[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FEED MY EYES CAN YOU SEW THEM SHUT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: Man In The Box AIC (1990).jpg (84 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Man In The Box AIC (1990).jpg
84 KB, 1280x720
FEED MY EYES

CAN YOU SEW THEM SHUT
>>
I still remember the day Layne Staley died like it was yesterday. Me and my friend Paul were making fun of the spanish kids with velcro shoes in 7th grade shop class and next thing I know the loudspeaker goes off and has the guidance counselor on ittelling me to report to the office, I go in and my uncle Darrell who I havent seen since I was a toddler was standing there with this look of emptiness and shit. "Get in the car dude," he said and I am thinking the worst has happened. Well I ask what was wrong and he just looked at me and said, "Layne OD’d," and I asked him who the fuck that was. He took out a cassette and popped it in the tape deck, cranked the volume up, and passed me a joint even though he knew I never smoked before. We took off and Alice in Chains – The Rooster played all the way thru, we were both stoned silent the whole time and my mind was completelyblown. "That singer is dead now man," and from there on out I have just had this insane outlook on life.
>>
Oh hey look it's a band I actually recognise on /mu/
>>
>>64130530

GLYCERIN
>>
IF
I
WOULD
COULD
YOU?
>>
Jerry is a god-level guitarist, too bad their lyrics and Layne's voice are just...no.
>>
File: Xgau AIC.png (54 KB, 1559x397) Image search: [Google]
Xgau AIC.png
54 KB, 1559x397
>>
>>64130832
>Xgau
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>64130530
JAAAAAAYEEEEYYYEEEEEEUUUUUUUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST
>>
>>64130585
is this nigger 40 and he's not paid attention to music since the Clinton years
>>
>>64130656
Wow man good job showing that you know nothing about playing guitar or singing.
>>
"We turned down Guns'N'Roses, that would have been a big waste of time. As expected, there's lots of people coming out now and riding on the alternative bandwagon. I don't know about Soundgarden, we've hung out with them and they seem like great guys, but then you have other bands like Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains that are obvious corporate puppets. Many of these guys were involved in the hairspray/cockrock scene for years and now quit washing their hair, fly up to Seattle from Los Angeles, get a record deal, and act as if they've lived here their entire life. It's incredibly offensive to me."

-- Kurt Cobain
>>
>>64131095
no, I just don't listen to all the obscure shit that gets posted here
>>
>>64131292
I have a soft spot for Nirvana, but fuck Kurt for implying that they were better than Alice in Chains.
>>
File: 1443572502523.jpg (61 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1443572502523.jpg
61 KB, 431x450
>>64130985
>unironically saying Xgau
>>
>>64131315
Actually Jerry Cantrell, Stone Gossard, and Mike McCready did used to be in hair metal groups. Eddie Vedder was surfing in SoCal when Soundgarden released Louder Than Love. So you see why Cobain thought they were scam artists.
>>
File: feelsoldman.png (111 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
feelsoldman.png
111 KB, 399x388
>>64131095
right in the feels
>>
File: wat.jpg (22 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
22 KB, 500x285
>>64130656
>their lyrics and Layne's voice are just...no.
>>
>>64131292
>Implying that heroin monkey's opinion matters
>>
>>64131429
All it takes to be old on /mu/ is to be over 20. You shouldn't be offended that literal children see you as old.

>>64131425
Kurt was on MTV, he is just as much of a corporate sellout as any of them. So what if they were in hair metal bands, made them better musicians. Dave Grohl is the only impressive musician in Nirvana.
>>
>>64130551
It's been a while since I've seen this pasta
>>
File: vid21.jpg (54 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
vid21.jpg
54 KB, 630x420
BLACK HOLE SUN
WON'T YOU COME
>>
File: bennett 2matrix.jpg (62 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
bennett 2matrix.jpg
62 KB, 512x288
>>64131571
>being offended
>by literal chillblains
>>
>>64131425
>>64131292
>1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7afdfBHj4

>1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc

See what Kurt was talking about when he meant artists who used to make bubblegum music and then were told by a record label to pick up a guitar and act all angsty.
>>
>>64133607
I don't see why that's a problem though. It's definitely an improvement, at least musically.
>>
>1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-wiHqEgq8o

>1992

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAG8PTIm37Y

:^)
>>
Nuts to Kurt anyway, AIC's videos were playing on MTV over a year before Nevermind.
>>
>>64133955
So I don't get where this notion comes from that Pantera used to be a bubblegum hairspray band like Poison pre-1990. I mean, they look like GNR there and sound like Megadeth. Their original frontman's voice is awful though, that I can do without.
>>
>>64134174
GNR sux, how'd they ever get so big anyway.
>>
>>64134314
Sweet Child O Mine
Welcome to the Jungle
Paradise City
>>
>>64133955
Pantera are so terrible. The only people who like them are the racist confedaboos on /metal/ who wish they were impoverished heroine addicts.
>>
>>64134314
Hard rock that was actually realistic and relatable instead of metal's escapist fantasies.
>>
>>64131292
>dude who released Nevermind complaining corporate puppets
>>
"I really enjoyed Appetite For Destruction back then. It had an honesty to it that was missing from the rock scene at the time. Welcome To The Jungle was kind of Satisfaction re-imagined for the 80s."

-- Gene Simmons
>>
>>64134512
>dude who chose to take his own life rather than become a sellout
>>
>>64134770
Nevermind was already out before that point though
>>
Actually Kurt's dislike of Nevermind is well known because it sounded too slick and commercial. In Utero is a much rawer and less commercial record and more of the sound he was going for.

In that regard it's not so different from Ten which is a lot more commercial than Pearl Jam's later albums. Neither band had the money or creative control in the beginning to get the sound they wanted, so their debut efforts sounded like overly glossy arena rock.
>>
>>64134618
He's not incorrect, although...

>Gene Simmons of all people
>talking shit about gimmicky, fake rock groups
>>
>>64130551
what is this from
>>
>giving a shit about old dead smelly junkies

Shig.
>>
>>64134431
Go back to Tumblr, buddy boy.
>>
>>64131292
I have a lot of respect for Kurt or whatever, but his POV here annoys me. Half the members of Pearl Jam were involved in the Seattle punk/"grunge" scene since like 1985. I still don't understand people who think you have to be super underground to have artistic merit and everything commercial is pure shit.
>>
>>64137020
I guess he didn't like that they didn't have an early career on an indie label before going major label.
>>
>>64134431
Walk on home, boy.
>>
>>64134494
>>64134174
Pantera actually did do just that, they fused metal with alternative-style lyrics and after CFH didn't do any sci-fi/fantasy-themed songs, it was all 100% realism.
>>
If anything, the alternative explosion was what allowed a lot of bands to play the music they really wanted to play instead of what they had to play to get airtime. As Paul Stanley said, "I've always been ok with including ballads on Kiss records. In the late 80s, pretty much the only way a rock group could get on the radio was with a power ballad."

Of course a lot of bands like Poison failed pretty embarrassingly when they went alternative because they didn't necessarily have the songwriting skills to pull it off.
>>
>>64131292
>but then you have other bands like Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains that are obvious corporate puppets

lmao was this guy avin a laff
>>
Staley > Cornell > Vedder > Cobain

Agreed?
>>
>>64140078
>Vedder > Cobain
actually genuinely leave the board, forever
>>
>>64130530
Wasn't this a song about the meat industry?
>>
>>64130530
Nice try OP, but we all know this one. It's

>FAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEEYYYYYYAAAIEYAIEYAIEAYD MAAAAAAAHYYYYYYYY AAAAAHHHYYYYYYYYYYES
>>
>>64140139
>Cobain isn't by far the worst vocalist
>>
>>64140078
Disagree with everything. Cornell before Staley? You only say that because he died. If Cornell died then he'd be hailed as a god.
>>
>>64140215
you're still here. can't you read?
>>
>>64140244
Cobain is a shitty singer, a shitty guitarist and a shitty songwriter. Fuck off.
>>
>>64134431
give me 5 minutes alone with this fella
>>
>>64140272
Not that guy. You can argue the first two, but his vocal and guitar styles that were intentionally "shitty" are what made the third one (his songwriting) so unique and so great.
>>
>tour along with Megadeth and Slayer
>get jeers and boos from mealfags
>Layne literally jumped into the audience and punched out hecklers

Raw.
>>
>>64144287
Why are mealfags so autistic?
>>
>>64144505
I know, especially because AIC's sound was much more like metal than Nirvana's was. Listen to We Die Young, that shit's as metal as it gets.
>>
>>64135040
in the 90's you had to make your Doolittle before you could make your Surfer Rosa
>>
>>64142959
Eddie's vocal style certainly USED to be unique
>>
>>64130530
IF

I

COULD

WOULD

YOU?
>>
>>64135040
"They made us sound like fucking Motley Crue!"
>>
>>64131292
muh cultural appropriation :c
>>
>>64135040
Ten even more so because of how Rick Parashar made them redo Even Flow 70 (!) times and in the end, they still weren't satisfied with how it came out.

The remastered Ten removed most of the bad stadium rock sound from the album (echo/reverb everywhere) and is closer to how the band intended.
>>
I never liked Pearl Jam besides Even Flow, but my auntie told me their B-sides were better and holy shit she was right
>>
>>64144940
You should read about Ron Thelin closing his Psychedelic Shop in Haight-Ashbury and burning a pile of love beads in disgust with the bandwagoners who'd taken over the hippie movement.
>>
>>64131061
>deny your maker
HAAAAAAAYYAAAYAAYYAAYY WHO TRAYAYAYAYAYAAS
>>
IIIIIIIII CAN STEAL YOUR HEAAAAAART FROM YOUR NEEEEEEEEECK!
>>
>>64145017
Nothing more charming than a man that complains when the wrong people give him money
>>
>>64145017
As Xgau also noted, Jefferson Airplane were hippies back when it actually meant something.
>>
>>64144961
David Lee Roth famously insisted during the recording of the first two Van Halen albums that they do no more than two takes because "If you need more than two takes, you can't play that song."
>>
>>64144983
Some artists are just singles-oriented and their B-sides are pure filler (think RHCP). Some have good B-sides but not singles and some have both.
>>
>>64145344
I have to say, I did listen to Van Halen II recently and the two best tracks on there (DOA and Light Up The Sky) are B-sides. The singles are kinda weak and Dance The Night Away (the most commercial track on the album) is extremely annoying.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.