[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>the guy sitting next to me on the subway is listening to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1459678382561.jpg (67 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
1459678382561.jpg
67 KB, 600x549
>the guy sitting next to me on the subway is listening to U2 unironically

Music for this feel?
>>
>>64157895
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6WMzDOh1o
>>
>>64157895
>unironically thinking U2 is actually bad

Get with the times, m8
>>
>>64157895
Ask him what kind of day it is
>>
>>64157910
/thread
>>
>>64157969
Nah, while U2 were actually able to write a couple of good songs they remain fundamentally a bad band - the reason lying in the fact that they'll write bland studio rock and be willing and satisfied with putting it out. The reason why they differ from a band like Animal Collective is because they are not actively trying to build upon their sound at any given time.
>>
>>64158064
They had a decade-plus stretch between Boy and Achtung Baby where they could honestly do no wrong.

Their sound only became a meme because they got it just that good. Hating them because they're overplayed and because of what they inspired is like hating on The Who post-Who's Next because they nailed their sound so well that they became the blueprint for ALL 70's album-oriented dad-rock.

I think that as an artist, especially one as successful as U2 was (and still is), you sometimes have to come to terms with the fact that you will never capture lightning in a bottle the way you did when you were in your prime, and most seem to react by embracing the pop side of their sound.

It happens to everyone: Talking Heads post- Speaking In Tongues, Animal Collective post-MPP, Radiohead post-OK Computer (though they reacted by going experimental), and too many others to list.

But for some reason, we've all allowed All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb to take away from Boy, War, The Joshua Tree, and Achtung Baby to the point where hating U2 is a meme, while we somehow still love old Animal Collective and Remain In Light even though both bands later made poppy shit.
>>
>>64157895
Is it early U2 or new U2?

That's the real question
>>
>>64158648
its all the same desu
>>
>>64157895
Listen to suicidial music, so you can kill yourself for being such a pretentious opinion-bashing cunt.
>>
>>64157895
>tfw a guy sitting next to me on the subway was listening to Hollinndagain once
>>
File: 600[1].jpg (67 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
600[1].jpg
67 KB, 600x600
>>64157895
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.