[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys clean your vinyl? Vinyl newfag here, all I know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
How do you guys clean your vinyl? Vinyl newfag here, all I know is that if you use water, you want distilled water. When do you know it's time to clean your vinyl?
>>
DONT GET A SPIN CLEAN. Waste of time and money, might as well just get a carbon fiber brush since they're no better than that.

You need to get a vacuum vinyl cleaner if you're serious. There's a cheap 3D printed one that works great: http://www.squeakycleanvinyl.com/

If you want the best sound quality, clean your records when:

1. You open a brand new one. Many records still have gunk and other shit on them from the pressing plant.

2. The record is noisy. In some cases cleaning won't do anything, but you might as well try.

3. You buy a used (especially old) record. Don't really have to explain this.
>>
>>64184469
well thanks anon. didn't even think about cleaning it when it's new.
>>
>>64184415
One of the absolute best ways to clean a record from dust is wood glue. google it op, done it myself plenty of times and it works incredibly well. Also cheap. downside is that its time consuming.

But unless you buy a really really dirty used record, there is no need to clean them. The medium has some surface noise to it, I understand that it might be weird if you've just started but honestly you shouldn't be buying records in the first place if it really bothers you.
>>
>>64184469
Are you a idiot? Those destroy your vinyls.
>>
>>64184622
it doesn't bother me. I just want to make sure I do/learn everything I can to keep my vinyl in their best condition as possible, because I will be spinning them a lot.
>>
>>64184666
well shit, can't trust anyone. everyone seems to think every method is bad
>>
File: vLzLK.jpg (417 KB, 3076x2042) Image search: [Google]
vLzLK.jpg
417 KB, 3076x2042
>>64184709
Nice, good to hear. Records are for listening, not to be stored on a shelf forever.

Here's a nice pic btw.
>>
>>64184774
of course, grew up with my mom collecting hundreds of cds and cassettes and listening to them all. it's my turn. Thanks for the pic btw
>>
>>64184846
If you decide to use that method, make sure the glue is all dry because otherwise little bits might stay on the surface. Also be careful to not get it on the label. I made both of these mistakes... but it is very effective for dust. Not very effective for actual dirt and grime, distilled water might be best as you said.
>>
>>64184961
so would you just wipe it with the water, or use something like that spinclean?
>>
Do you think I can just use a generic microfibre cloth or do I have to buy something specific for vinyl?
>>
>>64184666
What are you talking about? Vacuum record cleaning machines are the best ways to clean your records. VPI is what audiophiles use.

Unless you're referring to carbon fiber brushes. If you get a decent one they won't shed and hurt your records.

Plus
>Are you a idiot
>a idiot
>>
>>64185041
You're wrongs. Please stop.
>>
>>64185222
Please correct me then, because I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>64185222
Please stop spreading misinformation you tripfag
>>
>>64185250
No
>>
>>64185253
>Stop spreading misinformation
>Spend money on a record destroyer
Why are you this dumb?
>>
>>64185357
Show one example of someone destroying a record with a VPI. Thanks
>>
>>64185370
You're stupid.
>>
>>64184961
>using glue to remove dust

why not just use compressed air?
>>
>>64185419
yea why not?
>>
>>64184666
Satanic trips confirm
>>
You have to be stupid if you believe adhesives applied to vinyl will help you.

>tired of waiting forever for your battery to charge?
>microwave your cell phone for a quick charge.
>>
I just use this for cleaning my records truth be told, I've never had any issues using it http://www.needledoctor.com/Discwasher-D4-Kit?sc=2&category=108
It doesn't provide perfect cleans but realistically a record is never going to be perfectly 100% spotless and given how quickly it cleans I'm satisfied
>>
can't tell who's shilling who anymore
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.