[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Times Scaruffi was right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
>White Light White Heat contains Sister Ray, which probably remains the ultimate, definitive masterpiece of rock music, an epic piece that rivals Beethoven's symphonies and John Coltrane's metaphysical improvisations.
>>
>>64169616
It's a jam on two chords.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 500x235) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 500x235
>>64169641
>>
goes from mixolydian to blues minor and also gets atonal when needed
>>
>>64169641
/thread
>>
>The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>64169641
If it was so simple then why didn't you come up with it, you dumb idiot gay retarded manlet twat??
>>
>>64169853
Because I wasn't a junkie in the 60s?
>>
The conversation that started VU
>Hey lets make a band
>But we don't know how to play instruments or record or write music.
>who cares
>OK LETS DO IT!
>>
>>64169876
Oh, okay.

Sorry for yelling at you.
>>
>just 2 chrods

Nigga you try to make Sister Ray if it is so easy
>>
>sucking on my ding-dong
>>
>>64169844
>He doesnt care for the Beatles
>Praises the Rolling Stones

I have never known a critic of any artistic medium to be so retarded.
>>
File: 1400032143464.jpg (52 KB, 419x249) Image search: [Google]
1400032143464.jpg
52 KB, 419x249
>>64170074
ebin :-D
>>
>>64169616
masturbation:the text
>>
>>64170128
The Stones are the perfect blend of blues and rock, of american music and british music. It's like what Led Zeppelin tried to do, but the Stones actually got it right, Exile on Main Street is the best rock record ever released
>>
File: 1458251536314.png (234 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1458251536314.png
234 KB, 500x400
>>64170264
>>
his review for "You're Dead"
>>
>>64169616
>Why can't I marry a 13 year old?
>>
>>64170264
The music of the Stones didn't sound artificial like the Beatles either. Like the Who, the Stones were simply a great rock and roll band.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 331x390) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 331x390
>>64170264
>post Brian Jones Stones
>""""""good"""""
>>
Any sensible human being with two ears knows layla is the greatest rock song ever.
>>
>>64169888
and they made even less conventional music in their spare time!

this was made by John Cale and Sterling Morrison in 1967
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LLSfk6Jec
>>
>>64169616
>and John Coltrane's metaphysical improvisations.
Scruffy's too dense to appreciate Coltrane
>>
>>64170286
It's true though, their Beggars-Exile run (they have other great records of course) is only matched by The Beatles' Rubber Soul-White Album run, and even then, I feel like the Stones's albums have stood the test of time better. Their music is just pure rock n' roll, it just makes you feel good, while still remaining interesting and fresh, there is really no other band like them, it's fun yet original and creative, best of both worlds. Jaggers/Richards were truly a fantastic songwriting duo. Like I already said, they blended Britain's rock and America's blues and created something new. Led Zeppelin is another band that gets credited with doing the same, but they really didn't, some songs sounded like blues, and others sounded like rock, they didn't blend it as perfectly as the Stones did, and they had to use plagiarism, while the Stones have never been accused of it (yet they still managed to make better music). Their album Some Girls is a perfect bend of punk and disco, the two most prominent genres at the time, two genres that were completely isolated from each other, yet the Stones put them together in one cool ass record. And i really do believe that Exile on Main Street is the best rock record ever made, it's a fucking double album and every track is at the very least solid, there is no album that matches it's consistency (much less a double album) .
>>
>>64170734
as good as Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed are, Exile and Sticky Fingers are the band's greatest work
>>
>>64170983
*Aftermath and Between the Buttons
>>
>>64171003
also great, but do you really feel like they're on same level as Beggars-Exile?

This is how i'd rank them:
1. Exile
2. Sticky Fingers
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Let it Bleed
5. Some Girls
6. Aftermath
7. Between the Buttons
>>
>>64170940
Zen Arcade and Double Nickles on the Dime are two double albums I would argue are, in the context of their respective genres, equally incredible.
>>
>>64171235
Im not the biggest fan of Zen Arcade t b h, i've tried many times, but i've never really gotten into it, the first time I couldn't even make it the whole way through. And I still have to listen to Double Nickles on the Dime, haven't gotten around to it
>>
>>64169616
I love this album, but no it doesn't
>>
So what is the Scaruffi of other boards?
I can't think of any.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.