[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HKE calls vaporwave "more similar to Bronies than a music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: _wgkjG_W.png (559 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
_wgkjG_W.png
559 KB, 512x512
https://twitter.com/HKEdream/status/721812716852285441

Also, he removed two Death's Dynamic Shroud.wmv albums from the Dream Catalogue bandcamp (one of which was featured in FACT Magazine's year end list).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vaporwave/comments/4f94sl/hke_calls_vaporwave_more_similar_to_bronies_than/
>>
Also, here's a little shit talk I had with HKE over Twitter:

http://imgur.com/a/K9Ajy
>>
>>64162937
How mad do you have to be to start calling people bronies?
>>
Well, actually, that's a pretty accurate metaphor if you think about it.
>>
why they remove the albums though
>>
Like with everything else, HKE is a few years late with this groundbreaking revelation.
>>
No surprise there. Anyone who was paying attention could realize HKE is about the least artistic sociopath to waltz into vaporwave, and since day 1 his only goal was to get popular and make money. Hence why he's spent countless hours originally just spamming any release that was put on DC, and then eventually just anything with his name on it. And if you've ever talked to the guy, there's a distinct feeling of insincerity and almost irony and disgust to everything he says.

I actually don't disagree with the statement too much, but he's only saying it as another calculated cash/popularity grab just like everything else. Not a carefully calculated one, since he's shooting himself in the foot even if he does want to distance himself from vaporwave. But it was calculated.
>>
just hearing the stuff this guy is responsible for in passing, it's seriously not very good. It has some dignity, but musically it's almost worthless. the cover art is also pretty shit even though people seem to like it.

lots of good vaporwave with sampling and so forth but this guy's stuff is super amateur. and he's also the only personality you hear about from time to time saying stupid shit. I guess that kind of arrogance is how you get famous.

also every genre basically starts off as a niche community and music is often not the only thing that characterizes it. fashion and image is also almost always a huge part. seems the same case here.
>>
>>64163821
nothing interesting is happening in vaporwave anymore besides DC tho
>>
>>64163846
needs more substance. the sampling stuff is an actual idea. this new stuff is rain samples plus almost nothing musically. this guy should've put more effort into creating an actual sound if he's now complaining about it not being a genre.
>>
>>64162956
>>64162956
That was some pretty good shit talk actually. HKE sounds like a twat.

Although, I don't think a good mix is high on the objectives when it comes to vapourwave though. That's missed on HKE though as he clearly believes he's not a vapourwave artist. Smh hard at that 10% of his fanbase shit too. I literally would never have heard of him if it wasn't for vapourwave.
>>
>>64164032
2814 is a pretty okay/good album. Nothing special and it can devolve into background noise after a while. At least with the future funk stuff that Saint Pepsi was doing grabbed your attention for the most part. Again, nothing amazing but it wasn't trying to be either.

You can tell in the Needle Drop podcast that HKE is a bit of twat though. He shit talks the roman bust aesthetic thing but his whole schtick is playing up on the Chinese/Cantonese/Japanese (not in his case) lettering. Like any fucker in China is listening to 2814 right now.
>>
>>64163846
I won't disagree with this (I don't really follow vaporwave much anymore) but DC's been moving further and further away from vaporwave for quite some time. It was even there in the earlier days when it seemed more focused on vaportrap and ambient vaporwave than "pure" vaporwave. Hell it's what got my attention because they seemed less dedicated to furthering the same tired vaporwave stereotype than thinning out the genre definition a bit, but they've since established their aesthetic more as a hazy neon cyberpunk label than a vaporwave label. And I prefer that over the sunny future funk direction everybody else went, but DC just seemed to move far in the other direction.

I was a fan of them for a good while but they lost me somewhere along the way. Maybe it was the deliberate move to becoming a more "legitimate" label with physical releases and the loss of free downloads, which is a move I can respect, but it just lost the vaporwave spirit for me. They've still got a lot of personal classics in their catalogue and I'm sure they're still releasing solid stuff because HKE put together a circle of talented musicians that can deliver, but it just doesn't feel vaporwave to me anymore. And this is coming from somebody who will defend 2814 as vaporwave. I just don't see any value in listening to another vaporwave eulogy, I just can't fucking care. I understand why artist tend to grow out of vaporwave but you have to respect your roots, which HKE seems adamantly against since he had the fucking audacity to name himself as one of vaporwave's creators next to Vektroid.
>>
>>64164311
Also this hardvapour shit is just cringeworthy to me. I don't actually know what it is but the more they push it the more it just seems like oceangrunge all over again.
>>
>>64164032
Vaporwave, at least in its origins is a sub genre of plunderphonics imo. The most creative sample based vaporwave as of recent is I'll Try Living Like This. Imo its underrated, and the only reason I ever knew about was because of FACT's top of 2015. HKE claims to not make vaporwave but thats clearly not true "2 1 8 4" and all the vaporwave elements in that overhyped album. Its not even that great of an ambient album.
>>
this thread does nothing but further his point
death to you soft vapor pussies
>>
>>64164311
did he really claim to create vaporwave? holy shit this guy is full of himself.
>>
>>64164453
and HKE fucking removed I'll Try Living Like This from DC's Bandcamp. that sucks so hard. how can he do that when it was featured in FACT?
>>
>>64164694
anyone wanna hook a brotha up with this now rare album?
>>
>>64164709
https://deathsdynamicshroud.bandcamp.com/album/ill-try-living-like-this
>>
>>64164723
kek
ty
>>
>>64164694
was this recent? I was just listening to it last week.. maybe its because of uncleared samples?
>>
>>64165011
yeah they removed it just today. it probably is due to uncleared samples.
>>
>>64165040
Just sell make non-profit i.e. free then? I'm pretty uncleared samples has never been a problem for vaporwave in the past. Unless Saint Pepsi and Vektroid got 'Off the Wall' and 'It's Your Move' cleared and we were all unaware.
>>
>>64162937
Vaporwave is more filthyfrank instagram 9/11 meme cancer than bronies
>>
>>64165113
Making it free doesn't keep it from being infringement. The only way to get around clearing a sample is by being so obscure that you just don't draw the wrong attention.
>>
>>64165278
Surely the way a song is manipulated, chopped, screwed etc. would deem it fair use? If you aren't directly profiting from someone else's art (i.e. essentially recreating the track) surely there's no basis to sue.
>>
>>64165448
copyright jews don't care anon
>>
>>64165448
Fair use only comes into play if it's used for education or parody. And that's not for sampling, that only applies to composition. With sampling you're getting yourself into hot water with the song's publisher and the owners of the master recording. The only other argument you could make is if you alter the sample in such a way that it loses its similarity to the original recording, which is an argument I don't think anybody would try making when it comes to vaporwave.
>>
this fucking guy man
>>
>>64165610
I'd be surprised if some bigwigs aren't partially aware of the genre already though. Lisa Frank 420 has almost 6 million views on YouTube. Saint Pepsi's stuff got popular enough for Pepsi to get involved. Somewhere along the line lawyers must have been made aware.

I don't think clearing samples is why HKE removed those albums anyway.
>>
>>64162956
Are you seriously arguing with someone on Twitter using greentext? Jesus christ that's cringy.

Credibility dropped
>>
>>64166067
i know right
>>
>HKE
who?
>>
>>64165973
Part of it has to be that there's just no money in it. It's why it's usually the successful people who get into legal trouble over samples.
>>
>>64166089
Founder of the label Dream Catalogue. Has been featured in FACT, Tiny Mix Tapes, and others. learn some shit fucking fool.
>>
>>64162956
>>64162937
Who actually gives a fuck? He's kind of right anyway
>>
>>64162956

U using meme arrows on Twitter man

Tf
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.