[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will you normies accept that a love supreme is the greatest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 600x600
When will you normies accept that a love supreme is the greatest jazz album of all time?
>>
>>64127247
>pretending it isn't the normie jazz album of choice
>>
>several years ago
>working in a restaurant
>normie coworker tells me he's "into music"
>talk about music for a while
>ask if he's into jazz
>"I've never really listened to jazz except for a love supreme but it's AMAZING"
>>
>>64127255
>What's kind of blue
>>
>>64127247
It's certainly my favorite, but it's really not very eclectic, anon.

His Ascension album, on the other hand...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgrQhBTDfhk
>>
my favorite jazz album of all time, but not exactly an obscure pick
>>
>>64127611
Honestly most of my favourite albums are among the most popular/respected in their genre. There's no shame in it for me but I think most people assume that you've never really dug much below the surface.
>>
I prefer Kulu Se Mama for Coltrane

But Alice Coltrane, Don Cherry, Pharaoh Sanders, amd Roy Meriwether all made way better transcendent albums
>>
Fuck you all, your all NORMIESSSSSSSS
>>
>>64127885
>pharoah sanders
That dude is a fucking joke lmao
>>
I prefer his recordings from 65 and forward.
>>
>>64128065
>the guy who is all over Coltrane's work after A Love Supreme is a joke

Villiage of the Pharaohs is better than anything Coltrane ever did anyway
>>
>>64128065
you have fucking shit taste, kill yourself

I'm sorry pharaoh can't live up to derivative, unoriginal post rock acts like Godmeme and Swans
>>
>>64128116
I seriously cannot stand his compositions. The fucking yodelling bullshit on Karma drove me up the wall. And the attempt to sound "woah dude so mystical and cultural and sheeit" with those dumbass extra percussion instruments? Fuck right off.
When he's working with Trane he's way better though

>>64128121
Terrible bait btw
>>
>>64128149
>yodeling bullshit
>additional percussion

So you just hate African music

Absolutely pleb beyond compare
>>
>>64128431
I like my african music not to sound like an autist yelling over a knockoff of a recently made and popular album, thank you
>>
>thinking one of the most popular jazz albums of all time isn't popular with normies
>>
>>64128459
If you think Karma sounds similar to A Love Supreme, you don't know much about jazz
>>
File: 1460700786770.jpg (25 KB, 338x250) Image search: [Google]
1460700786770.jpg
25 KB, 338x250
>>64128459
?
>>
>>64128479

if you don't hear the influence of A Love Supreme on Karma, you don't know much about jazz either
>>
>>64128479
>extremely similar bassline
>based off one single unifying concept
>person on vocals chants the song title/album title

Yeah they're extremely fucking similar alright

>>64128496
?
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 400x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 400x396
>>64127247
>implying this isn't
>>
>>64128513
Of course the influence is there but to call it a copycat is just stupid

And limiting Sanders to "i hate Karma" is fucking stupid since he had a ridiculous career taking on all kinds of sounds

>>64128514
I can reduce things too

But i don't recall there being wave after wave of sonic mass crashing in Supreme
>>
>>64128595
I dislike his solo work, especially the early parts of it. His work with Coltrane is much better IMO.

>what is psalm
>>
>>64128514
Go away pimple faced gook
>>
>>64128711 (You)
>>
>>64128745
Spiderland
>>
>>64129069
Is the greatest album of all time. I know right?
>>
>>64129093
Yeah, I guess.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.