[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NWA ruined the image of hip hop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
Does anyone think NWA is over rated?

NWA is a group that is responsible for taking the poetry out of hip hop and making black on black violence a common theme in rap music.

They claim to have created gangster rap or to be the fathers of gangster rap but Schooly D did it 10 years earlier.
>>
Ruined what when? HH is ruin.
>>
>>64127310
Back to the K pop thread.

You are the kind of person who would say names like

'kanye' '50 cent' and 'eminem' straight from the top of your head when asked to list rappers.
>>
NWA trolled everyone so hard. They exploited and essentially created a concept that the public had, and largely still has, about black people. All they had to do was write about stuff that scared uptight people, mostly white, and then sit back and wait for the checks to roll in.
>>
>>64127342
Breh, I listen too all le underground classics
Madvillain, El-P, the list could go on. . .
>>
>>64127358
Why is ice cube always saying "We are just talking about our reality through music"

Cunt, you know the shit in your music is made up stop lying.

Their early music before they were commercial successful was pretty good though.
>>
File: 1409793844603.jpg (48 KB, 239x239) Image search: [Google]
1409793844603.jpg
48 KB, 239x239
>>64127422

>no musician has ever lied for publicity ever

hurrr durrr
>>
>>64127440

People who knew him before he was famous said he got beat up a lot in high school.

He was a university student not a gangster..
>>
>>64127466

Which proves my point
>>
>>64127477
Honestly though I think they were pressured in to doing the whole gangster thing from a record company.

This is their music before making it big.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT9O-pUGsVM
>>
>hip hop starts to give young blacks an escape from gangs
>gets overtaken by niggas glamourising gang culture
>>
>>64127693
Exactly.
>>
>>64127693
40kek. Niggas may cuck people, but the future has cucked them for all of civilization.
>>
Guy who knew them before NWA had mainstream suggest talking about how the NWA movie isn't Authentic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFdK31kt9aw
>>
You're really stupid if you think anything but the gangsta period/wave/whatever started the (terrible) idea of rap as poetry.
>>
>NWA ruined hip hop with gangsta rap
>Schooly D created gangsta rap

Maybe you're blaming the wrong person.
>>
>>64128059
Considering rap, in part, originated from jazz poetry from the likes of Gil Scott Heron and the Last Poets, I would say that you are a colossal retard
>>
>>64128059
Ummm.. the idea was around in the early 70s.
>>
>>64128147
Not really, it has much more to do with Jamaican MC'ing than jazz poetry.
>>
>>64128147
>>64128174
''rap poetry'' started centuries ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyting
>>
NWA is definitely overrated. Only had a few listenable songs and never lived up to the sum of it's parts.
>>
>>64128174
>>64128221
When we talk of rap we talk of it in the context of hip hop culture. Whatever Flyting used to be, or jazz-poetry, or any other form of oral poetry/verse that existed throughout the history might have had influence of the development of rap - but rap as it existed in hip hop music/culture, prior to the rise of gangsta rap, was mostly a component of dance music. Maybe a form of competition as well (when did rap battles become popular?).
The idea of using rap, as it existed in hip hop, to express struggle is what eventually created the idea of rap as poetry and not a musical component (or if you'd like - brought the poetry that rap lost along the way back to it).
>>
>>64128752
Where do you get these retarded ideas from?

Explain Grandmaster flash?
>>
>>64127422
It's called k-fab, look it up
>>
>>64128752
In the context of hip hop, rapping, or as it was known in the early days MC'ing came directly from Jamaican toasting, as did the hip hop style music of street parties, it all came from Jamaica since Kool Herc was a DJ there before moving to The Bronx.

About the only thing that seperates Jamaican sound systems to hip hop was location and Herc accidentally inventing breakbeats.
>>
>>64128800
>Scandinavia is the flexible and manufacturing Swedish importer with a wide assortment of both modern and classic lighting.
>>
>>64127693
Still better than the uppity rich ones from the early 2000s
>>
>>64127277
Probably. I once heard a guy talk about how Hip Hop was about educating people before NWA came around, and that seems to be true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaoLy7PHwk
>>
>>64128831
What are break beats?
>>
>>64128894
pls be bait
>>
>>64128977
Just tell me.
>>
>>64128991
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakbeat#History
>>
Honestly though, listen to this.. He talks about how they are not gang bangers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFdK31kt9aw
>>
>>64128786
Grandmaster flash's lyrics had themes of struggle and whatever in them, true, but it was still essentially dance music. The rapping is far from being truely complicated or "poetic".

>>64128831
First of all, I did not know about Herc and the breakbeats, that's cool.
Anyways - yea, you're right but it doesn't change what I was trying to say - jamaican toasting is a party tradition, a component of party music, not quite poetry. Forms of "rapped" poetry might have existed before gangsta rap (or rather, rap that was influenced by gangsta rap), but the actual, hip hop-rap was not like them.
>>
>>64129236
>I did not know about herc

Than what the fuck are you doing even talking about the history of hip hop..

My god.
>>
File: 1447368644792.png (347 KB, 891x833) Image search: [Google]
1447368644792.png
347 KB, 891x833
>>64128991
>>64129236
Ignore the shit all over it, thats just how it was in rbt archive
>>
Its cool to have a real hip hop discussion here without people talking about eminem and kanye west every third post.
>>
>>64129296
>cutting my sentence in its middle
It's not like I haven't heard the name, I didn't know he was the one who invented breakbeats. If you think what I claim about rap is false just state the true facts, why are you being all childish, trying to pick up a fight.
>>
>>64128093
NWA popularized it.
Still I disagree with OP. It's good to have variety.
>>
>>64129472
So in other words you know nothing about hip hop history.

That is basic knowledge.
>>
>>64128845
it's called
>kayfabe
look it up
>>
>>64129511
Okay fuck off.
>>
>>64127277
>Does anyone think NWA is over rated?
The most over-rated next to Tupac.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.