[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you boners think of this list? I know how you like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: sdsrgs.jpg (211 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
sdsrgs.jpg
211 KB, 1024x1024
What do you boners think of this list?

I know how you like to shit on lists like these so have at it if you dare,

http://whatculture.com/music/15-best-albums-of-the-decade-so-far
>>
To Pimp A Butterfly needs to number 1
>>
>War on Drugs #15

holy fuck abort
>>
>Kamasi Washington "the ebin" at number 1
>Run the Jewels at #9
>TPAB at #2
I like Run the Jewels but they arent doing anything that hasnt been done before really just wiht more critical acclaim. Also TPAB is a great album but a lot of the praise its gotten is due to it dropping during all the black lives matter and police shooting stuff. "The Epic" at #1 is just a fucking travesty and discredits any and all of the authors opinions
>>
At least there's no Foo Fighters or shite like that, but it's still a bad list.
>>
The Epic is great but definitely not the best album of the decade. It's not even the best album of 2015.
TPAB is too easy. I feel like it should be a bit lower.
RTJ2 was okay at best. 6/10 for me. Nowhere near even top 20 of the decade.

This list overall is pretty bad.
>>
File: immunityart.jpg (119 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
immunityart.jpg
119 KB, 1280x720
>>64137871
Brace for an analysis of the whole list. 1/3.

>Lost In The Dream
It's ok, has some decent songs and honestly fantastic drumming, but a bit too Dire Straits for me overall.
>Immunity
It's my AOTY for 2013. I love that this album is getting widespread praise now since it's got some great pusling microhouse, and the post-rock-cum-ambient-cum-still-sorta-electronic parts are top notch too.
>The Powers That B
Interesting choice. If it were just Jenny Death, I'd be tempted to agree, but just barely. If I had to include a DG album, I'd have to pick The Money Store since it's their most consistent and captured that early 2010s angry internet kids zeitgeist perfectly.
>Age of Adz
You know, I love this album, but I'd never include it on a list like this. Thinking about it, it's honestly earned its spot though. Great arrangements and melding of digital and acoustic instrumentation, plus it was vulnerable, emotional Sufjan without going a bit too far with it like on Carrie and Lowell.
>Syro
Eh. It's a decent LP, but not best of the decade material. Some great cuts (like the first track honestly, I loved it when I first heard it and it had me hyped for the album) but some filler too, which disappointed me since Ricky D had over 10 years and probably hundreds of tracks to choose from to make this LP.
>>
run the jewels on a best albums of the decade list fucking kek and wtf is grizzly bear doing there among all the "not for plebs" albums
>>
File: skellington waifu.jpg (35 KB, 630x386) Image search: [Google]
skellington waifu.jpg
35 KB, 630x386
>>64138760
>Lonerism
Not a bad LP by any means but also not best of the decade material either. Innerspeaker beats it by a hair, too. Again, great percussion though, almost reminiscent of the DJ Shadow-inspired drums on OK Computer which gives the album a weird timeless quality: 1970s style, 1990s rhythm and 2010s production.
>RTJ2
RTJ1 is better, but eh, I'll allow it. Most of the tracks on here are unironically bangin, and the only moment that really falls flat is the Gangsta Boo feature. Not a bad choice, even if it doesn't have Sea Legs.
>Let England Shake
I don't really know this one well, but I can't really fault its position from what I've heard. It's one of those "culmination of a 20 year career" moments. Also reminds me that I need to listen to PJ's new album.
>The Idler Wheel
I can't express my love for this album more. My 2012 AOTY and sorely missed on most lists of this sort. If this was the kind of pop these publications tended to circlejerk over, I'd call myself a poptimist. Phenomenal lyrics and delivery from Fiona and some really jazzy rhythms that progress wonderfully from her 90s stuff.
>You're Dead
I'd put Cosmogramma here instead, but You're Dead is solid. Never Catch Me is Kenny Death at his best, though to be fair the rest is a blur for me. Not so with Cosmogramma but it might be apples to oranges at this point. Ultimately there are a number of better picks.
>>
File: jb st.jpg (32 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
jb st.jpg
32 KB, 600x600
>>64138801
>Exai
I did not see this coming. I wouldn't call it their best, but it's a wonderful choice for a list like this. Great example of the absurdly detailed production Autechre are known for.
>Shields
Another one that came out of nowhere for this list. Great LP, contender for their best, though I definitely prefer Yellow House. I think /mu/ was disappointed in Shields, but I thought it was a step up from Veckatimest and included more of the somewhat unsettling elements that were on Yellow House instead of being straight baroque pop. Good choice.
>Black Messiah
You know, I actually haven't listened to this one. For all I know it could be a forward-thinking soulful masterpiece, or it could be a "relevance" circlejerk. I might find out eventually, or I might not.
>To Pimp A Butterfly
No. Most overrated album of the decade by a mile. Kendrick's delivery is poor, the jazz elements are half-baked and the lyrics are pure pretension, with none of the meaning everyone seems to have ascribed to them. You can never seem to escape it on these kinds of lists.
>The Epic
I was certain I was gonna see MBDTF here (which I honestly wouldn't have been opposed to, I think it deserves its praise). Pretty much all of the author's credibility disappears by putting it at number one; it's music for people who want to seem cool by liking "classy" jazz, without any actual knowledge of the genre.

Overall, it's a mediocre list, but pretty typical for something you'd find on reddit or RYM or from a Pitchfork editor. Some neat picks but they're still all pretty safe, and it's lacking some essential choices too (pic related, MBDTF and either of the most recent Swans albums, to just barely scrape the surface of potential choices). At least it didn't include Grimes though, the one thing I can commend the list for is for not being wholly poptimistic.
>>
Fiona Apple's spot is well deserved, but only a few others are very good
>>
>>64137963
I don't get it. It's decent, I'm not saying it isn't, but it isn't on the level that gkmc is.
>>
This isn't complete.
Where the fuck is the suburbs
>>
Pleasantly surprised with Autechre, Fiona Apple, Flying Lotus, and the best Suffy album being here but lol at RTJ, Tame Impala, and the fucking War on Drugs.
>>
>>64138760
>>64138801
>>64138905
Just out of curiosity, what would your list look like?
>>
>>64139229
I was shocked to see Age of Adz on there. These kind of lists on these kinds of sites usually cater to the least common denominator so it was nice to actually see some interesting picks.
>>
channel orange, modern vampires of the city, mbdtf are all missing

also gkmc is better than tpab
>>
>>64139009
In the trash where it belongs
>>
Every album there sucks except Lost in the Dream, Exai, and Age of Adz. Even then I wouldn't put any of those on a best of the decade list.

The Epic, RTJ2, and TPAB are all embarrassingly bad choices.

>>64138009
That's one of the only good albums on there though. It may not be best of the decade but it's certainly better than what follows it on the list.
>>
>>64137871
>tpab at 2
>mbdtf isnt even on the list
fuck this lol
>>
>>
>>64137871
I fucking knew it
a soon as I saw that flotus had a spot
I new kill whitey would be there
what a horribly half-arsed list
>>
>>64140616
eh, alright to good list of albums, but i can only see like maybe three albums that would be in consideration for best of the decade on that list
>>
>>64137871

15 best ANGLO albums of the decade so far

you are not the center of the world
>>
>>64138760
>>64139480
idk what to think about Age of Adz. For me it's one of those albums where I love it to bits every time I listen to it, and it's definitely my favorite Sufjan album, but I never really feel a strong desire to listen to it. Like, I always kind of have to force myself to put it on but once it is I'm in heaven.

Same with Agaetis Byrjun and Harmony In Ultraviolet. Maybe it's just how long and dense they are.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.