[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Anon, you know a lot about music, can you recommend me some?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9
File: 1460953952257.png (549 KB, 590x587) Image search: [Google]
1460953952257.png
549 KB, 590x587
>Anon, you know a lot about music, can you recommend me some?

What should I recommend to this female friend of mine? I asked her what genres and she said that anything is good.

I know there are always threads like this on /mu/, but no one ever seems to have the right answer. I have over 6000 artists in last.fm library (not meant to be bragging) and it's so hard to decide what to show her?

Obviously, I can't show her my favorite artists first, so I thought maybe some super entry-level artists would be good for a start, stuff such as:

Coil, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Isis, My Bloody Valentine, Unwound, Kate Bush and similar.

Thoughts?
>>
>>
>>64183633
I'm pretty sure everyone knows about Kendrick already, even my 10 year old half black step son likes him.
>>
>>
>>64183624
>Coil, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Isis, My Bloody Valentine, Unwound, Kate Bush
>entry-level
in what world?

maybe if you're a completely detached from reality obese virgin neckbeard who spends his days on /mu/ and rym circlejerking with retarded avant-teens and similar

none of those artists are entry level

recommend her some TVU (but not white light/white heat because a virgin degenerate like you would probably recommend their least accessible album), portishead, early fugazi, speedy ortiz, pixies, tame impala, burial

most of these are trash here i know, but its one step closer to better music

and never recommend coil to anyone unless you want people to think you're gay
>>
>>64183647
Sorry
>>
>>64183647
my condolences
>>
>>64183756
to be fair kate bush is entry level as fuck
>>
this thread is obviously ironic because you're saying Coil and Kate Bush are similar in some way
>>
>>64183901
Not similar, just entry-level.
>>
>>64183756
this
I can't believe there are people who seriously believe GYBE or My Bloody Valentine are entry-level
>>
>>64183624
Sonic Youth
Lush
Slowdive
Explosions in the Sky
Pavement

She'll be on your dick in no time.
>>
>Coil is pop music
>TMR is accessible as fuck
>Swans are pop too

This is why /mu/ is cancer.
>>
>>64183950
MBV defo are, once you're 12 years old, listen to Nevermind, decide to be a museo, Pixies, MBV and their ilk are the next step
>>
>>64183624
>Coil
>GYBE
>Isis
nigger the fuck are you doing
>>
>Meeting a girl recently
>Really pretty
>Nice
>Things are going well
>Finally think I've gotten lucky
>She asks to listen to some of my music
>Let her listen to Dead Flag Blues by GSYBE
>About 2 minutes in she stops and tells me it's too boring
>Check her music
>Drake
>Izzy whateverthefuck
>Taylor Swift
>Etc
>Mfw I know I'll never be happy with her and will have to break up soon
>>
>>64184037
>people actually believe this
nigga, when someone listens to Nirvana when they're 12, their next band is probably Pink Floyd because they're digging through Daddy's record collection.
>>
File: carboniferous.jpg (70 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
carboniferous.jpg
70 KB, 500x500
Zu - Carboniferous, trust me, women love it.
>>
>>64184023
Sound Tracks for the Blind is pop. I also made the mistake of showing my friends TMR. I never those kinda looks
>>
>>64184077
I believe it because it was the path me and my weirdo m8s took in school
>>
>>64183624
ariel pink
>>
Wait, GY!BE and Coil are not entry-level accessible artists?

Why do I get ridiculed by /mu/ when I say I like them then?
>>
>>64184121
Well that's not what happens when most people listen to Nirvana. That shit gets played on classic rock stations--the next band that someone will listen to could just as well be The Eagles.
>>
>>64184136
Keep in mind this was 10 years ago, maybe you see things diffidently as a 12 year old currently
>>
>>64183624
dinosaur Jr right off the bat
pavement also
you gotta progress from pleb hood
think of the bands that inspired the top 40 trash
if she likes rap such as eminem , get her into ra rugged and tech n9ne
etc etc
>>
>>64184170
I'm 27. That kind of rotation happened when I was 12. Maybe that's not how it was where you lived, but it was in new york city.
>>
>>64184127
In their respective genres they are regarded as entry-level because they're what most people get into first. But the fact remains that nobody actually listens to post-rock or industrial because it's inaccessible as fuck.
>>
>>64183624
>>64183624
Start her out with stuff like arcade fire, the xx, Jamie xx, James blake, disclosure, modest mouse, arctic monkeys, death cab, miles davis, early kanye, discolsure, Frank ocean, lcd soundsystem, mgmt (the album with kids), vampire weekend, surferblood, beachboys, ect.

My gf is pretty normie but she likes listening to this type of stuff with me
>>
>>64184273
Early Kanye aged like shit, why not start with 808s or Yeezus?
>>
>>64183624

What chick on this planet is going to listen to coil

Answer me that
>>
>>64183624
show her ok computer
it will blow her mind
>>
>>64184101
How is STFB pop? It's first wave Post-Rock
>>
>>64184376
Thiiiiis. Gauge her reaction and if she likes the songs the best then you're fucked but if she likes the SOUNDS then you can plot your next move. OP you're a sounds guy right?
>>
>>64184338
Because normies like kany's workout tape and gold digger
>>
Not op but related question: if my gf is into Disney OSTs, Taylor Swift, and pleb pop-punk, what should I get her to listen to so she gets better taste how do I ease her into better music?
>>
>>64184560
vampire weekend
>>
File: Lighght.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Lighght.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1200
>>64184560
Kishi Bashi - Lighght

She'll like it
>>
>>64184068
>Izzy whateverthefuck
Holy shit I'm going to start calling Igneous Australia that now.
>>
Point is most girls don't listen to full albums. What catchy songs would you rec?
>>
Are you retarded? Are you seriously about to show fucking Coil to a girl who says that "anything is good"?
You really have to lower what you consider "accessible" to someone on her level: Coil is retarded, Godspeed is too, Isis no, MBV maybe but that's a stretch, Unwound fuck no. Kate Bush is your only decent choice. Dream Pop is always a good choice when introducing people to good music, make sure it's lovely stuff like Cocteau Twins so you keep their attention. Try stuff like The Strokes, Modest Mouse, that kind of stuff. If you like synth pop show her shit like CHVRCHES and Grimes if you like that shit but if not I'd skip it.
>>
File: coil.jpg (333 KB, 1172x953) Image search: [Google]
coil.jpg
333 KB, 1172x953
>>64184371
Those at least.
>>
>>64183647
thanks /pol/
>>
>>64184716
>Coil is retarded
>Unwound fuck no

Could you explain these, please?

I can understand GY!BE and Isis because they might sound too abrasive, but why not Coil or Unwound?
>>
>>64184772
whats the site
>>
>>64184796
If a girl cannot even give you genres she likes she will 100% not like Coil or Unwound
>>
>>64184836
tastebuds
shit site makes u pay for msging tho
>>
>>64183624
>super entry-level artists
>Coil
>Godspeed You Black Emperor!
>Isis
>My Bloody Valentine
>Unwound

in what environment is that true?

the majority of people regardless of race will not have heard any of this music anymore than they would taku sugimoto or daniel lopatin.

lower your standards
>>
>>64184772
HOLY SHIT WHAT SITE IS THIS
>>
File: slowdive-souvlaki-1024x1013.jpg (217 KB, 1024x1013) Image search: [Google]
slowdive-souvlaki-1024x1013.jpg
217 KB, 1024x1013
>>
>>64184901
I think it's just about /mu/ growing up. They discovered GY!BE and similar in their teenage years and now, when they are in their early to late 20s they feel like GY!BE and other artists are entry-level accessible trash.

But that is not true.

Just because you know bout them your whole life, doesn't mean other people do.
>>
>>64184867
Yes, that's true sadly.

If the girl is a bit into meal or Rock you can show her Amorphis, Ghost, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Anathema, Devin Townsend and stuff like that.

>>64184922
>>64184867
>>
>>64184772
i'd fuck dafnias
>>
>>64184772
>the one in the bottom left
>>
>>64185064
fuck i meant bottom right
>>
The Velvet Underground, Sufjan Stevens, and Animal Collective are my go to's. If they don't know at least one of those then they're not worth discussing music with.
>>
>>64183999
trips dont lie
>>
>>64185090
But only the really accessible AnCo
>>
>>64185297
>anco
>accessible
virgin spotted
>>
>>64185354
How'd you know?
>>
>>64185354
I mean if you show them Hollinndagain and Spirit you're a retard but some of Painting With is pretty accessible, definitely on the edge of accessibility but still a good shot.
>>
>>64183685
>trying to give good music recs
>recommend chvrches
top kek
>>
Just pick the most accessible Pitchfork stuff you can think of...Beach House has never failed at getting me laid.
>>
>>64185354

Bruh they play anco at coffee shops (like MPP/strawberry jam anco)
>>
>>64185600
That's because those are the most accessible anco records
>>
>>64185412
Painting With is like stuff you'd play at a children's disco
>>
>>64185617

Exactly, some anco is very accessible
>>
>>64185660
but MPP is a 10/10 masterpiece nonetheless
>>
>>64183624

She didn't really give you much to go off of. Ask her if you can see some songs or albums she listens to on Spotify or her iPhone/phone or whatever and be extremely nonjudgmental/nonthreatening about it. Pick what you recommend based on that.
>>
>>64185678
Well I wouldn't say 10/10 but accessible doesn't necessarily mean bad
>>
>>64185600
>tfw went to a cinema and heard stuff from Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper being played in the lobby
>tfw there was a GY!BE song in the film
>tfw Mark "Panera Bread and Circuses" Kozelek was in the film, literally
>tfw when I went out I heard Rhye and Boards of Canada songs in the lobby

what the fuck, all of my indie favorites are mainstream now, I don't feel special anymore
>>
>>64183624
You failed this test when you asked /mu/ for help
>>
>>64184273
i was just about to tell the guy who recommended burial to rather go with disclosure and jamie xx as it's more accecible and still pretty good. good choice.
>>
>>64185742
This seems so far fetched, where and what movie? Maybe there was a /mu/tant working the loudspeaker
>>
>>64185782
Just some huge cinema here, the film is called Youth.
>>
>>64185742
>Rhye
literally trash top 40 garbage
not indie
>>
>>64185814
Well Mark Kozelek from Red House Painter/Sun Kil Moon was in that, so maybe he had some influence.
>>
you got it right with the image, OP. death grip have very accessible songs
>>
Just depends on the person, what you like, and what they like. If you just want general music, I have success with Sufjan Stevens, some Radiohead, Phantogram, St. Vincent, some of The Beatles (most people have heard of them, but don't realize how great some of their songs are), Chvrches, Tame Impala, Porches, Elliott Smith, and Neon Indian. These are all great artists with an easy and accessible library for most people. The main thing is artists that sound relatively similar to what they already like, not too old/retro, too experimental, etc.

From there, it just depends on the person. Maybe I'll show them Plantasia, or Flying Lotus, or Beach Boys (pretty accessible sound already, but most people don't take them seriously which is what I'm referring to), Snarky Puppy, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Vulfpeck, really this list could probably continue indefinitely. Main point is artists that either are a little more out there, or are older (for whatever reason most people I know only really like current music, as you can see I listed some popular artists here as well).
>>
Why does /mu/ hate Coil now?
>>
>>64184796
There are songs by Unwound someone who only really listens to pop music could like, but I'd say all of their albums have at least one of two tracks that prevent a casual listener from enjoyment, usually because they're instrumental.
Their albums up to Repetition would probably be unlistenable for most.
In Repetition you have Sensible and Go to Dallas and Take a Left, the latter of which might be favorite track, but because it doesn't have lyrics, casual listeners wouldn't care, and Fingernails on a Chalkboard, which is repetitive and harsh.
On Challenge for a Civilized Society you have Sonata for Loudspeakers, an instrumental, the last four minutes of The Side Effects of Being Tired, and lengthy and sparse What Went Wrong.
On Leaves Turn Inside You nearly all the tracks are inaccessible due to the obscured vocals, vocal style, and "weird" production, and occasionally length.
>>
>>64186149
i fell in love with LTIY at first listen, and i was like 17 or 18 back then

maybe i just have a higher tolerance than other people
>>
File: 9RU4NKu.jpg (95 KB, 680x693) Image search: [Google]
9RU4NKu.jpg
95 KB, 680x693
>>64183624
just go for the stuff that you personally like which happens to be very entry level and recent. but really entry level, not godspeed. and no pop singers from over 30 years ago.

just recent entry level music that you like.

tpab, kanye, jamie xx, disclosure are all good examples. just go real fucking easy. see how she reacts. if shes not too close minded or if you manage to expand her mind a bit you can start to sneek in more inaccessible and patrician stuff.
>>
>>64184628
Reccing this, my sister is a pleb and she loved it
>>
>>64186097
No, but it is hella weird to show someone who isnt in to weird shit

eg. "It's in my Blood"
>>
i showed The Glow Pt. 2 to a qt who was interested with me and she didnt want to talk to me afterwards
>>
>>64183999
explosions in the sky is the worst kind of post rock
>>
>>64186486
New EITS got a higher score than the new GYBE :-)
>>
>>64186473
She thought you were gonna hang yourself or runaway into the woods so she cut the cord then and there
>>
>>64186473
You see, you're only supposed to show them the first 3 tracks. Almost everything afterwards is pleb filter.
>>
>>64186737
you are the filler of the humanity
>>
>>64183647
I'm so sorry.
>>
File: 8vdPIU0.png (11 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
8vdPIU0.png
11 KB, 645x773
>>64186473
that's either tfwnogf.jpg or you dodged a bullet. is having a pleb gf even worth it?

>>64186659
as someone who loves the genre i have to agree. explosions in the sky is shit.
>>
>Listening to some Jazz shit in the car I can't remember what
>Anon why the fuck do you have elevator music on
:^)
>>
>>64186659
the old gybe is godtier but the albums after the reunion are good as well, but nothing compare to lift your fists, fa infinity og new riot
>>
>>64186765

It's true though...
>>
>>64186765
What did you mean by this
>>
>>64186473
show them only samurai sword
>>
>>64186881
idk make a thread about it
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.