[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the jazz album of the decade so far? >Bonus What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
What is the jazz album of the decade so far?

>Bonus
What's the best jazz album of the previous decade?
>>
Fire! Orchestra is the Jazz album of the decade anon. Not that shitty chad-jazz.

I'm going to cringe when he plays Coachella and the crowds going to be full of drunk fratboys who've never heard a jazz album in their life.
>>
i could only heard a couple songs of that album. ffs i hate how it sounds, so over produced. does all post-2000 jazz sounds like that on record? i seriously hope not.
>>
>>64113361
>does all post-2000 jazz sounds like that on record?
No.
>>
File: Nachtfahrten_teaser_550x.jpg (35 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
Nachtfahrten_teaser_550x.jpg
35 KB, 500x450
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKrcM98Z8CI
>>
>>64113410
Comfy, thanks anon
>>
>>64113361
This. Sounds like I'm listening to the cover album of some generic hollywood film's soundtrack.
>>
>>64112482
pic related

>Bonus
4 Corners by Ken Vandermark
>>
>>64113410
This is pretty nice. Not a big jazz guy but I like this.
>>
>>64112482

I went and saw Kamasi at Webster Hall a couple months ago, front row centerstage. Dude is fucking transformative. I'm not old enough to have seen Miles or Coltrane in their heydays, but Kamasi had about 1500 of us glued for about an hour and a half, even after making us wait like... Three hours for the show.

He's definitely a presence as far as his music, but he doesn't have that sense of true showsmanship. He actually comes off a little shy. I think that will hold him back in the future, as well as the interest in Jazz being at a low right now (it might pick up more with his work on TPAB, and most of the crowd seems like they had listened to him through Kendrick) but he was still pretty amazing.
>>
>>64115319
>he doesn't have that sense of true showsmanship. He actually comes off a little shy. I think that will hold him back in the future, as well as the interest in Jazz being at a low right now
I don't think that traditional showmanship is essential to jazz. Miles Davis wasn't exactly David Lee-Roth yet he still managed to do alright.
>>
>>64115319
What other live jazz have you seen?
>>
>>64113361
Pretty much.

Even small format stuff sounds exactly like that.
>>64115319
Good jazz music is rarely played in concert halls.
>>
>>64115467

I mean, he hardly spoke a word on-stage; Mostly his father spoke for him (who was also a feature in his band). As far as showmanship, its definitely more important at this time than in the past (concerts are infinitely more important for profit as the album has given way to digital/pirated medium, and people expect a lead performer to have a certain level of charm/personality when they play). It definitely did not deter me from enjoying the music, but it might prevent him from drawing the crowds he wants. Also, he's in a music hall as opposed to a club, and so the whole thing felt a little less intimate (he kind of has to, though, because even his traveling set was ten-piece with the two drummers).

>>64115486
Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Joe Lovano, Ravi Coltrane just to name a few.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.