[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Instruments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: trumpet.jpg (55 KB, 1000x526) Image search: [Google]
trumpet.jpg
55 KB, 1000x526
What Instrument(s) do you play?

How long have you been playing your instrument(s)

ill start off
>Trumpet, Euphonium
>6 years, 2 years

>inb4 GiTar mustard race
>>
Percussion/ drums/ drumset/ marching snare

About 7 years , looking to make music now
>>
File: atari.jpg (22 KB, 373x663) Image search: [Google]
atari.jpg
22 KB, 373x663
Guitar for 22 years, suck it kids

I also figured out how to play Super Mario Bros 2 on piano while getting shithoused on Steel Reserve in one night

I play lots of stuff but realistically I can only call myself a guitarist, pretty pleb tier at the rest
>>
File: IMG_20160314_095222781.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160314_095222781.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>64158152
Forgot pic related
>>
>>64158178
self taught or did you take lessons?
>>
trumpet, 6 years. looking to start on some new instruments this summer.
>>
piano, started playing at 6 but didn't appreciate it and don't practice it anymore so I'm not very good (probably at the level of someone who's played for only 3 or 4 years)
trombone, 6 years
guitar, just started playing last year (already feel more proficient on this than on piano because I practice it regularly)
>>
>>64158209

I took lessons for a year. I wish I would have listened harder, teacher was always like, "you can figure these Pumpkin fag songs out yourself. Listen to King Crimson/Pink Floyd" but it was the 90's and I just wanted to play alternative rock. When I was around 20 years old I started getting into shit from the past like Zappa. I had a little foundation like pentatonic scales and stuff but that really got me going.

Younger people today are even luckier because they can just go to youtube and learn! I was lucky in that my guitar teacher was a cool dude. Lots of people I talk to took lessons for a bit and had bad experiences, my teacher was awesome.
>>
>>64158299
ive been taking lessons for 6 years now and my teacher is a really nice guy but i feel like im at the point where me and him are reaching the same skill level and i want to keep taking lessons but i feel like they a just a little waste of time and money, do you think i should continue?
>>
>>64158383

You're probably better than me if you're at the level of your teacher! I don't even read music, I'm primarily a rock player and there are lots of styles and techniques of guitar I wish I would have learned (jazz etc)

Just keep playing. It depends where you want to take it... I just wanted to be good enough to play in a band and I did throughout my 20's, never made money or anything but it is really fun playing out and having fun.

If I could go back in time I would approach it with more discipline, because I plateau'ed after about 10 years and it's harder to teach an old dog new tricks.
>>
I used to play classical guitar when I was young, I was pretty good but I stopped in 5th grade because I got 17/25 at an international music competition and the judges destroyed me and it made me hate playing (it was really stupid of me to stop).
My father forced me to get into electric guitar in 9th grade and used my birthday money to get a guitar and an amp.
At first I was really angry, but looking back he knew what was best for me.
He also got me this 25 year old metal guitarist teacher who demanded 3 hour practice a dayband near perfect technique as well.
It paid off in the end as I started gigging during highschool and traveled with the school band and it helped me a lot in life.
I was asked to enter this musical competition by teachers every year but I refused.
Sorry for the long post
>>
Piano, guitar and bass
I've been at it for over a decade at this point.
>>
Trumpet

Year and a half
>>
>>64158103
So no chords for you?
>>
Drums

Not entirely sure when I started because I learned how to play through getting really fucking good at Rock Band drums. It teaches you the technical stuff but not how to keep time or use the hi-hat pedal.

I've never been able to own my own drum kit but I have rented out other people's from time to time. It's weird because if I'm listening along to the track I can play some really technical stuff and would probably be considered pretty good, but in my very few experiences of playing with other people my time keeping skills are pretty shoddy.

So I'm waiting for the day I can have my own kit and then play with a metronome 24/7
>>
Guitar for a year, but I'm interested in piano. I want to write loads of songs but still be good at the instruments I play, kinda like Prince.
>>
Clarinet familia for 12 years. Perfer the Eb contrabass clarinet.
>>
>>64159425
I'm thinking about trying to learn piano as well.
I'm just so overwhelmed with the costs of it all. A decent piano is $500+ and then lessons on top of that will get pricey
>>
>>64160464
The Yamaha keyboards are pretty cheap. Theory kicks my ass on guitar, and I just think it'd be easier on piano.
>>
>>64158178
>Steel Reserve
The local gas station sold it for $2.50/16 oz can in uni, goddamn that high gravity lager was responsible for some good times
>>
File: IMG_1199.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1199.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
not mine unfortunately, just one of the pianos at my school.
4 years
>>
>>64158103
Guitar 7 years
Piano 3 years
Trumpet 2 Years
I'm also an okay singer.
>>
>>64162238
u can get 40s of it for 3dollars
>>
Guitar for ten years.
Piano for about four months.
>>
trying to learn harmonica for a few months now
mostly for my lungs to rehabilitate from operations
>>
Basically all low brass
Started on trombone 8 years ago, playing bass trombone for 4.

I fuck around with the guitar sometimes but I don't tell people I play guitar
>>
Drums for 7 years, piano for four
I fuck around with my brother's guitar every now and then.
>>
>>64159623
Contrabass clarinet is best clarinet

If I were to play a woodwind though, I'd play bassoon or contra bassoon
>>
>tfw tuba player but dont have money or space for a tuba since i graduated college

Life is the hellest
>>
>>64163888
Can you not rent one from somewhere?

Nice trips btw
>>
>>64158273
>>64163561
B O N E B O Y Z

I've played bone for like 2-3 years now but I'd say I'm p good at it. Played sax for 6 years before that.
Also play tube, ukulele, and a mean tin whistle
>>
I'm pretty old for learning an instrument with no prior experience (19). Is it too late for me to become proficient enough to play in a band before I'm too old to do so?
>>
>>64164329
Depends on what kind of band.
>>
>>64164388

Generic rock band stuff for fun. I know it's far too late to ever do anything groundbreaking or substantive.
>>
>>64164407
I was thinking more like you could probably do something like Beat Happening.
>>
>Guitar
Started on classical, then added bass and then finally electric. Altogether been playing for 20 years and I'd say I'm a 6/10.

>Saxophone
3 years on alto, jazz is hard and free jazz is fun. Also people on production forums seem to want it fairly frequently.

>Production
If you can call it an instrument, about 7 years on and off. For about 3 years I seriously tried to be a drum and bass/dubstep producer but I got disheartened. I occasionally write a dance track and some rock tracks where I play all the bits.

All in all if think I might have made a better saxophone player if I'd started when I was younger.

>>64162836
All brass instruments seem crazy hard, especially having to change your mouth shape for each note.
>>
>>64164737
>All brass instruments seem crazy hard, especially having to change your mouth shape for each note.
I played the cornet as a child so I had some of the technique allready but I think it's easier than it sounds.
>>
File: 1457937139967.jpg (224 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1457937139967.jpg
224 KB, 1200x1200
>>64162807
Same but for 9 years. Suggest some cool music, bro
>>
>>64164842

Yeah but for the saxophone the only embouchure changing you need to is widening the lower down you go and closing up the higher you go.
>>
>>64165024
Unless there's something I do without thinking about it that's how it is with brass too.
>>
>>64165055

Huh. I've obviously misunderstood something I've read then. Something about harmonics and valve position.
>>
How hard is it to get into the sax as an older person? I've loved the way they've sounded since I was a teen but never had the funds to get an instrument until recently.
>>
>>64165117
I've only played for 2 years and not very seriously so it's not like I know any remotedly advanced technique or anything but it sounds like you've misunderstood soemthing, yeah.
>>
>>64165260

I play with plenty of older people (like 50/60 years old), it's not too hard as long as you don't have a breathing condition, asthma, etc. Probably the only problem is the cost, a decent student level saxophone is about the same as a decent Gibson/Fender electric.

A fuck ton of fun but it comes at a price.
>>
>>64164098

It probably wouldnt be worth it tb h , i dont play in any community bands or anything. I just miss the feeling of producing something halfway decent on an instrument
>>
>>64158515
>I got 17/25 at an international music competition and the judges destroyed me and it made me hate playing
Why do they do this to kids?
>>
>>64159332
You should get lessons. It looks like you have a lot of natural talent.
>>
>>64166421

Asthma really isn't that bad for it. I have it, and it did suck for the first year or so, but you play like a normal person after that. It's a good way to unfuck your lungs - as long as you don't push yourself too hard too fast.
>>
drums for a really long time
Started at two, in a small drum line by age 4, did that till about 8 when I picked up chess after the drum teacher was fired, picked it back up at 12 in middle school and have been playing pretty much none stop for a decade. In college for music, it's gay I just want to play drum set. But whatever.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.