[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why didnt you tell me animal collective was good /mu/? is this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 2
File: campfire songs.jpg (235 KB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
campfire songs.jpg
235 KB, 1440x1440
why didnt you tell me animal collective was good /mu/? is this their best work?
>>
its one of their best

prob because geo wasnt around to inundate it with shitty sound effects
>>
there's like 15,000 animal collective threads a day you think at some point you'd get the hint that a lot of people like them
>>
>>64171388
Yup. This album is a literal 10/10 without Moo Rah Rah Rain.

Also check out the lyrics for this album, their pretty good
>>
>>64171834
give me more anco recs like this please
>>
i like sung tongs the most, but maybe i'll listen to some campfire songs tomorrow. maybe it hasnt clicked with me kinda like feels, which took me awhile
>>
>>64171864
Deakins new album is the closet to this you're gonna get. Part of the reason I loved Golden Chords so much was it's similarities.
>>
>>64171864
Look up the song Always You, also check out older live recordings of Panda/Avey 2003-5. A lot of cozy acoustic songs that never made it to records

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pu2VKJpHoHo
>>
>>64171960
yeah i enjoyed sleep cycles a lot and this feels a lot more complete so i fell in love instantly

i should probably check out Sung Tongs since i've heard a lot about it
>>
>>64171423
he recorded it
>>
>>64171864
Sorry, you're out of luck. The closest things might be Sung Tongs (less spaced out and droney, more freakish), Sleep Cycle (poppy)

The reversed Pullhair Rubeye might also be kind of like this but I haven't checked it out.

What part of it did you like? You might want to check out some other folk groups.
>>
>>64172069
That's literally all he did though. He just hit the record button
>>
>>64172053
Sung Tongs is another one of my favorites try Winters Love. #1 Anco song
>>
Rec me shit like Campfire Songs, can't find anything in a similar vein
>>
>>64172071
>>64171834
>>64172093
These are me
>>
>>64172071
i enjoy spacey drone folk music, especially if it has that lo-fi ambient sound to it so whatever recs u got senpai i'll take it
>>
>>64172071
Reversed Pullhair Rubeye is like Sung Tongs without as much freak and with the atmospheric qualities of Sleep Cycle.
>>
>>64172114
Check these I posted>>64172052
>>
>>64172121
The Dance of the Moon and the Sun is the definition of Folk-Drone
>>
>>64171388
Hey are you the guy I recced this too in that thread with the op who "found it out"? If so, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

>>64171864
>>64171864
You may like Prospect Hummer. It's fully acoustic except for one sample and the main vocals are done by Vashti Bunyan, a GOAT chamber folk musician

>>64172114
I've been trying to find more stuff like it, but I've failed
>>
>>64172116 here

>>64172121
Check out Natural Snow Buildings. I don't see them posted here very often but I think they have what you're looking for

>>64172141
Thanks, I'll definitely have to give it a listen
>>
>>64172213
>Hey are you the guy I recced this too in that thread with the op who "found it out"? If so, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
i can't remember but i think one of the anons said something about MPP being cringe inducingly bad while praising Campfire Songs so i decided to check it out, was that you?
>>
>>64172270
I was the guy he was replying to
>>
>>64172295
oh okay thanks a lot then you were part of it, best rec in weeks familia
>>
>>64172324
honestly my guy you may hate poppy anco, but checking out everything until you finish sung tongs is a pretty good way to go about it if you dont ever wanna get to poppy anco (although feels and strawberry jam are jams of a lifetime) people can say whatever they want about anco but their early stuff is some god tier stuff
>>
>>64172268
>>64172178
>>
>>64172121
You might like Earth and Space Magics by Ben Reynolds. It's not quite as acoustic as CS and it's a bit more drone but it's still pretty folksy. It's pretty good, hard to describe.

>>64172324
Glad you liked it my man
>>
>>64172367
Oops, I missed that, oh well. I thought it was weird nobody had mentioned them
>>
>>64171864
Listen to Spirit its the best one
>>
>>64171834
>he doesn't take care of business

>>64172673
It's good, but it isn't similar too CS
>>
writing down all the recs in this thread for later use

>>64172673
already did and it was a solid 10/10
>>
>>64171864
I'm surprised no one has said Young Prayer yet. Its probably as close as you're gonna get to CS.
>>
>>64172954
>tfw that's among your favorite anco related albums and you somehow still forgot about it
it really does deserve more recognition
>>
Sung Tongs or Here Comes the Indian next
then go from there
>>
>>64171834
moo rah rah rain is the best song on the album you actual fucking retard

it's literally musical ASMR
>>
>>64172954
The reason for this is because Deakin was on both of them.

Deak + Panda = acoustic gold
>>
>>64173414
Hate to break it to you but you're objectively wrong.

Also ASMR is stupid
>>
>>64171834
>>64173414
not sure about the asmr part, but this guy is right, you can fuck off if moo rah rah rain is "too slow!!!! xP :("
>>
>>64173789
Just relistened to it. It's not awful, but compared to the other songs on the album it's not even close. It's not that it's too slow, it's that it's boring and repetitive. It could have been half as long and it would have been much better

inb4 it's drone. That doesn't give them a free pass on making a song way longer than it's content deserves. Some songs should be 11 minutes, Moo Rah Rah Rain is not one of them.
>>
>>64171864
Feels, dude. Best guitar anco imo
>>
>>64172114
>>64172213
Always reminded me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCOgvAIL3_U
>>
>>64174245
>>64173627
how can you actually think this

and after I TOLD you that it's the best song on the album
>>
>>64172069
>>64172093
You guys are aware though this is a live recording in one take, they did add field recordings and ambient sound effects over the entire recording, correct? How do you think they got such crisps sounds of feet walking over sticks or a jet going over head, etc? Geologist probably played a huge part in the ambience on this record.
>>
>>64175251
>Geologist probably played a huge part in the ambience on this record.

Geologist explicitly only hit the record button. He has said so.

>How do you think they got such crisps sounds of feet walking over sticks or a jet going over head, etc?

By virtue of them happening on the recording.
>>
>>64174245
it's not even hugely repetitive doggy dog, there are like two verses with a chorus after each, then like a breakdown (taking care of business) that they do like three times. i seriously hope you don't like person pitch, because that's at least like three times as repetitive throughout as this song is.
>>
>>64175251
nah, geo only recorded it
>>
>>64175327
>>64175213
As I said, it's not so much the repetitiveness that I dislike, it's the fact that specific part isn't worth repeating. It's not good enough to repeat.

And no, I'm not a huge Person Pitch fan
>>
>>64175281
No you imbecile, they edited the recording afterwards.

> Ambient sound from the surrounding area was also captured and added later.
>>
>>64173627
>objectively wrong

Moo Rah Rah Rain and De Soto De Son are two of the strongest tracks on the album broski.

>We've been beaten we're dying - let us congregate.
>>
>>64175457
>No you imbecile, they edited the recording afterwards.

That's still them happening on the recording, and Geo still only hitting the record button, you donut.
>>
>>64175478
I love De Sot Son. Moo Rah Rah Rain just can't keep up with the other songs on the album.
see my post here>>64174245
>>
>>64175457
>>64175517
I don't even understand what is trying to be argued. Could either of you explain what's going on?
>>
>>64175522
I completely disagree with everything you've said about Moo Rah Rah Rain. It holds up just as well as any other song on the album.
>>
>>64175522
No one is going to be able to convince you when you're so set on your ways.

Moo Rah Rah Rain is my favorite track on the album but a good part of that was sitting on my deck in the morning rain with my friends just staring out over the lake next to my house listening to the album and all of just whispering the words.
>>
>>64175552
Ok, well I guess we disagree
>>
>>64175546
He was implying all of the really intricate and defined ambience on the album was merely recorded while they were playing live. I'm telling him, no, it was not. They were field recordings that were added in later.

There is absolutely no way the mics placed in the screened in porch they were playing in would catch a recording of sticks cracking beneath someones feet, especially when they're all sitting there playing music. There are plenty of other instances of field recording on the album. not all of it was just happening while they were playing. Some of it was added in during mixing.

Don't try to correct me bro this is my favorite album of all time I know it in and out.
>>
>>64175585
You're completely right. It's not like they played in the rain lol. All the effects feel very Geologist too.
>>
>>64175546
He's trying to argue Geologist had a strong influence on the album, when all he did was record ambient sounds between tracks of the album.

Very little to no manipulation of the samples was done, which is primarily Geologist's role. Compare it to the ambient sounds on Here Comes the Indian, which feature extensive manipulation.
>>
>>64175561
Nobody has tried to convince me other than saying that it's not boring (which is subjective) and that is their personal favorite song on the album (another subjective position). I was joking when I said objectively wrong, but I do stand by that it is imo the worst song on the album. I would like to enjoy it, I like every other song on the album.

Anyone who can explain the appeal is welcome to convince me
>>
>>64175561
The moment I realized I loved Campfire Songs was the night I first sat down to REALLY listen to it. It was a cool fall night, and I smoked just a couple hits of some ganj, laid out on a patio chair that reclined, and put on my headphones. I got completely lost in the ambience of the album. So much so that when it ended and I "came to" and took my headphones off, it was like I had been transported somewhere entirely different by the music. Like I was snapping back to reality. I almost remember feeling myself fall into myself. This is the only album to ever give me that feeling. So great....sooooo great.

Wish I wasn't so congested and didn't have pressure in my ears right now because I want to lay in bed to hear it in all its glory...but my ears hurt. :(
>>
>>64175585
>Don't try to correct me bro this is my favorite album of all time I know it in and out.

Evidently you don't, because Geologist did not play an extensive role in the ambience.

You are correct that field recordings were added in later, and that it was recorded on a screen porch. That's about it.

>>64175625
>It's not like they played in the rain lol

They actually did. Like the guy said, they were playing on a screen porch, so its not like they were sitting in the rain.
>>
>>64175626
Geologist may not have played any instruments during the live recording but I'm fairly certain he played a key role in mixing and recording the sounds. Whether he did massive manipulation or not isn't really important. The placing of some of these sounds is so perfect it really adds a whole new element to the ambiance of the album.

I mean I could be wrong about him placing the sounds himself, but Geologist has always been the nuance and subtlety of Animal Collective.
>>
>>64175634
I explained to you its appeal to me. You're right its highly subjective, which makes it pointless to argue about. I can believe you were joking, but it didn't come across as a joke, especially on this site when people genuinely argue that kind of shit with objectivity.

Like I said, no one is going to convince you. Its a personal feeling. All I can really suggest is a similar experience to mine, listen to it one morning while its lightly raining outside with your friends.
>>
>>64175634
The appeal, to me, is the fact that it portrays a family in my mind, during the dust bowl. Crops are dead. The wind is blowing, there's a drought and all hope is lost. The chanting represents a desire for rain to bring life, but it isn't coming. The entire theme of this album in my opinion is death and loss, and it rings extremely true on Moo Rah Rah Rain.

>We've been beaten we're dying - let us congregate.

That line is so powerful to me. It speaks volumes for human compassion and community.
>>
>>64175680
Neither of us have absolute proof of what role he played on the album. If you can show me an interview where he himself says "lol I literally just pressed record", I'll back down. However, I highly doubt that's "all" he did.
>>
>>64175695
>but Geologist has always been the nuance and subtlety of Animal Collective.

All of the members have all played extensive roles in that field, though. STGSTV and Sung Tongs show that pretty plainly.
>>
>>64175752
Geologists role is subtlety and nuance though. He's the back bone of their sound on most records, providing a lot of "filler" (not in a negative way) that adds ambience and overall character to the music they're playing. I won't argue that Avey and Panda or Deakin don't do the same at certain points, but it's mainly Geologists role.
>>
>>64175724
Thank you, I'll try that. I've really only listened to the album in my dorm and my apartment so that might be part of the problem. I'm not really in a position at the moment to be able to do that but hopefully I will soon.

>>64175725
Thank you for explaining it to me. I think one of the problems for me was every other song evoked a story really strongly (hence why Queen in My Pictures, Doggy and Two Corvettes were my favorite songs) and this will help.
>>
>>64175725
>>64175725
oh man, that's like the same image as i get. really speaks to how good it is at evoking a setting
>>
>>64175899
Hey man, it's just what I draw from the lyrics and atmosphere of the song. Not entirely sure if it's "correct" per say but if it helps, that's awesome.

One thing you have to understand about Animal Collective is that their music comes from a place of visualization really. Which is probably why I relate to them so strongly. I am a very visual person. Avey has said before when they discuss song ideas they'll literally talk about an atmosphere and describe imagery they think portrays the music they want to write. Almost like they're creating a visual landscape and contemplating what the soundscape for such a thing would be. Once you understand that, it helps immensely with understanding a lot of their musical decisions.
>>
I just had a really funny image of being camping one weekend and an entire group of 12 people sitting around singing these songs around a campfire.

Did they mean for the lyrics and tone of the music to be so contrary to what a campfire is supposed to make you feel? They talked about wanting to write a really warm, cozy, campfire album that everyone can sing to. Yet these lyrics are so depressing and cynical, it's almost hard to feel comfortable and certainly not easy to sing with a smile on your face. They feel pretty cold and hollow, in the most emotional way possible. I feel like maybe that's part of the beauty of campfire songs.
>>
heres what geo said about his role on cs for all those interested

>campfire songs: was a pre-animal collective idea of dave and noah's. dave and i actually did perform baby canteen at a show in new york in 99 with some spirit songs. but when it was being worked out for recording and josh joined the project, i had gone to europe for a few months and then back to bmore because september 11th cost me a job in new york and i was broke. i was present for the recording though and helped out with the tech side. i read a book by candlelight while they played each take because it went into the night. sounds like a peaceful experience...recorded on a screened in porch. but we never mention (or may be we forget) that it was the middle of november and pretty fucking cold out there.
>>
>>64176025
one time, i was tripping on acid with like 5 other people, and we ended up at some point tossing a frisbee around in the park and trying to act normal while de soto de son was playing out of someone's phone, it felt like something out of david lynch
>>
>>64176055
>i was present for the recording though and helped out with the tech side

>tech side

that probably means mixing bro.
>>
>>64175772
And I'm not really arguing that (its kind of Geologist's only role), I just don't think he had a big role for Campfire Songs, which I think was a lot of Deakin's doing.

>>64176055
Where is this from? I remember reading at one point somewhere about how cold it was recording that album.
>>
>>64176146
??? i never said otherwise? just saw some discussion in the thread about what his role was and thought i'd post a quote since it seemed relevant...

>>64176169
he posted it on the old ca site
http://collectedanimals.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=454
>>
File: Deak after SC.jpg (81 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Deak after SC.jpg
81 KB, 480x640
How much did Deakin contribute? I'm a huge fan after Sleep Cycle and wondering what he's done in the past
>>
>>64177044
I'm pretty sure Deak had a pretty major influence on the album. I might be wrong, though.
>>
>>64177044
I think he contributed a lot. I don't think it's a coincidence that the first album he features on is the first album the group did that shifted from noise pop to a much more ambient acoustic sound. Avey and Panda had been thinking about doing an album like it, but didn't do it until Deakin was there.

It's hard to exactly gauge how much each of the three of them contributed outside of Avey's lyricism; all three played guitar and sung, so its a lot more of an ephemeral album. But comparing Deakin's role in Feels, Young Prayer, and his solo efforts makes it kind of clear that he brings a real strong focus on the texture of the guitarwork to the table.

Though its way up for interpretation, I'd say its 40% Avey, 30% Deak, 30% Panda (it would be equal all around if not for Avey's lyrics).
>>
>>64171834
what you dont like moo rah rah rain? that shits tight.
>>
>>64177044
>>64177099
I heard he had a large part in feels, not sure if that's true though. He's Only in 5 of Anco's albums, so you could start with those
>>
>>64177156
I dont know im pretty sure the reissue of vashti bunyan's first album was more influential to campfire songs, which was actually recorded in 2001, a year later. I'm pretty sure avey was the biggest fan of vashti. I'd say it was avey's idea to do the album, but they all contributed equally to the album.
>>
>>64177175
Deak is on Campfire Songs, Here Comes the Indian, Feels, Strawberry Jam, and Centipede Hz. He's also on ODDSAC and two of their live albums, 9:30 and Crack Box
>>
>>64177202
Just going with what
>>64176055
Geo said about it regarding whose idea it was. I don't doubt Vashti Bunyan was a big influence on it, I'd argue that the Grateful Dead was also probably a big influence on Avey regarding it. But I think all three of them had a strong interest in the ideas floating on that record.
>>
>>64177175
>>64177247
Despite him writing a song for Centipede Hz, that was almost entirely Avey and Geo's baby, though Deak was probably responsible for a stronger shift to guitar.

In terms of Deakin's influence, I'd say Campfire Songs the most, then Feels, then Strawberry Jam and Here Comes the Indian, with CHz as last.

ODDSAC I feel is an equal contribution from every member, which is reinforced by the fact they all get a segment in the movie.
>>
>>64177283
Its kind of interesting going back through anco's discography since Deak's new album and relistening to some albums I have't listened to in a long time. I'm noticing that my favorite albums (besides MPP, but that's for a different reason) have Deak on them. I think in general he really staves off the electronic/digital sound of the band in lieu of a more organic sound.

It's nice to see that people are starting to notice that he's not just some bonus member but has really shaped the sound of the albums where he appears. I really hope we see some more solo stuff from him or more heavy involvement with Anco
>>
>>64177372
I mean I've always felt Deak always played an underrated role in the band, something the band themselves sort of addresses often. Sleep Cycle really helped confirm to people he isn't just their sometimes guitar player.

The biggest wish lists I have for them is another Avey/Panda/Deak album, a Deak/Geo collab again like Seeing Twinkles, and New Psycho Actives Vol. 2 with Panda doing a fifteen minute summer song and Deakin doing a fifteen minute autumn song.
>>
>>64177490
>Seeing Twinkles, and New Psycho Actives
Oh wow, I didn't even know about these releases
>>
>>64177490
I wanna see animal collective release two albums close too each other from 2 duos. LIke avey/deak and panda/geo. Doesnt have to be that exactly but that would be tight.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.