[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home recording thread:Determined to make music this summer. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: A1UGvlb.jpg (131 KB, 640x625) Image search: [Google]
A1UGvlb.jpg
131 KB, 640x625
I've procrastinated for years. Just want to do it for myself. What else do I need to get? Best guides to learning about recording online?

Stuff I have:
Taylor 314
Schecter Tempest Custom
A Venezuelan Cuatro
Traynor YCV40 amp
Scarlett 18i6
Sennheiser HD380 headphones
A bunch of guitar pedals
Casio CDP-120(can I use this as MIDI? Couldn't figure it out last I tried to hook it up)

DAW:
Reaper

VST's:
EZDrummer 2 + some expansions
Bunch of Freeware
Virtual Amp Room

Stuff I'm considering or need to get:
>Condenser mic. Thinking of a KSM27. I'm part of the mass comm program at my school, and I've used the AT4040 as well, but I liked the KSM27 a bit more, especially because of the way the shockmount worked
>Midi keyboard
>Melodica

Genre: I'm still exploring and expanding. I guess a lot of what I make are instrumentals and post-rock-ish stuff, though I'm by no means incredibly skilled. I'd like to incorporate different types of soundscapes, which is where a MIDI would come in handy.

Any help? I plan on buying most physical things used. What are some decent midi boards?
>>
>>64124846
You already have everything.

As long as you have a way to make the sound and a way to pick it up, you're set. You have that. You don't need anything else. Focusing on equipment isn't going to make you any more motivated. You have plenty of stuff already and have already procrastinated for years.

Just do it already instead of yelling yourself you won't because you 'need' more stuff.
>>
>>64124876
You're definitely right. I've started recording some stuff recently on soundcloud. I'm sorta giving up on the "Hey can you listen to my stuff and give feedback?" since it doesn't really help.

I guess one thing I do need are ways to properly understand what I'm doing and make my workflow more efficient. Any good, extensive, preferably linear courses on working with DAWS, essential production stuff(compression, EQ, etc), or just handy tips for creating certain effects/soundscapes?
>>
>>64124953
I personally don't have anything. I never really followed any tutorials. I just looked shit up as needed and learned stuff on my own testing shit out in ableton. Everyone kinda learns differently
>>
>>64124971

Sorta how I work as of now. I mean, I can play stuff like EQ by ear, but I feel that something like Automation, Sends, stacking VST's together, layering, isolating,looping, etc would be better executed by getting some information
>>
>>64125112
If you haven't put out anything, that stuff is the least important shit out there. Actually finishing tracks is WAY more important. Any EQing or mastering stuff is way later when everything else is all said and done. Just worry about things one at a time, otherwise you make shit seem overwhelming.
>>
>>64125148
I've been told I make things seem overhwhelming

I'm not necessarily just talking about tweaking small parts of sound. One problem I'm having right no, is that my recordings almost feel(to me), like it's just a backing track running on loop. There's not enough going on. I was hoping messing with some different recording techniques would somewhat open up more possibilities, although I guess I should just change my compositions to begin with
>>
File: image.jpg (250 KB, 1500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250 KB, 1500x500
Made this on a shitty laptop in a girls house with the girls while tradeing cryptos! Any things possible anon

https://m.soundcloud.com/teammollymassive
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.