[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i liked him better when I thought he was in his early 20s. Being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: .jpg (203 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
203 KB, 1280x720
i liked him better when I thought he was in his early 20s. Being 35 and making this is kind of pathetic.
>>
why does age matter anon
you must be young yourself
>>
>>64167652

That's pretty shallow of you.
>>
>>64167652
literally why
>>
Do you happen to be really fucking autistic, by any chance?
>>
why did you make this thread

are you underage
>>
Miles Davis was 33 when he made Kind of Blue and was like 45 when he made Bitches Brew.
Kamasai sucks but not because he is old
>>
>>64167679
>I'M MAD!!!!!!
>>
>>64167677
You'd think his playing and style would have developed a lot more by that age. See >>64167780
you look at the kind of careers that people like
had and the breath of stuff he had done by 33 when he'd put out KOB and the development in his craft from his early days with Charlie Parker. He's an exceptional example but most great jazz players started when they were young and improved over their careers. It's kind of odd that Kamasi is already pretty old and he sounds like an amature.
>>
>>64167652

like you've made anything better
>>
>>64167962
I cringed while reading this. No shit his music isn't as good as Davis. Do you have any idea how moronic it is to expect a 21st jazz musician to match him?
>>
>>64168184
There are some fantastic 21st century jazz composers who are doing stuff as interesting as the older guys.
Kamasi just isn't one of them.
>>
>>64168184
>there's no way people in the future can do things that surpass the achievements of those in the past
yeah, found the casual who has no idea what the fuck he's talking about
>>
>being 35 makes you over the hill these days

Guess I have 3 years left to kill myself for being too old to relate to /mu/ anymore.
>>
Everyone keeps saying he's bad and I am yet to find a well-thought response with actual criticism in it.
>>
>>64167652
>20: Posting on a meme board
How you chose to live the one life you have.
>35: Create an album with life long friends that, at worst, has sparked a new wave of appreciation for jazz
Pathetic
>>
Kamasi Washington isn't popular because he is technically talented, but because he brings a sense of community and tribal, unifying feel back to jazz

he's as much George Clinton as he is John Coltrane - people feel connected to his music and part of the crowd instead of feeling disconnected and that the music is elitist like people generally feel about jazz

that is the secret of Kamasi Washington's success and the jazz community won't get it and it is a little bit sad
>>
>>64168716
fucking this.
>>
>>64168707
>35: Create an album with life long friends that, at worst, has sparked a new wave of appreciation for jazz
no, it's sparked appreciation for itself at the expense of jazz' image.
>>
The album seems so long, but I really want to like it. What individual songs do some of you think are the best?
>>
>>64168755

>at the expense of jazz' image.

so you don't think younger, more "indie" people getting into jazz is a good thing? IMO jazz is much better music than most of what P4K and Fantano funnel down this board's throat daily, so the fact that The Epic is getting jazz some attention, even if the album itself isn't up to snuff, is a good thing to me. because people will hear The Epic, and if they like it, they will look into more jazz and probably hear Karma and A Love Supreme and then they might develop a "real" interest in the genre so to speak, at least the people who don't like music just for image much.

and it's funny how people always say The Epic is bad for jazz's "image" like that's so important, like it's going to change anything about people who are already jazz fans, and yet these people saying that can't even explain why The Epic is bad in a MUSICAL sense other than "HURR THE PLAYING IS SHIT, IT'S TOO LONG!!" those are not real criticisms, why not try explaining WHY you think the playing is bad for once? what is he doing that he shouldn't be with his instruments and vice versa? because it sounded pretty good to me
>>
>>64168639
>being on /mu/ when your over 30
Don't end your life anon, rebuild it.
>>
>>64167962
jesus christ, you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>64168694
i'm sure you know this already but that's because the actual reason they pretend to hate him is because he's popular.
>>
This thread is depressing that people act like being a musician in your 30's is the worst thing possible
>>
>>64168871
Agree, although I believe the length is a serious issue that should be addressed, but that is in no-way a form of good criticism.
>>
>>64168927
Yeah I know, I agree, the album is too long, it's not on the same level of Miles, Coltrane, Mingus etc... But does that make it bad? Absolutely not, it's not perfect, not a masterpiece, but not bad at all.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.