prevent feeling that anxiety of other people judging how you sound right now, just play with the door shut in your bedroom, if you dedicate enough time and effort you'll obviously start playing decent stuff. I'd say you keep it going, Make your family understands you will sound awful at first.
>>
>>64198493
oh boy I most certainly am

>>64198715
good point, I am still 22 - only picked it up a few months ago but still not feeling like I'm making any progress.

I suppose the solution to the situation is to actually practice instead of spending all day memehunting on 4chan
>>
>>64198850
oh. yeah you still have a long way to go then, no one sounds good at any instruments a few months in (unless they already had an innate talent for the instrument without knowing it so they progress faster).
>>
>>64192985
You're only good if you keep on practicing, OP. There really is no reason as to why you should keep at it or not, it's all up to you. Keep your head up, and do what you want. Don't give up so quick.
>>
>>64194750
wow heard this for the first time the other day and then see it posted here. strange how the world works like that.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.