[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your hopes for the new HAIM album? Here are mine. >more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: Haim_2866238c.jpg (61 KB, 460x468) Image search: [Google]
Haim_2866238c.jpg
61 KB, 460x468
What are your hopes for the new HAIM album? Here are mine.

>more emphasis on vocal harmony
>more 7th/9th/11th/13th chords (Days Are Gone was a bit too triadic for me)
>a song with a samba/bossa nova groove
>better mixing of jangly guitar parts into the songs (there are too many songs where the guitars don't sit well enough in the mix like Let Me Go and My Song 5)
>more funk and dance pop oriented songs like Falling and If I Could Change Your Mind
>>
i hope there isn't a new haim album
>>
>>64147785
Would you check it out if George Clinton and Prince were to be featured on it?
>>
>>64147192
no one listens to it and and continues to propogate unbearably white supremecist mediocrity
>>
>>64148192
>white supremacy
Most of Days Are Gone is ripped off from Michael Jackson and Prince. Not that it's a bad thing, HAIM picked good source material.
>>
>>64147192

Agreed with most of those, actually.
It was a pretty damn good debut, I expect their new one to be much improved and really impressive.
>>
>>64148265
>THEY'RE JEWS
>>
>>64148403
Check this album out. I think you'll like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6Fzjm5WFI

>>64148540
yeah, and?
>>
>>64148814
First song was just cheese,
Second one is much better though.
But...what made you think I'd like it?

Jumping through the other tracks, I'd rather listen to Michael McDonald, The Gap Band, Sade, SWV, etc.
>>
>>64149385
The fact that you agreed with me on my wished for the new HAIM album. To me, That's R&B-Bop is everything that HAIM should have done/should do.

The Take A Chance track is fire, so is How High The Moon.

I love all the artists you listed, but i find that artists like Basia, Pastiche, and The Manhattan Transfer are miles above them.
>>
>>64149725
Oooh, Basia. My aunt loved her; loved hearing her around her house.

Is this the only release Pastiche has? + Never heard of The Manhattan Transfer, will have to check them out

But for HAIM...I see what you mean, though Pastiche is that jazz-at-a-social-event, whereas I think most HAIM songs are going for that dance-pop like you mentioned. But, again, I am expecting to be impressed with them on the next one –including branching out of that sound they used to 'break in' to the industry with the first album

I think I'm most expecting territory like Tame Impala did for Currents – especially seeing as HAIM covered "Cause I'm a Man" pretty sweetly (the same as what Rihanna did, for the most part. Just covered the song, but this time it's coming from a woman, the muse of the originals that the band made. Though HAIM added a little more new programming, so that's cool)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J2I2huV6lE
>>
>>64150064
Check out Pastiche's other releases. One is called Remember That and the other is self-titled. They also did the opening and ending of Sonic CD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYWC6ob8uA0
I'm a little fearful that HAIM is going to try and incorporate their live sound onto the new album, which isn't very good. But as long as they can keep the groove strong it should turn out just fine though.
>>
id want them to stick their big jew noses up my butthole and give me a rusty trumbone
>>
>>64147192
>knowing this much theory
>still enjoying HAIM
based af but why are you
>not listening to Hiatus Kaiyote
>>
>>64147192
>more 7th/9th/11th/13th chords (Days Are Gone was a bit too triadic for me)
What kind of complaint is this? Why do you even give a shit as long as the music is good?

"Hey guys, the new Radiohead album was pretty awesome, but I just wish they had used first inversion more! Hopefully next time they even go all the way to third!"
>>
>>64147192
fuck off dude. quit mentioning michael jackson and prince
>>
>>64151716
Why? Days Are Gone almost as good as their classic albums. I expect that and more for their next.
>>
>>64151038
I'll have to check them out. But as to your question.
>Why do you still like HAIM
I'm into funky stuff and they make tracks with impeccable grooves.

>>64151343
Some of the arrangements get boring after a while. I feel the same way about Ellie Goulding's music and even tried to make one of her songs less boring.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1s0bmV13dyV
>>
>>64151343
7th/9th/11th/13th chords can add a lot of color to pop songs, whereas inversions barely do. It's not that complex. It just might sound complex to one who isn't familiar with the application of theory.

besides, imo maj7 chords are some of the sweetest sounding pop chords. King Krule uses them so well. So do dream pop bands and a lot of modern R&B as well as soul music through the golden age of the 60s

i don't wanna make you feel bad but seriously, you seem like you'd benefit from learning theory. i think a lot of people here have this gross misconception of theory being some lifeless mathematical approach to music when it's often used for conventionally pleasing music
>>
Days are Gone is one of my fav pop/rock albums of recent memory and I hope the songwriting is just as strong as their first album. I hope they don't lean heavily into My Song 5 territory and stay guitar pop.
>>
>>64152261
>where dat samba/bossa nova tho
You must check out HK's songs, The World It Softly Lulls and Jekyll (inspired by Fela Kuti)
S U P R E M E
>funky stuff with impeccable grooves
ayy have you gotten on that Allen Stone tho?

out of curiosity, how'd you get into HAIM? I was big into alt rock and soul during high school but my bassist/guitarist friend got me hyped on them and ended up dragging me to a show, and then when I had to suddenly move away, I clung onto their music for comfort. Funny enough, both my friend and I were huge into gritty punk by that time and now he's into pop punk while I'm into jazz. HAIM keeps us grounded haha.

Oh yeah did you check out their Pre-Forever EP? I think it's an unofficial release but Spirit Wind is amazing. Also, I wish they would put out a live version of Let Me Go because their live version of it had this extended buildup that they apparently played a few times live and it was cathartic af. Danielle needs to solo more imo...
>>
I'm sure op would care about these birds if they were ugly :)
>>
>>64152261

Whoa! I lOVE this jazzy arrangement! I'd love to do this to so many more songs, wow.
I actually love Ellie's music though – however this song was written by Tove Lo & other hitmakers for the movie. For the most part, I think Ellie's always been a great singer, but now she's narrowed down to a core, wonderful knack for simple & catchy melodies.

>>64152804
>if
But also, whatever, so they're not gorgeous. Still make some great tunes and seem like cool people. Is every friend of yours top-of-the-line attractive? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>64152804
>>64152875
call me a beta but este's hot af and danielle is waifu <3

i had a crush on danielle for like a year
>>
>>64152705
Thanks for the recs, i'll definitely check them out.

>how'd you get into HAIM
Some time a few years back I got tired of being a "wrong generationer", and was looking for music that I'd enjoy from this decade. I shuffled through a lot of crap and stumbled upon Don't Save Me. I though I would hate it but it reminded me of Prince and I've been hooked ever since.

>>64152804
You got that right, anon.

>>64152875
>they're not gorgeous
what'chu talkin' 'bout?
Go watch the music video to Falling and try and tell me they don't have nice legs.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.