[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12
What is the appeal? Is this good?
>>
Nope
>>
its fucking good.
>>
miles better than born in the USA but still a mid tempo snoozefest, go for nebraska and the ghost of tom joad
>>
File: british.png (133 KB, 500x295) Image search: [Google]
british.png
133 KB, 500x295
>>64164899
It's a great rock album of grand scale, sorry that you look like this OP.

You probably think that the Beatles and Rolling Stones are better than Bob Dylan and the Beach Boys too.
>>
>>64164938
>born to run is a snoozefest
>listen to nebraska
what?
>>
It's okay.

All of Springsteen is spring cleaning tier music.

Just keep it stowed away until you just need some not too boring background music.
>>
>>64164899
It's his best along with Darkness on the Edge of Town, don't listen to this faggot >>64164938
Give it a couple more listens. Most Springsteen albums oddly took a few listens to click for me.
>>
it's a really great classic rock album about being in that age where shit starts to get real and you try to hang on to the last big dreams of your youth

Springsteen's greatest trait was being a really honest song writer - after Born to Run he became a big star and mostly started writing about "other people" and lost some of that honesty. Born to Run is a great portrait about being in that stage of your life - it's humane, still a little idealistic and relatable, it dreams big in the face of overwhelming odds and is beautiful for that feel of crumbling innocence.

Also the DVD of his first gig outside of the US months after the release of Born to Run is one of the best concert films ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypL7b6B0ZTE
>>
It's a Jersey thing.
>>
>>64164991
I find Born to Run and Darkness similar in how inconsistent they are. Thunder Road and Racing in the Street are probably my favourite Springsteen songs, plus there's other top-tier songs like Jungleland and Darkness, but about half of both albums feels pretty skippable to me.
>>
>>64165084
...mind you, I guess the same's true of Born to Run and The River. Although The River's longer, so it's understandable.
>>
>>64165053
I get that it's honest and sincere, but I feel like the whole 1970s northeast blue collar scene is extremely foreign with all the jazz/blues horns. It feels like such a cultural thing that flies over my head.
>>
>>64165073
That's exactly how I feel. Like a blue collar Jersey thing that you had to be there to get, or at least be from there and be raised by parents who were from there and into it
>>
>>64165084
Well, I think they're unique in that about half the songs on each album are a tier above the rest. But I think the other songs are great as well. She's the One is probably my least favorite song across both albums, but it's like a solid 7/10 if Thunder Road and Jungleland are 10/10
>>
>>64164968
is it important American music, though?
>>
>>64165145
...by which I mean Born in the USA, of course.
>>
He played at my dad's college in 76 a result of which his roommate played BTR over and over and over and over and drove him to the point of insanity.
>>
It's pretty much a boomer whinefest about "We don't want to copy our parents' conformo Levittown 9-5 lifestyle I wanna run away from it all." That's the summation of this album.
>>
i'm seeing him today for the first time. what should i expect /mu/
>>
How it get big? Well, for one thing Bruce sounded really, really unique. His debut with Greetings From Asbury Park was totally unlike anything else out in 73.
>>
>>64165447
He's still great live and hasn't lost his eerily hypnotic power over audiences. You will however have to deal with any number of fat idiots in bandanas waving cigarette lighters in the air and singing BOOOORN IN THE YOOOOOEESSSSAAAAAYYYY (these are the people who only go there to hear his big hits and then leave immediately afterwards).
>>
>>64165397
It does feel like an inside conversation in a highschool in the 70's in New Jersey set to white boy blues. I can't even pretend like I care what he's talking about.

I appreciate that it's coming of age, but it may as well be an album about a kid in India coming of age in the 1700's set to some other type of music I don't like
>>
Him and Billy Joel really kind of encapsulated the Northeastern US in the 70s-80s. You'd have to be from this part of the country to appreciate them.
>>
>>64165397
>>64165511
Whaddya think rock-and-roll is, son? Something that allows 14 year old white boys to rage against a world they'll never beat (by 40 you'll be the same mindless office drone with 2.5 kids your father was, who are you kidding).
>>
>>64165531
I'm from the south. I can't connect, i feel
>>
>>64164899
Springsteen bores the fuck out of me
>>
>>64165531
Britbong here, that's incorrect. One of the reasons I like Springsteen is there's something exotic about how American his stuff is.
>>
>>64165195
I'm not from Jersey. Am I pretending to like it?
>>
>>64165574
>by 40 you'll be the same mindless office drone with 2.5 kids your father was, who are you kidding
I'd say that's more of a baby boomer problem. A lot of people born after around the early 80s won't even have the option of the cushy, boring office jobs and decent houses their parents had. Living standards in the western world have been on the slide for a while now. I think today's kids will be too worried about ever actually being able to afford a house/car/family in the first place to think about escaping from it.
>>
>>64165173
hmh. I've always found it very relatable despite being European and never owning a car and never wanting to just get away from it all with my girl and whatever
>>
>>64165447
I just saw him last Thursday.. Great show. He played for 3 and a half fucking hours.
>>
>rock n roll with very strong songwriting and arrangements
>lyrics focused on the fears and anxieties of working class north easterners
>bombastic production which transforms the woes and music of the aforementioned working class into a drama of epic scale

Bruce is The Boss for a reason, pleb
>>
>>64165574
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaOlfmX8rQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtzIWPeun7c

At least these guys had some self-awareness about the futility of teenage rebellion.
>>
>>64165736
If you think there's no futility, anger and despair in Springsteen then you're not paying much attention.
>>
>>64165574
>grocery shopping the other day
>see dumpy 50-ish guy carrying bags to his car
>dude has an old ratty T-shirt and shorts and a beer gut and looks like he's been through World War III
>yfw you see a future version of yourself

Hold me, /mu/.
>>
>>64165809
Oh, he was very angsty on the first two albums until he became a rich jetsetting celebrity and lost touch with real people.
>>
>>64165867
notsureifjokingorjusthasntheardNebraskaorhalfofSpringteen'sotherstuff.jpg
>>
File: chris christie.jpg-large.jpg (133 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
chris christie.jpg-large.jpg
133 KB, 1024x1365
let's just agree: fuck pic related. professed Springsteen fan who goes against everything he stood for.

>>64165053
Oh my god the Hammersmith Odeon concert is GOAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrAfZ61xEwI

>>64165195
>>64165073
>>64165641
I don't think a lot of NJ totally gets it... It's more a Monmouth/Ocean county thing (combined 5x population of Iceland btw). Just, walking on the beach in Long Branch you can fucking feel it. The desperation/optimism, that somewhere out there is the world you've been looking for.
>>
>>64165966
Well yeah, that was when he just became a guy who lived in a mansion and pretended to care about the poor and downtrodden.
>>
>>64165531
There really is something to this. My parents had always spoken highly of the boss, but I didn't really check out his music until my early 20s. Once I did, it was like I'd uncovered a portal into their past.
>>
>>64166006
must be bait
buuuut if it's not, he's taking a principled stand, whether or not you agree with his principles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/business/media/bruce-springsteen-cancels-a-north-carolina-concert-over-anti-gay-law.html?_r=0
>>
>>64165594
>>64165531
If you're British you might relate more to a song like Allentown since Britain also faced a similar situation in the early 80s with factories and mines closing down.
>>
File: le trash man.jpg (394 KB, 778x1018) Image search: [Google]
le trash man.jpg
394 KB, 778x1018
>>64166050
>anti gay law
>>
File: evG03rz.gif (4 MB, 520x356) Image search: [Google]
evG03rz.gif
4 MB, 520x356
>>64166127
i dont get this. do you have a distaste for legislation meant to ensure gay/trans rights? do you think the legislation isn't anti-gay? are you trolling m-

ahhh, i see.
>>
Remember when Springsteen used to complain about factories and family farms closing instead of whether trannies can use a women's restroom?
>>
Springsteen is terribad. Monotonous, repetitious, atonal, off key, tone deaf vocalist and a substandard guitarist. He needs an army of world class musicians behind him just so he can sound barely passable. Way, way over rated. Arguably the most over rated musician of all time.
>>
I knew Xgau couldn't be taken seriously when he creamed himself over Springsteen while calling Black Sabbath unlistenable nonsense.
>>
I'm from Somerset/Middlesex county. I agree it's stronger in Monmouth/Ocean counties but also factor in that those counties are huge with summer tourism, even/especially with those from NJ going down for the summer. Those kids eventually grew up and became our parents, living elsewhere throughout the state.

Going to Rutgers and being at any kegger while Born to Run or Thunder Road comes on will show you a random array of strangers with Springsteen parents drunkenly singing along like brothers, because they get it. I totally understand that /mu/ doesn't.
>>
>>64165993
>>64166294
Should have probably linked the posts
>>
>>64166287
All the critics cream themselves over Springsteen and hate Sabbath.
>>
>>64166287
>listening to any critic about anything, ever.
>>
Good songwriting goes to waste if your singing and playing skills are as bad as his are.
>>
File: 1460652277140.jpg (7 KB, 209x279) Image search: [Google]
1460652277140.jpg
7 KB, 209x279
>>64164899
>This thread
>>
>>64166580
Every cover of any Springsteen song is better than the original.
>>
>>64166294
this, 100%. Idk if it'll translate super well to my kids, but I'll do what I can when I have them
>>
>>64166761
That's child abuse.
>>
I'm not kidding. There's plenty of good live versions of BTR as well as covers, but the album version is horrible ear rape.
>>
File: giphy-2.gif (1 MB, 304x168) Image search: [Google]
giphy-2.gif
1 MB, 304x168
>>64166838
>mfw he put in the effort to solve a captcha in order to post this
>>
>>64166749
>he likes Revved Up Like a Douche
>>
just posting the under-rated Springsteen album

shit's great
>>
>>64165690
>Living standards in the western world have been on the slide for a while now

I'm pretty sure we have lots of conveniences we didn't have 30 years ago like Internet access, phones, and HDTV.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (131 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
131 KB, 1440x1080
>>64167077
it is fantastic, esp. 4th of July

Though pic related is the goat underrated springsteen album
>>
>>64167115
Yeah, and the baby boomers had neat gadgets their parents didn't have too. But they also had education without massive debts, affordable housing, and readily available stable employment.
>>
File: 1422409111598.jpg (152 KB, 644x591) Image search: [Google]
1422409111598.jpg
152 KB, 644x591
>tonight
>in
>jun
>gle
>laaaaaaaand
>>
>>64167224
>believing this lie
>>
>>64165641
I have nipples, Greg
>>
>>64167274
He's been reading too many /pol/ threads. Putting aside the Middle East, the world on the whole is freer, stabler, and more prosperous than 40 years ago when half the globe was ruled by totalitarian governments, people lived in fear of nuclear war, and we didn't have nearly today's technology, conveniences, or medical care.
>>
>>64167374
Yeah, I gotta say, if you live in the USA and your life sucks, it's pretty much your fault.
>>
>>64167374
Prosperity is relative and can only be judged in the context of its own era. The US and Britain in the 70s were in the shitter while Germany and Japan were booming, yet the 70s US with its high inflation and energy prices was still far better to live in than the US of the Roaring 20s when there was way less technology and tons of people still lived like the Middle Ages with no electricity or running water and were dropping at 40 of tuberculosis and malnutrition.
>>
>>64167466
Even the poor areas like LatAm and Africa are better off today than the 70s when they were wracked by dictatorships, coups, and proxy wars between the US and Soviet Union.
>>
>>64167706
Agreed, generally speaking, the world is a much better place than it was in the 70s. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the fuck their talking about.
>>
>>64165290
Eh popular but not important it's nothing groundbreaking

It's okay
>>
>>64167820
Today we just have Mudslimes and they don't have a huge-ass army with hundreds of nuclear missiles like the Soviets did.
>>
>>64167374
>>64167466
>>64167578
>>64167706
>>64167820
yeah, i really agree. we have some problems that weren't as much of an issue back then, but any reading of history in which the world hasn't consistently gotten better over the last century is delusional.

>>64167980
i agree in sentiment, that radical islam is among our biggest threats. But "mudslimes"? Really? A cheap name pun? If you're going to slur someone, at least be creative about it
>>
>>64168131
Pol spillover.
>>
>>64167012
Still better than the Springsteen version.
>>
>>64168355
You have objectively shit taste if you truly believe that.
>>
>>64168378
It's true. Also the Patti Smith version of Because the Night is thousands of times better. Hell. Even the Natalie Merchant version is better than Bruce's.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.