[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
besides some classical and jazz musicians, why do most artists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: fFyPQNc.jpg (26 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
fFyPQNc.jpg
26 KB, 512x512
besides some classical and jazz musicians, why do most artists go to shit and become more uninspired as they get older? are there any counter-examples to this?
>>
I never understood this. Drugs, maybe?
>>
Yeah i've noticed this too. the Pet Shop Boys for instance made great music in the 80's and 90's but now they churn out pop rubbish. I can't really think of artists who haven't gotten worse with age.
>>
>>64171117
obvs example is Scott Walker
I guess you go through lots more emotions and important milestones in your life when you're younger, so inspiration is more readily available, plus the mind is sharper.
>>
>>64171194
Drug abuse in jazz was just as bad as it was in rock.
>>
File: Nick Cave laughing.jpg (163 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Nick Cave laughing.jpg
163 KB, 500x500
>>64171257
>I can't really think of artists who haven't gotten worse with age.
Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Scott Walker.
>>
>>64171421
jazz musicians abused drugs because they were poor and depressed
rock musicians abused drugs because they were rich and bored
>>
File: richard-d-james-5.png (153 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
richard-d-james-5.png
153 KB, 500x281
Richard D. James just got better as he aged

Probably any musician who creates their own style can avoid going to shit. It's only when artists make music in a genre then fall out of touch with age that they run the risk of going to shit. That or doing something that is a complete 180 from the style they're known for. Like, I don't know, Kid Cudi or Savant.
>>
>>64171549
eh, syro was just alright. tuss was also good i guess, but drukqs was 15 years ago so richard was still pretty young then - only about 30. he hasn't put out a lot of material as an older dude so it's hard to tell.
>>
>>64171117
Neil Young
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bi64Y55LEU

It's not his best, but the dude was 67 when this came out. Also, hearing him and Crazy Horse tour this album at the Hollywood Bowl was pretty cool. He and Poncho kept trying to mess each other up by kicking the other's shins.
>>
>>64171487
End result is the same so it doesn't explain why a lot more rockstars burn out creatively when they're young.
>>
>>64171636
I don't think that Syro and Tuss were necessarily big concept packages like Drukqs RDJ ICBYD etc. but were more like the Analord series. Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments seemed like a continuation of Drukqs.

I would highly recommend that you revisit the Tuss btw. It's very strong
>>
>>64171117
my personal hypothesis is that jazz musicians and classical musicians more or less never stopped creating at any point in their careers. live performances were always filled with spontaneous improvisation that kept them sharp and constantly evolving. that and both groups tended to take on and work with revolving line-ups of young apprentices that helped to keep their work fresh and relevant
>>
>>64171117
Is that Bilb?

>>64171973
These are probably the most likely reasons
>>
>>64171487
maybe this is more the point. Jazz musicians stay poor and committed while the really successful don't care about their art any more

>>64171549
garbage
>>
michael gira didn't turn to shit
>>
>>64172191
right, he always was.
>>
>>64171117
young thug has been evolving over the years
>>
>>64171973
That's a really good point about the huge numbers of people jazz musicians work with over their careers and how working with new people can inspire them. In a rock band, the number of people you can collaborate with is more limited but you get people like Robert Fripp who played with people more like a jazz musician hiring sidemen and he put out a lot of great music well into his career inspired by the new sounds that new members could bring into the band.
>>
>>64172232
generally if you see a rock musician with a solid career you'll notice this pattern. frank zappa worked with tons of new people over his career, as did david bowie, even ozzy osbourne managed to last far beyond his expiration date by going through various sidemen that changed his sound up and garnered followings of their own
>>
>>64171117
most artsists have their works written before they get a record deal
or a contract
so after they drop solid work that has been cooking for around 10 years, they now find they have 23 years to create a follow up and ofc, it's shit because of this
>>
>>64172552
this is why D'Angelo has never made bad music in his life: long breaks
>>
>>64172552
2 to 3, not 23 lol
>>
>>64171117
>why do most artists go to shit and become more uninspired as they get older?

It's a number of things, but mainly:

>Have to work hard to get by, face lots of hardship, emotional issues, relationship and social problems, as well as various coming-of-age confusions/complications/lessons
>Take up music, write many heartfelt, inspired, emotional and powerful songs that speak the struggles and hardships of not just your life, but of the lives of the common people
>Writing deep metaphorical commentary on society, ballads that share your philosophy and life observations
>Inspired and powerful music speaks to the common people, fills their hearts and minds, they take to your music, supporting you as an artist, even if much of your lyrics go over their heads
>You become famous, everyone knows your name, face, and music. Everyone knows almost every song on your pinnacle album by heart, everyone owns a copy
>Start going on tour, doing live shows and selling your music all around the world
>Start making money, fame and sales steadily climbing
>Quit day job, have hundreds of women dying just to talk to you, mostly for who you are inside, but many who want a piece of your increasing fame/money
>Hardships start fading away, but to keep the money coming in, you'll need to make more music. Also, due to your record deal contract, you're signed on for at least a couple more albums
>Start making less-inspired music, mostly just about the shallowness of the industry and how everything is becoming commercialized and how you'll never sell out
>Album sells even more than the first one, due to the name recognition and success of the first album
>More tours, more sales, press, interviews, shows, etc.
>Now you're rich, you have more money than you could have ever imagined, you never have to work at a job again, you have everything you could want in life and you have eliminated everything you don't want in life

>>
>>64172719

>You also have VERY little free time to yourself now, between all the shows and press and meetings and business regarding your label. You usually just want to spend it sleeping or relaxing
>Time to write the next album!
>No inspiration from the cushiness of celebrity life
>No time to write from the busy schedule of celebrity life
>Churn out some uninspired pop or dance album just in time for the deadline in your contract
>Instead of music coming from your heart/life (which has now become shallow and hedonistic anyways), you handle music like a product/business, pandering to the dumb masses to ensure sales and make sure you get to keep your personal helicopter
>Sell out in general
>Lose initial audience that once respected you and your original works
>Gain 10x the sales in new audience that doesn't even known about your original works
>Rich forever, no more inspiration until you're an old fart who finally realizes just how much of a soul-sucking colossal behemoth the music/media/art industry was, is, and will continue to be, growing ever more powerful and corrupt
>Hit the writing desk with the most passion you've had in decades
>Try to bring it all back together to release your most inspired album since your beginnings
>No longer have the skill, energy, youth, or even half the remaining band members to meet your old standards
>Everyone has already forgotten about you by the time you release it
>By now, Celebrity Y is already starting to fill your old shoes, and while you can see the horrible cycle starting anew, you have no more influence to change anything
>>
>>64172738
>>64172719
well i guess you covered it

is being a historian of this shit your job or something jesus christ
>>
>>64171117
Is that Bilb Ono?
>>
>>64173499
it seems like many older artists could use some creative consulting
>>
How has nobody brought up Michael Gira yet
The Seer is the best thing he's ever put out, and To Be Kind isn't far behind
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.