[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of him? What does /mu/ think of Guns N'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 12
File: tumblr_m36agmssQb1rtqrxio2_250.gif (379 KB, 245x188) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m36agmssQb1rtqrxio2_250.gif
379 KB, 245x188
What does /mu/ think of him? What does /mu/ think of Guns N' Roses?
>>
Pretty normie music but if you don't blast Paradise City with your bros on the way to the local drinking establishment then I'm not sure what you blast.
>>
Despite their small output they're arguably one of the greatest rock bands of all time, and easily one of the most fascinating.
>>
>>64166497
you and your bros are pretty gay
>>
Textbook hard rock. They defined that late 80's sound.

People write them off sometimes as a generic band, but they have some excellent songs. Appetite for Destruction is an excellent album.
>>
>>64166497
You're either older than 40 or are bad at pretending to be a normal person.
>>
>>64167036
Imo their best album.
Personally I think yeah they're pretty normie, but they're also largely influential too, in my view, they were the first band to be dangerous without being completely edgy, they found a decent balance.
>>
Chinese Democracy is, by any standards, a 6 out of 10 rock album. I listened to it earlier and had a very enjoyable experience.
>>
As great as Appetite for Destruction is, the Use Your Illusion albums are criminally overlooked, and so is Lies. Ignore anyone who says "one album band" about Guns N' Roses.
>>
appetite for destruction is an absolute rock masterpiece and no amount of obnoxious poptimists will ever change my opinion on this shit

classic through and through
>>
>tfw /mu/ likes GNR

I'm okay with this. Appetite is the first CD I was given as a kid and I loved that shit. They're okay in my book.
>>
AFD is probably the GOAT straight up rock album.

UYI I & II are criminally underrated. Songs like Coma, Estranged, Civil War etc. are fantastic.
>>
>>64167244

/mu/ has always had a decent amount of GNR fans
>>
I kinda hope there's a reunion album, just to add to their discography. I feel it is merited at this point, they had the big break and like >>64167150 pointed out Chinese Democracy was bretty gud considering it was just Axl of the original line-up. Personally I hope they record one more, it would be more fun than literally any other band of their era doing that now
>>
Hey guys I have a question
What about that song where Axl said niggers or some shit, you know the one. What do you say when non-fans cite that as a "fuck this band" moment? I want to know how to defeat them.
>>
File: wha.jpg (17 KB, 288x230) Image search: [Google]
wha.jpg
17 KB, 288x230
I'm pretty confused here. I love GNR, but I'm under the impression that /mu/ basically hates hard rock and writes it off as dadrock or butt rock everytime it's mentioned.

That being said I'm glad you guys can appreciate some genuinely good and hard hitting rock music.
>>
Gun's n Roses is pure and utter shit
>>
>>64167400
I'll let you know when I care about the musical opinions of a 17 year old attention whoring on 4chan.
>>
>>64167150

The problems with CD is that first of all, it wasn't a GN'R record. I think it would have been better received if it was called 'The Axl Rose Project' or something. Second, overproduction. Most of the songs would have been better if they were a bit more raw. It was a solid album though, the only bad songs i'd say were Scraped, Riad & The Bedouins and Shacklers Revenge. The rest range from good to great.
>>
I don't mind their albums but I can't stand Slash
>>
>>64167452

I think If the World and Sorry are worse than Riad and Scraped. Shackler's Revenge is a weird one because I'm kinda happy it exists despite the corny nu-metal guitar. I feel it should have been placed later in the album and the album itself should have been 12 tracks instead of 14. It's overproduced, sure, but in its excess I think it's a lot of fun.
>>
>>64167259

Gotta love the unsung hardcore-punk vibey songs like Right Next Door To Hell, Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden, Shotgun Blues, and Get In The Ring that were mixed into Use Your Illusions. Always thought it would have been cool if they followed those records up with an EP of heavier shit like that.

The Spaghetti Incident was great though, that album got me into Johnny Thunders, Fear, Rocket From The Tombs, and The Misfits. I still listen to it every now and then.
>>
>>64167395

The simple distinction is that GNR *isn't* "dadrock" to the discerning listener. It's just cool hard rock music. GNR are in no way the same type of band as The Who or Zeppelin
>>
>>64167391
you can't "defeat" them, there is no solid defense for blatant racism in this context. it's axl's fault and the band fucked up, end of story really.

that's got nothing to do with your enjoyment of them though, or your morals, so if people try to bring up that with you, you can very well tell them to go fuck themselves.
>>
>>64167529
I genuinely don't see the distinction, describe it musically. The only difference I see is that Zeppelin and The Who weren't as heavy. As a dude who knows a lot about, guitar, singing and rock music I can't see how you could like GNR a lot and insult Zeppelin.
>>
>>64167391
they have every right in the world to dislike them for that reason who gives a shit

On the other hand I feel sorry for people who can't enjoy music because of politics
>>
>>64167571
led zeppelin aren't as massive as GNR and fall back upon blues rock riffage far more often, which can sound more dated.
>>
>>64167497

If The World has a nice groove to it, and has a really cool guitar solo. Sorry is one of the best tracks on the album imo.
>>
>>64167529
More like mid 70s Aerosmith
>>
Lies is a really underrated album
>>
Axl is a great singer, the guy also had some balls. But fuck, he was a huge asshole too. I remember he did some crazy shit to his wife

https://youtu.be/tJiJxVnmC-8
>>
>>64167571

I wasn't insulting Zeppelin although there is insurmountable evidence that Jimmy Page was, if not by definition a pedophile at least engaged in relations with younger teen girls. I just meant Zeppelin are dadrock because your dad is more likely to listen to LZ than GNR
>>
>>64167594

I guess. How come Bob Dylan said it in Hurricane but other white rock musicians can't though?
>>
Best songs:

>AFD
It's So Easy
Mr. Brownstone
Rocket Queen
>Lies
Nice Boys
I Used to Love Her
>UYI I
Double Talkin' Jive
The Garden
Don't Damn Me
Coma
>UYI II
Civil War
Locomotive
You Could Be Mine
>Spaghetti Incident
Black Leather
>Chi Dem
Better
There Was A Time
Catcher in the Rye (Brian May version... which isn't on the album)
>>
>>64166236

GnR were pretty fucking massive in the late 80's early 90's, like really fucking massive

The first band I ever really got into and then Slash turned me onto Hendrix because he played the intro to Voodoo Chile and my dad said it's not as good as the original and he was right.

So thanks GnR and Slash for exposing me to Hendrix nearly 30 years ago

tl;dr blog post
>>
>>64166236

If you're ears don't perk up a little from the intro guitar on Welcome to the Jungle, then you're the worst kind of normie there is.

I always remembered them as that band that came out in the midst of all the hair metal, and chose to go for rawness instead of glitz and glamour, so they ended up being pretty refreshing.

I'm not describing this properly, I know.
>>
November Rain is the worst song of all time
>>
>>64167391

Slash is half black so it's totally cool.

Also his excuse was that to him 'niggers' means any scumbag basically, not necessarily all black people.
>>
>>64167755

Out of curiosity how old does this make you?
>>
>>64167391
one in a million
>>
>>64167786
>>
Could have been a fucking amazing band if it wasn't for Axel being a massive fag and generally having a terrible voice.
>>
"I really enjoyed Appetite For Destruction back then. It had an honesty to it that was missing from the rock scene at the time. Welcome To The Jungle was kind of Satisfaction re-imagined for the 80s."

-- Gene Simmons
>>
>>64167753
Rocket Queen is the cringiest song on AFD.
>>
>>64167594
>>64167561

You're right that politics shouldn't be brought into music... but didn't Axl basically invite that with One in a Million? I feel sorry for the rest of the band who didn't want to include it. Probably the worst display of Axl's judgement as a songwriter.
>>
>>64167816
He's in his 30s to 40 I guess.
>>
>>64167497
Buckethead's solo in ITW makes up for the rest of the song
>>
used to love them when i was 14-17
later i realized axl was a fucking cunt and gnr are basically a normie band
>>
>>64167853

Fuck, I hate Gene Simmons but this is a good opninio what a douche he is irl though nd Kiss suck
>>
>>64167816
40 in August

Was a pretty big fan back in the day, never got to see them live but bought the CD's, books, T-shirts, videos, pewter badges and obligatory Tattoo etc etc

Wish i'd have kept all that stuff now, still got the CD's though
>>
>>64167919
what about the tattoo?
>>
>>64167846

Axl's voice/stage presence is what made them, and the reason why he was still able to headline festivals and do stadium/arena tours in the 2000s with his band of hired goons.
>>
File: Oh-You.png (42 KB, 227x189) Image search: [Google]
Oh-You.png
42 KB, 227x189
>>64167964
>what about the tattoo?

Heh, yeah still got that too
>>
appetite for destruction and a couple songs from gnr lies are the only decent stuff they did

use your illusion 1 and 2 are fucking awful
>>
>>64167391

It's a song written by a young white kid who ran away from sexual abuse at the hand of his step father, was sexually abused by a trucker while hitchhiking, got his ass kicked by a few black guys at a bus station, got arrested regularly, and for some reason had beef with some Iranian guy who ran a convince store he frequented. It's immature, ignorant, emotional bullshit, but it's sincere. BFD
>>
>>64167919

I used to see people talk about, back when it was oldfags and newfags, "oh I'd never be on an anime imageboard aged __" but I first came on here age 15 or so and I'm 23 soon, this place really is a black hole
>>
>>64168033

>implying this isn't the best Smashing Pumpkins song written since 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehMPmKHO6Vg&ebc=ANyPxKok8GR_AYO1stGL1NvCpHZrKQUvUxTIF1IAoayqdeGyuwifZgJVpjLMBAxOv1Gt9hpstj8LaE-o-LhLZgmVjLh1AZt4kg
>>
>>64167906
Gene is a hard rock guy at heart while Paul Stanley is more of the glammy, pop side of Kiss. His whole Demon persona was pretty much that he's this lowlife scuzzball that violates your innocent young daughter with his giant tongue.
>>
>>64167861

nah
>>
I don't get the Led Zeppelin comparison. I think epplin are post Hendrix rock folk.

GnR... I ate the Kurdt cake so bought the whole moderate rock / riot grrrl thing till Wolverine Blues

but... I dunno, what is the GnR lineage?

I've been thinking , I've really got to do the Kiss, Motley Crue, W.A.S.P. , Skid Row journey

I'm guessing that's where it comes from.

I can appreciate GnR but I'll never have the emotional involvement, other than bad memories
>>
>>64168127

Mostly I'm mad at him for the rock and roll hall of lame comments, only a true H-A-C-K would care about the sanctity of the rock and roll hall of balls, I'm sure he wasn't the worst member of Kiss
>>
>>64168127
Gene is a jew tho
>>
>>64168179

Led Zepplo suck
>>
>>64168220
me off whenever they like
>>
>>64168068

Yeah I've been on and off here for years, there really is no escape I've accepted it
>>
>>64168179
people compare GnR to led zeppelin?

i mean, maybe axls vocals, but that's about it. they're more like the stooges mixed with van halen
>>
>>64168068
>this place really is a black hole

Yep been here 8 years or so myself round about the time when all the Boxxy stuff was going on and "newfags can't 7/over 9000" word-filter was a thing will probably be here until they pull the plug unless I drop dead first

Still kinda weird seeing moot go before I did though, it's a funny old world
>>
>>64167632
underrated post
>>
>>64168179

Aerosmith, Johnny Thunders, Rolling Stones, Van Halen, and Hanoi Rocks would be more akin to GNR than any of those bands. Skid Row came after GNR
>>
>>64168253
But the stooges were good
>>
>>64168277
the van halen'ness brings it down
>>
I see a lot of people asking for reunions and stuff, saying that Axel had poor judgement on his songs late in the bands life, but nobody seems to remember that at that time he was completely fucking mental, showing up late to gigs with a super model in his arms, people were glad if he even showed up at all, not giving a shit about the lyrics he used, basically doing whatever the fuck he wanted. He went from workoholic to pure fucking not giving a shit attitude. Then again, a 26 month tour is going to destroy you in some way or another.
>>
>>64168272
yeah, I struggle with those except Johnny and Bowling Rons

seems like, talking about it, British Rock music split away from America around then, then.
>>
Was a huge fan in my teens. I would post on the message boards during the Chinese Democracy era, that was some crazy shit. So much fucking drama and conspiracy theories. And whenever a new song demo leaked, it was like fucking christmas morning on those places.

Speaking of the CD demos, they were so much better than the versions that made the album. He not only replaced most of Buckethead's parts, but added a lot of unnecessary shit.
>>
>>64168319

If you struggle with Aerosmith at least give Rocks and Toys in the Attic a shot. There's a few great rock n roll records buried under all that shit they had written for them in the 80's.
>>
>>64168381

lol, mygnrforum and HTGTH in the mid 2000's was a fucking riot.
>>
Fag hag
>>
>>64167786
November Rain does what the Smiths tried to do.
>>
good enough for scaruffi, good enough for me
>>
>>64168412

I checked those out again when the reunion hit, i'm glad to see they're still active. The other big forum from that time, chinesedemocracy.com is sadly a dead zone now. I had a lot of fun times posting there circa 2006.
>>
>>64168476
dude what
>>
>>64166236
worst ever, no question
>>
>>64168393
I'm more this really, the post-hippy scarfs and bandannas you know, I just would listen to Atheist and drink lager

because maybe Judas priest and Black Sabbath are what became thrash and death metal, in a way,

and GnR lost to Seattle and lost to Britwop really
>>
File: 66666.jpg (53 KB, 750x656) Image search: [Google]
66666.jpg
53 KB, 750x656
>>64168476

excuse me?
>>
>>64168634
I had a really good argument for this a few days ago, but I got drunk and forgot it. I'm trying to remember what it was by letting the thought air out.
>>
>>64168619

Same. I started following all of that right before the first batch of CD leaks. I think it was IRS and Better that came first, then Catcher In The Rye. Pretty weird/frustrating/cool time to be a GNR fan.
>>
>>64168476
I totally know what you mean
>>
>>64166236
>This shithead is now the lead singer for AC/DC (at least for the rest of their tour)
Fucking hell.
>>
>>64168393
Rocks is a great hard rock record. Better than Appetite desu senpai.
>>
>>64168715
>implying he won't be great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrXtqnvt7i4
>>
>>64168393

Dream On is fucking GOAT. I wish they'd done more songs like that.

Also Sweeeeeeeeet Emoooooootion
>>
>>64168194
Well, actually he is since turning them into a merchandising machine was primarily his idea. Also he completely stopped giving a fuck after the 70s while Paul kept wanting to push forward and improve his craft.
>>
>>64166236
Lame
Lame
>>
>>64166236

one of the greatest bands of this time
>>
>>64168272
Read some interviews with Axl and Slash from the late 80s-early 90s. They pretty much said they wanted to bring back bluesy, riff-driven rock of the kind that Zeppelin and Aerosmith used to do, because in the 80s everyone just played power chords and shredder solos with no element of blues in them.
>>
>>64166236
GNR is pretty bleh. This is coming from a huge classic rock fan. Axl Rose is a total pussy, Metallica toured with him and he ran off the stage in a tantrum, meanwhile James Hetfield continued touring even after surviving a pyrotechnic blast that scorched his arm to shit
>>
Guns were, if you will, the last of the classic rock bands before the alternative era started. In a way, like Debussy said of Wagner. "A beautiful sunset mistaken for a dawn."
>>
redneck-metal, they suck donkey ass
>>
fucking terrible
>>
>>64169244
They sort of succeeded to that end because the alternative guys like AIC and Pearl Jam played riffy blues rock (which is also why Cobain didn't like them, he thought alternative rock shouldn't sound like that).

Nu metal if anything was the final death knell of solos or any blues sound in rock.
>>
>>64169244

I'm well aware, there was more to their sound though. Duff had a hardcore/punk background, Izzy had sort of a weird glam/stonesy background, and Steven was basically just a huge Kiss fanboy. It all locked together very nicely.
>>
>>64169420
Yes, the 90s was a very throwback decade, when AOR was popular again and all of the slick, high-tech 80s sounds were rejected. Suddenly it became cool again to play blues rock or strum an acoustic guitar.
>>
>>64167861
It's the best
>>
>>64169244
>because in the 80s everyone just played power chords

>Metallica and Megadeth didn't play any riffs
>>
>>64169383
Their Redpill Anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9B7hgSztA0
>>
>>64169420
I'd say of all the major influences on nu metal, Korn did the most to kill solos. The other major bands that shaped nu metal like Pantera and Rage Against The Machine still had the completely conventional "solo after the third verse" song structure.

Korn though, they were different, weird, had sounds and song structures nobody had seen before. And importantly, they didn't play solos.
>>
>>64169478
They did, but they were effectively underground in the early days and only pushed to the mainstream thanks to Guns paving the way for riff-driven rock to make a comeback. By 88-89, Metallica were one of the biggest bands in America and far from the underground act they were in 83-84.

However, the thrash bands still mostly didn't have blues in their sound. Megadeth had some, but the classic Metallica and Slaer records really had no blues and to the extent they did play solos, it was more just a variation on the usual 80s shredder antics.

Now, Metallica's 90s efforts did become a lot more bluesy in no small part thanks to that sound becoming fashionable again.
>>
A non-alternative rock version of Jane's Addiction

An 80s hair metal band with better talent and far more sincere passion

A band that was big without being deep, which is fun and cool if you let it be.
>>
>>64167400
Weren't you just ranting about how pretentious it is to come in threads just to say something's shit?
>>
Van Halen are often credited with being the first big-name rock act to dispense with blues, though in fact Kiss had done that several years earlier and even before them, The Who.
>>
I wanna hear all the crazy shit Axl has recorded over the years. Especially the stuff with Buckethead. I bet there's tons of industrial tracks from the 90s hidden away in his house somewhere, because i know he was really into that back then and wanted to take GN'R in that direction.
>>
>>64168655
>because maybe Judas priest and Black Sabbath are what became thrash and death metal, in a way

Well, really Motorhead were the first guys to kick up the tempos on their songs (Priest didn't move past sluggy, sub-100 bpm playing until Sin After Sin).
>>
File: John-Madden.jpg (115 KB, 425x240) Image search: [Google]
John-Madden.jpg
115 KB, 425x240
>>64169761

what
>>
>>64169828
While true, Motorhead didn't have their mainstream breakout until a year after SAS which had faster songs anyway).
>>
>>64169828
talking about this

was Judas Priest the first band to talk about "the metal brotherhood" etc.?
>>
>>64169875
>>64169828
I don't get where Motorhead is called the fathers of thrash metal because they were not that fast. For example, Overkill is around 130 bpm while Sinner is around 200 bpm which is faster than many Metallica/Slayer songs.
>>
>>64169939
>>64169922
Also Lemmy never actually considered himself metal.
>>
>>64169939
>I don't get where Motorhead is called the fathers of thrash metal because they were not that fast. For example, Overkill is around 130 bpm

It's not, but when they started in 1975, everyone was playing 60-90 bpm songs. The classic Sabbath tunes average 60-70 bpm.
>>
>>64170019
>>64169939
It's a misconception because Motorhead in the 90s started playing at closer to thrash metal tempos and people got the idea that they'd always been like that. In the last couple of years when Lemmy's health was deteriorating and he struggled to keep up with the rest of the band, people would say "Aw, poor guy he can't handle speed metal anymore." while forgetting that in the 80s they played at the same (slower) speed as the records.
>>
>>64170108
We're talking 25-30 years ago. It had been a long time and the younger metal fans probably assumed Motorhead always played at 200 bpm while the older guys who'd seen them in the 80s didn't remember.

But no, go and look at live footage of Overkill and AOS from like 1982 and they played the songs at 120-140 bpm same as the records.
>>
>>64169939

Wasn't Queen the first ones to do thrash metal with 'Stone Cold Crazy'?
>>
Chuck Berry actually invented speed metal; Johnny B. Goode is 170 bpm.
>>
>>64170325
Sort of. Though some people might credit Jailhouse Rock and Hound Dog with inventing metal guitar (thanks, Scotty Moore, an unsung hero of rock-and-roll)
>>
>>64170108
Lemmy was doing fine until he got past 65, which is when he really started to go downhill. Even just in the last two years of his life, the decline was alarming (check out interviews with him in 2013 and '15, he looks like he aged about 20 years).
>>
>>64169922
You're correct. They were the guys who really defined metal as a distinct genre of music while the early 70s guys like Sabbath and BOC just considered themselves "heavy rock". Even to this day, Iommi still prefers to call himself heavy rock rather than metal.
>>
>>64170325
It's not metal. It's a straight blues riff
>>
>>64170698
Yeah that's why I said below that Hound Dog sounds more proto-metal than anything.
>>
>>64170640
I'll be legit sad when either Rob or KK kick the bucket tbf
>>
>>64170779
Tipton is better.
>>
>>64170736
>>64170469
Scotty Moore said that the solo on HD sounds aggressive because "I was in a bad mood on the day we recorded the song, so I played like it."
>>
>>64166236
gets worser everyday
>>
>>64170835
From a technical standpoint, he absolutely is, plus he came up with all those headbanging riffs on Victim of Changes, Exciter, Delivering The Goods, etc.

Though Downing was a million times more exciting live.
>>
>>64170835
ye but I met KK some years ago so I like him more, I'm being absolutely not objective I know
>>
File: fat_elvis.jpg (15 KB, 251x352) Image search: [Google]
fat_elvis.jpg
15 KB, 251x352
>>
>>64170841
>>64170469
Hound Dog is 140 bpm which is roughly mid-tempo to uptempo but Jailhouse Rock is closer to thrash speed (166 bpm).
>>
>>64170924
>dat elvisknuckle
>>
Judas Priest after SAS is 80% Tipton's playing, including all of the more commercial tracks. KK Downing became pretty irrelevant early on even if his live renditions of Sinner are almost otherworldly.
>>
>>64171236
Maybe I'm a contrarian at heart but I've always loved his short solos, and yeah live he was great

as the other anon said Glenn is objetively a better guitarist both technically and from a compositional standpoint, but KK is the perfect match for him
>>
>>64171331
Yeah. They made a good pair. Each was good at their own niche, but JP would still be JP with out KK. Tipton? Not so much.
>>
>>64171331
>as the other anon said Glenn is objetively a better guitarist both technically and from a compositional standpoint

As a lyricist though, cheesy af. He wrote all the campy stuff like The Ripper and Starbreaker while Rob wrote the 2deep4u songs like Beyond The Realms Of Death.

The Ripper Owens albums in the 90s are horribly, horribly cheesy because Rob was gone by then and Glenn wrote about 90% of the lyrics on those records.
>>
>>64170857
haha
m-muh serpentine tho
>>
>>64171331
They're kind of like Aerosmith where Brad Whitford has the more orderly, structured classical guitar style while Joe Perry has the loose, atonal style.
>>
>>64166236
At least they aren't as terrible as all the glam shit that was coming out at the same time as theirs.
>>
File: Xgau GNR.png (177 KB, 1557x790) Image search: [Google]
Xgau GNR.png
177 KB, 1557x790
>>
>>64171794
yeah Motley Crue and all of them
>>
>>64171824
The only Motley Crue anyone needs is Too Fast For Love, Shout At The Devil, and Decade of Decadence. Rest belongs in the trash.
>>
>>64169939
I'm kind of surprised Sinner is 200 bpm because it honestly doesn't sound anywhere near that fast but then again the original vinyl mix of SAS is a fuzzy mess (they didn't have good production until Hell Bent For Leather).
>>
>>64168655
>are what became thrash and death metal
more like thrash and doom metal
>>
"Dad rock" doesn't exist. You are all just homos
>>
>>64171852
Live Wire kicks butt. I love the riff in that thing.
>>
>>64172720
>yfw Lemmy liked Mötorhead more than Metallica
>>
>>64172594

Whoa man, whoa
>>
>>64166236
Important in calming hard rock down after a decade of decadent glam.
>>
>>64172915
Motley Crue you mean? Well yeah they were closer to his drugs, sex, and roll-and-roll schtick than Metallica's abstract songs about mental illness and nuclear war.

>>64171852
Uh huh. By the time you get to the end of the decade, they were softening up and doing increasingly poppy songs like Kickstart My Heart. Not to say they were losing fans, actually Motley were bigger than ever during the Dr. Feelgood era, but the fanbase was getting increasingly casual and female.
>>
>>64173213
Plus I mean, one of Metallica's most iconic songs is an anti-heroin ditty and like shit Lemmy was going to go for that.
>>
>>64173271
Lemmy was anti-heroine.
>>
AFAIK Lemmy mostly drank and did amphetamines. Never heard of him using coke or heroin.
>>
>>64166497
I bet you and your bros blast each other while listening to it.
>>
>>64173868
>>64173733
He didn't like heroin because a girlfriend ODed on it, however he thought drugs should be legalized and regulated.
>>
I'll give you a pointer. Laboratory-grade heroin and cocaine are pretty much harmless, but the stuff you get on the street is full of impurities that poison your body. If you did legalize the stuff and only allowed it to be purchased from pharmacies where it's been manufactured to a safe standard, you'd solve most of the problems with it.
>>
>>64173995
Except the problem of pure drugs being dangerous as fuck because you OD really easily.
>>
Axl Rose was pretty anti-drug, actually Mr. Brownstone is a sarcastic song about his bandmates always wanting to get high instead of practicing their playing.

I think Slash was the main junkie in the band, like Nikki Sixx, it took a near-death experience for him to get clean.
>>
Hate axel hate GnR
>>
File: 1336004742636.gif (2 MB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
1336004742636.gif
2 MB, 160x120
>>64169761

>mfw you're serious

the fuck, man.
>>
>>64173995
>>64174040
Here's the thing though, if you could only obtain heroin from a licensed pharmacy and required it to meet X quality standards, two things happen.

1. It becomes expensive af
2. Junkies won't want to use laboratory-grade smack because the impurities in the street stuff are a large part of what gets you high. Clean heroin has a lot less potency.
>>
>>64174135
Yeh it's actually like pot. On one hand, you could just dispense THC in a pill, however stoners won't accept that for same reason. It would cost them way more money and you can't get high as much.
>>
>>64167571
Listen to the opening riff from The Ocean. Its terrible. I'm not fluent enough in music to explain it but they really don't pull off that riff. I get how people hate zepplin cause that song is basically how those people see all their music. That whole put on coolness that is dated with the lead singer trying to be a woman and the mysticism and stuff.

You compare that to Sabbath which is a pretty similar band but every riff sounds so deliberate. They also do that mysticism shit but it works for some reason, probably due to less reliance on those same old blues riffs.

I like both bands but its easy to see why one aged well and the other didn't
>>
>>64173894
lmao
>>
>>64173894
check mate
>>
>>64174332
I'll give you another example - Rain In Blood and Master of Puppets are from the same year, yet the former still sounds fresh while the latter...sounds like the 80s. Like you, I'm not quite fluent enough in music either to explain why that is.
>>
>>64174332
It might be Iommi's guitar tone vis a vis Page's. The tone Page uses on The Ocean has that bright, chromatic 50s-60s electric blues sound (although the album is from the 70s). That does probably contribute to making it sound old.
>>
>>64174767
In this case it's more because Slayer's sound isn't as melodic and relies more on whammy bar rape. Metallica are more riff-driven and have certain kinds of riffs/melodies that sound like that era. The best example I can think of is the slow midsection in MOP which sounds like it belongs in a He-Man episode.
>>
>>64174332
>>64171236
>>64171331
I always thought Sin After Sin and Turbo were the most dated Priest albums and Hell Bent For Leather the least dated.
>>
>>64166236
Seeing them this June at Ford Field, I don't care what any of you faggots think, it's gonna be fucking awesome and I pity those of you who don't appreciate what you're missing.
>>
>>64175146
How so.
>>
>>64175289
SAS and Turbo are both weighed down by horribly dated period fads while Hell Bent doesn't ride on any fads; it sounds pretty much like its own thing.
>>
>>64175289
>>64175342
Don't even get me started on Starbreaker or Parental Guidance
>>
>>64174332
Rolling Stones relied heavily on blues riffs yet they generally sound less dated than Zeppelin.
>>
>>64175536
Again it's probably Zeppelin's particular aesthetic or the way they use their riffs that dates them worse.
>>
WTF is up with the GNR posts lately. Is it because of the reunion? Please stop already
>>
>>64175786
I'm going to make 12 more threads about GnR now.
>>
Brian Johnson claimed his hearing loss isn't as bad as it seems and Angus ejected him from the band for other reasons.
>>
>>64175988
Actually Brian didn't suffer hearing damage from decades of loud music (surprisingly), he blew his ears out at a racing event from forgetting to put on a helmet.
>>
They were the very best at what they did - that sleazy LA strip hard rock
Most of the bands of that scene were awful, cringe-worthy pap. GNR came from that world, but gave it substance of a love of hard rock, real talent, and a very unique vision of the whole thing.

That said, in music I go for emotion, and in that sense GNR is a very shallow pleasure. There's not really much there. Yeah, they're fun, and when you compare them to other comparable shallow hard rock bands of genres like glam metal, post-grunge, and AOR, GN'R are the very best. But when you compare them to anything with substance, especially the post-hardcore, noise rock, and grunge bands of their era, by comparison GN'R is a completely empty experience.

It's almost never said, but Rocket Queen is the best song they ever did.
>>
It's like this. Angus Young is 60 and he wants to keep going for another decade, then maybe retire when he's 70. He also plans to record at least one more album yet.

Here's the rub; Brian Johnson is older than Angus, in fact he's closer to 70 and by the time Angus's future recording and touring plans are done, he'll be almost 80. Angus in all likelihood doesn't think relying on a 70+ frontman is a good idea, so he feels that maybe a different, younger guy is needed for the band's final decade.
>>
>>64166497
I blast Rocket Queen like the patrician I am. Get out of here with your Paradise Shitty
>>
>>64176087
>Most of the bands of that scene were awful, cringe-worthy pap. GNR came from that world

Then again, they really aren't since none of Guns's members were Los Angeles natives, they were born and raised in other places (Axl for instance grew up in Indiana).
>>
>>64169761
Lol nice try m8
>>
Brian's claiming they "kicked me to the curb" and treated him like a hired gun.

Well, they're not not treating him like a hired gun.
>>
>>64176215
He is a hired gun even with almost 40 years with the band. Like it or not, Malcolm and Angus were the founding members of the band, they hired Bon Scott before him, and they hired Brian later.

Also AC/DC's good albums were all produced during the Bon Scott era. Brian just got lucky because he got hired when Back In Black was three-quarters completed and most of the songwriting had been done before Bon died. The later albums all sucked except The Razor's Edge and only because the Young brothers stripped Brian of his songwriting duties.
>>
It's funny because when Bon Scott first joined the band in '74, the Young brothers thought he was a grandpa and "too old to rock" (he was 28 and they were 19-20).
>>
>>64176134
It'd be funny if they did hire Axl permanently. He'd only be like 63 when Angus retires in 8-10 years.
>>
Guns and Roses suck. End of discussion. End of thread.
>>
>>64177071
pleb
Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.