[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chelsea Wolfe: meme music for edgy autistics or actually decent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
Chelsea Wolfe: meme music for edgy autistics or actually decent?
>>
one or the other or somewhere in between, mostly depending on which album you're asking about
>>
literally evanescence
>>
Bit rubbish then, skip a show? Just checking out a festival lineup.
>>
>>64133648
But that's black metal anon...
>>
decent, but I don't like her visual style
>>
naff rubbish, lad
>>
>>64133648
Yeah, she's pretty much the art-school version of Evanescence
>>
She's touring with Converge atm
>>
>>64134819
so you mean better
>>
>>64133648
>>64134819
She didn't even get compared to Evanescence before her last album. Stop memeing.
>>
pretty good, i mostly listen to neofolk and industrial/industrial influenced stuff and i think she's alright, nothing groundbreaking though
>>
>>64136050
This desu.

She's alright to listen to, but I wouldn't think of her as particularly experimental, more like decent singer-songwriter folksy stuff wrapped in goth aesthetic.
>>
I liked Apokalypsis a lot. It's a solid album with the greatest album cover of all time.
>>
Ye
>>
Out of all her work Apokalypsys definitely stands out the most.

Sure Chelsea might not be the best guitar player around when it comes to technique, and as always, vocals are a matter of taste, but it's undeniable that Apokalypsys does one thing amazingly well - atmosphere. It's hauntingly beautiful, and it's creepy yet not edgy at all.

Rest of her stuff is pretty good as well, but nothing really comes close to Apokalypsys in terms of atmosphere and consistency.

And yeah, don't mind the Evanescence maymay... As someone pointed out above, it started with Abyss which is still a solid album, but not as memorable as her previous stuff... especially not when pitted against Apokalypsys to which everything she releases now is gonna be compared (and I doubt she's gonna be able to ever top it).
>>
>>64138435
I actually like her earlier material more than Apokalypsys itself, despite the fact that I think that album is the best representation of her own style.
>>
Definitely not meme music. I love Apokalypsys which has amazing tracks like Mer, Tracks and Pale on Pale (can't decide which of the three is my favorite)
>>
Has anyone listened to the Abyss demos that were on Hypnos/Flame?

I liked those better than the studio versions.
>>
People liked her until it became a meme to call her evanescence. She's a great musician. Completely unfair to meme her under the rug. Abyss is weak, but everything else shes released is pretty damn good.
>>
>>64138435
Pain Is Beauty is her best, come on.
>>
>>64139877
i do miss when /mu/ loved chelsea wolfe but i feel like in a lot of ways the response to Abyss was kinda justified
i mean, the whole "literally just evanescence for hipsters" meme got way out of hand but in the case of Abyss it's actually quite apposite

Pain is Beauty is still my AOTY 2013 tho
>>
>>64140040
That's like saying Death Grips is just Lil Wayne for hipsters, kind of a bad genre to compare with but whatever. Abyss is clearly very very far removed from the easily digestible pop music that is Evanescence.
>>
>>64140176
>Abyss is clearly very very far removed from the easily digestible pop music that is Evanescence.
it's not though
with the exception of like, two or three songs, all of the songs on the album follow the basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure, are lyrically simplistic and heavily reliant on repetition
they are pop songs
>>
Chelsea Wolfe is corny, vapid dogshit of the highest order and seeing disphit indie kids who would have laughed at you for saying that you like Bauhaus or The Sisters Of Mercy sing praise of her now that the lame goth revival trend is in full swing is hilarious.
>>
>>64140428
I think that Abyss was her way of reaching for mainstream appeal, what with the clean production and all.
>>
>>64140504

where is this revival happening
>>
I really liked the last album honestly. It was like Have a nice life meets neo-folk. And her shows are always a pleasure to see
>>
i want to like her but her albums are mediocre, if she dropped the ambient noodling and went more industrial i would like her a lot more. Her albums have a few great moments/tracks, but have too much ambient filler that does not add anything interesting, imo.
>>
>>64142899
What do you think of Unknown Rooms?
>>
>>64140176

I started this meme out of honesty, thank you very much. Lyrically near identical.

Abyss - Fallen

when I move it pulls me closer - I’m going under
when I swim it drags me under - drowning in you
when I dream it steals my wonder - I’m falling for ever
then sets me free from my slumber - I’ve got to break through

the veins under my skin - I’m pouring crimson regret and betrayal
moving, changing from blue to red - Im dying, praying
those colors battle to repent - bleeding and screaming
fighting some kind of punishment - am I too lost to be saved?

this barren place - you pray your dreams will leave you here
we call our home - but still you wake
dreams of endless landscapes - and no the truth
morphing, in love - no one is there

I can’t keep you off my mind - I wish the you would just leave
dancing, moving, passing time - cause your presence still lingers here
lost worlds endless nights - and it won’t leave me alone

how many years have i been sleeping? - swallowed up in the sound of my screaming
nobody ever said I was alive - cannot cease for the fear of silent nights
why does everything feel so unnamed - oh, how I long for the deep sleep dreaming
>>
Shit's good background music. I feel like a lot of mu approved shit is background music.
>>
>>64143852
Good lordy those are some shit lyrics.
>>
>>64144182
Yeah i think that too but her fans say it's supposed to be audible depression...

excuses excuses.
>>
>>64134507
Chelsea Wolfe is great, but I think she's a pretty weak live act. Just listen to her albums and skip the live show IMO.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.