[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So do you guys like The Needle Drop or nah? I heard /mu/ doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 2
So do you guys like The Needle Drop or nah? I heard /mu/ doesn't like him.
>>
>>64138057
I don't mind him. He just seems to be arbitrarily contrarian sometimes...
>>
>>64138057
I hate his opinions on rap
>>
I respect his opinions, but I don't always agree.

He tends to like his music on the noise side, I don't.
>>
>>64138167
pretty much this
>>
why the fuck would you watch a review of an album

just listen to it yourself you fucking idiots
>>
>>64138057
His reviews are more utilitarian than elegant. Good for finding new music but not all that impressive in their own right
>>
He doesn't balance his reviews well and seems to rate lower based on inane personal opinions, i.e. he's not objective.
>>
I stopped watching him when he gave Steven Wilson a 5
>>
/mu/ is the reason he's famous.

I liked how he was back when, when he just seemed like a dude reviewing music because why not.
Now he's some e-celeb that even collaborates with other unmusic related channels to promote his own views and shit. Which makes him untolerable.
>>
>>64138057
Fuck off Anthony.
>>
I often disagree with his opinions, but I don't really mind him overall. He seems like an alright person, judging by his main channel at least.
His fanbase are shitters who expect him to have the same view on music as them though.
>>
>>64138205
if nobody talked about music then /mu/ wouldn't exist

its just contributing to the conversation in a formal and recorded way

fantanos fuck tho
>>
He appeals to the guys that used to be into metal but grew up and started liking other stuff.
>>
>>64138057
he's really the first to do what he does, which is make videos of himself talking about albums he listened to, and i think he's interesting on camera, his alter ego is hilarious, and i think his channel is overall entertaining.
>>
>>64138236
This
>>
>>64138057
He has shit taste in metal so I don't pay any attention to him
>>
his recent screaming on camera has been very annoying desu
>>
>>64138969
>>64138969
he still listens to metal, what do you mean
>>
>>64139008
If you like any metal you have shit taste in general.
>>
We usually have 5-10 active threads about this guy in the catalog at any given moment

/mu/ is literally more obsessed with him than kanye, death grips, kpop, and itaots combined
>>
>>64139045
lol u dum
>>
>>64139031
I know he still listen to it but I bet in highschool he was mostly listening to harsh and brutal shit. Now he grew up, his testosterone levels are coming down a bit (assuming he doesn't train that much anymore) so he listens to milder stuff like Joanna Newsome or whatever.
>>
>>64139008
butthurt disturbed fan detected
>>
great at contextualizing artists and giving you little microbios

zero insight into what makes an album good or bad. really his reviews are the worst type of "criticism" in that he makes little attempt to reach beyond a list of elements he liked vs didn't like (eg utterly subjective bullshit that has no relevance to anybody but him)
>>
>>64139104
he was listening to punk in highschool, and that's still his favorite genre of music.
i'm pretty confident that testosterone levels don't change your taste in music.
>>
>>64138057
He's pretty entertaining to watch and I like to hear other's opinions on things so review videos are somewhat interesting to me
>>
>>64139207
>i'm pretty confident that testosterone levels don't change your taste in music.
It would be foolish to be confident of such a thing seeing as nobody has ever quantified exactly which elements produce a specific 'taste' in anything. Who fucking knows what factors go into it. I bet testosterone levels could affect your taste in Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit.
>>
>>64139248
that and i enjoy the level of depth that he describes the music with.
and his level of explanation of why he does or doesn't like a certain album is also impressive, some people like to accuse him of being ignorant or baseless but i have yet to catch him with any of that. I think they're just butthurt when he doesn't like their shit.
>>
>>64138236
>implying you can be objective about art
>>
>>64139271
no, but they have determined that the music you listen to past a certain age tends to be what you will enjoy for life.
>>
Not gonna shittalk or anything, I just have no use for him anymore. I get my recs from other places these days.
>>
>>64139346
it's not necessarily mutually exclusive since your hormone fluctuation settles down after a certain age
>>
>>64138236
>missing the point of a review
You can't be objective about music. The point is to give his personal opinion.
>>
>>64139404
word
>>
He ruined my life. Fuck you Anthony.
>>
>>64139295
You can still be insightful though if you can get in touch with WHY you have your subjective reactions on a deeper level than "my favorite Bjork album was X, and the vocals on this sound like they did on X, so I like this new album".

Some of the best film criticism I've read basically consists of the critic unearthing his prejudices and assumptions.

The goal isn't to be objective, it's to assess your subjective reaction in a way that is meaningful to others.
>>
>>64139346
Probably because you stop prioritising trivial things like music taste at a certain age. Music taste is superficial. In the end we like music that stimulates our brain. That's it. So when you're 45 and you'll want to relax and listen to an album because your business is in the shitter and your kid as problems with the law you won't go around looking for what's the hippest shit right now. You'll probably go for something that you already know you'll enjoy. The need to identify yourself via music just goes away after a while.
>>
>>64138057
his teeth are too big. and he's an n-word lover.
>>
>>64139519
Can't argue with that.
>>
>>64139491
>Insightful and fair expectations of a professional music reviewer
Get the fuck out of my board.
>>
>>64139519
what word to you mean by the n word
>>
I watch for cal t b h
>>
>>64139491

Some people hate him but the Nostalgia Critic does a good job of reasoning why he likes certain things. Because they reminds him of a certain time and place, etc.
>>
>>64139519

He loves Nutella?
>>
>>64139045
If you think it's reasonable to dismiss a genre as large as metal entirely you're either retarded or autistic

>>64139112
Disturbed is awful, but so are Ghost, Baroness, and the Sword
>>
>>64139645
Nostalgia is too subjective to take into account though. It's alright to mention it if you review something but the overall critic shouldn't only be based on that.
>>
he said he liked the alvin and the chipmunks records so i'm out.. though chipmunkson16speed was great obviously
>>
>>64139718
>>64139645
Again you can't avoid being subjective, if his anecdotes/narratives are interesting and insightful enough you could do good reviews this way. Insight into your own memories and experiences = knowing what elements of them speak to the universal human experience.
>>
>>64139718

I'm just talking about nostalgia (though that was his main schtick a few years back). He does a good job on spotting similarities, homages and juxtapositions between different directors.
>>
File: soon.jpg (219 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
soon.jpg
219 KB, 1600x900
fag can't rate an album to save his career
>>
>>64139491
sums up why fantano's fucking irritating for me

tell me WHY you like/hate it you big bald shitface
>>
He has some of the worst taste in Electronic Music Hands down. How the fuck do you give jamie xx In colours a 7, and Sophie a fucking 8?!
>>
>>64140055
lol you only say that because he took a glorious and well explained shit all over your garbage music!

i looked at all the music i established as something I love that he reviewed, and he loved all of them <3
>sucks to suck bro
>>
>>64139443
>You can't be objective about music.
Plebeians actually believe this.
>>
His two best AOTYSF are Weezer and David Bowie. Take that as you will, its been a weird year for him, wondering if he's losing it myself.
>>
>>64140094
are you stating that he doesn't explain why he personally doesn't like/dislike an album?
>>
>>64140110
*woosh*
>>
>>64138124
Contrarian is such a meme word lol.
>>
>>64138167
I cant wait for him to review Pulse Demon in a classics week
>>
People complain about Fantano, but I hardly hear anyone here make any insightful criticisms about music or delve deeply into what is wrong with his reviews. If you have your own music review channel, I'll give it a listen, so put your money where your mouth is.
>>
>>64139696
Ghost are amazing, fuck you.
>>
>>64140355
>make any insightful criticisms
I agree that the level of insightful criticism in general on /mu/ also sucks, but it is false equivalency. My post is not a fucking youtube channel, and I am not getting paid for it.

You don't have to be a film director to have an opinion about whether or a film is good. I don't have to know how to play guitar to judge whether I like a guitar solo. And I can damn well judge whether or not I like a youtube channel regardless of whether or not I have my own.
>>
>>64140355
>what is wrong with his reviews
>Icy synths
>Emotive melodies
>Very layered
>Vocals on this song are amazing! / Weak vocals on this song
>Weird chord progressions
>Very exprimental
>Heavy, Thick...

Buzzwords after buzzwords :s . . .
>
>
>>
>>64140600
Forgot

>Great production
>Very textured
>>
>>64140355
With all do respect several posts address very specifically what is lacking with his reviews eg >>64139114, if you have an argument against these points we'd love to hear it.
>>
>>64140147
He doesn't explain why. Why is the beginning of Black Quarterback "too chaotic"? It sounds about as chaotic as the rest of Death Grip's entire discography but for some reason this moment gets singled out as a negative quality. Seems completely fucking arbitrary.

>well how would he do it better
I can think of very few examples of where I see music criticism actually done well. Maybe the best reviews just gush about stuff you think is cool, like this https://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/sunn-o-00-void
>>
>>64140169
lelno
just try and loosen the tension on your butthole m8 :^)
>>
>>64140771
dude, he hasn't reviewed the album in the pic
so the point is there is no way to rightfully criticise him
try being less serious kiddo
>>
>>64140600
>>64140734
you guys complain about lack of depth as if when you listen to music you're aware of what's happening on some deep clairvoyant level.
Also those are called adjectives, not buzzwords.
>lel
>>
>>64140843
>projecting as hard as possible :^)
>>
>>64140734
Again, I'm not a fucking music critic, so whether or not I'm as insightful as Fantano is completely fucking irrelevant.

I agree, they are adjectives not buzzwords. The most entry level, idiotic reviews consist of adjectives. "The screenplay was [adjective]. The plot development was [modifier] [adjective]." And so on. Does that sort of thing really constitute good criticism to you?
>>
>>64141007
meant to quote >>64140894
>>
>>64140894
>you guys complain about lack of depth as if when you listen to music you're aware of what's happening on some deep clairvoyant level.
>You are not?
>Also those are called adjectives, not >buzzwords: an important-sounding usually technical word or phrase often of little meaning used chiefly to impress laymen.
His reviews are the equilavent of describing someone's singing as ''beautiful'', which in a music critique sense is utterly useless.
>>
>>64141007
what is your idea of a deeper, more intelligible level of description then my nigga
>>
>>64141088
also read
>>64141100
i'm not sure what you guys want from a man describing an album.
like fuck i've read album reviews, even "professional" album reviews and they aren't special either.
It seems like you guys are expecting something extraordinary for no apparent reason.
>>
>>64140115
Excuse me? I wasn't giving a "belief". I stated a fact.
>>
>>64141156
Well, it might be the case that musical criticism just sucks and is useless. That would be an okay opinion for someone to have.

But anyway I already posted an example of a review I thought was good: >>64140734
>>
>>64141344
>>64141156
>This is Black Sabbath with Bill Ward replaced by a 1937 Gloster Gladiator biplane fighter
>Its shamanic appeal is considerably enlivened by the sub-bass disfigurations caused to all bowels in the immediate proximity, whilst the lead guitar clings to your torso like a butter knife spreading Philly Lite first on a piece of toast, then on the bread board, then across the counter over the fridge and up the walls into adjacent rooms, You can imagine Damo Suzuki or Iggy swaggering around the stage to this backing, approaching the mike impossibly slowly and ghostlike, only to at-the-very-last-moment think "Forget about it" before swaying off to feel up the arses of the eyes-shut-tight purveyors of this mighty sound.

What I find extraordinary about Cope's music journalism is that he actually teaches me how to enjoy music I otherwise would not. He hears Sunn0))) as a silly and exuberant super exaggeration of Black Sabbath, rather than as a pretentious art project.

Beyond that, in terms of his command of language, his vastly more entertaining than someone like Fantano. Call it the Hunter S Thompson factor I guess.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.