[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Todd Edwards?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2
File: Unknown-5.jpg (5 KB, 253x199) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-5.jpg
5 KB, 253x199
What does /mu/ think of Todd Edwards?
>>
>>64109584
Other than his house music (which is decent if you like house music), he was a pretty big stain on Daft Punk's RAM
>>
>>64109663
looool todd is far better and more influential than daft punk mate
>>
he makes enjoyable music, I like it
>>
>>64110012
>More influential than Daft Punk
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

>better
Ok there, m80
>>
>>64110074
>He thinks Todd Edwards isn't more influential than Daft Punk

Even ignoring the fact that he directly influenced Daft Punk this is still true. Todd is God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNdnhlKA_VE
>>
>>64110012
>literally "who"
>more influential than the group that brought house and dance music as a whole into the mainstream
>>
>>64110337
I don't want to respond to the bait, but I'm going to.

You are wrong.
>>
>>64110128
>christian techno
ew what the fuck
>>
>>64110074
Negro he's responsible for creating UK Garage. All Daft Punk are responsible for is filter house.
>>
>>64110529
>techno
>>
When I think of Todd Edwards, all I can imagine is pure joy.

Mention another artist that does that...
>>
literally who
>>
I loved Prima Edizione, but most of his other stuff I'm pretty indifferent towards.
>>
Let's see, Daft Punk have released at least 3 classic albums.

How many classic albums has this guy made again?
>>
>>64109584
He looks like he's having an allergic reaction
>>
>>64110128
>Artists who cite Daft Punk as a direct influence vs. artists who cite Todd Edwards as a direct influence
You're flat-out lying if you say it's Todd Edwards. Period
>>
>>64114015
Are you joking? Not only Daft Punk are directly indebted to Todd Edwards, but Todd was responsible for Garage and all of it-subgenres.

Christ, fucking Americans.
>>
>>64114749
If Daft Punk cited Edwards as their main fucking influence, it wouldn't change the fact that the influence of Daft Punk has been vastly more substantial and far-reaching.
>>
>>64109663
>Daft Punk's RAM
that whole album was one big embarrassing shitstain
>>
>>64114927
Not at all. Todd Edward's influence through Garage has permeated through everything from underground dance music to "p4kcore" electronic music for people who aren't into dance music (Burial or Jamie xx) to pop chart hits (Craig David, Disclosure, etc.) to hip-hop artists like Drake and Kanye.
>>
>>64115031
Eh, I thought it was a pretty fun album at first. But then I lost interest after a few weeks.
>>
>>64114749
>>64115108
All that shit is tenuous at best and honestly fucking meaningless in the long run. Todd Edwards has had no impact whatsoever in the grand scheme of music history. At least Daft Punk helped turn dance music into something more than just dance music and arguably influenced the most important and influential artists of our generation like LCD Soundsystem and Kanye (who I highly doubt was influenced by Todd Edwards at all btw). Albums by Daft Punk, Kanye, and LCD Soundsystem will be hailed as classics 50 years from now, whereas nobody will remember Edwards or any of the boring hipster crap and terrible Top 40 music he may have inspired.
>>
>>64115108
>Drake and Kanye
Lol. That's a pretty big stretch

So Edwards had somewhat of an influence on a certain syncopation being applied to dance music. I fail to see how that makes him more influential than Daft Punk. And the only reason why it's easier to pinpoint Edwards tangible influence is because of a hackneyed rhythm.
>>
>>64115401
His style of vocal chopping is the main thing you twat. I'm not saying Kanye and Drake put 2-step beats in their songs, but both are heavily influenced by grime and have incorporated elements of that "chopped up" style into their productions. Kanye has been known to play Burial before his shows.

None of that exists without Todd.
>>
>>64114749
>>64115108
Todd, is that you?
>>
>>64114749
>>64115108
>>64115465
Lol fuck off

the dude is a has been house producer from the 90s and that's about

Daft Punk collaborating with him is the only reason he hasn't totally faded into obscurity, so if anything he should be indebted to them.
>>
>>64115031
U fooking wot m8? Come to Sidney u cheeky cunt I swaer on me mums grave that I'll sort u out m8 I swear to Christ
>>
>>64115465
>none of that exists without Todd
>no one would have thought to chop up vocals if it wasn't for Todd
>he is the only human being with the mental capacity to invent this
Anyway, I'm not even certain that he was the first. But anyway, you're obviously just on this guy's dick, so I'm not gonna bicker with you
>>
I have noticed his recorded music is all mixed/engineered quite poorly (even by '90s standards), and a lot of his tracks sound alike, but nonetheless he still produces some enjoyable, uplifting music, and I can't get enough of cut-up sampling he uses.
>>
>>64114749
>Todd was responsible for Garage and all of it-subgenres
US Garage has existed for a decade before Todd started making music. Retard.

>>64115523
Why would a house legend be posting on 4chan?
>>
>>64115709
Exactly. Also, I'm pretty sure Burial was the one that really popularized it in terms of influence on modern electronic music as well as hip-hop. Not to mention he does it way better than Todd Edwards.
>>
>>64115582
>>64115401
>confusing popularity with influence
Daft Plebs everyone.
>>
>>64115792
Yes but Todd was the innovator of what would become the "UK Garage" genre, which was a fully fledged genre in its own right and spawned sub-genres like 2-step, dubstep, grime. etc.
>>
>>64115806
>Burial was the one that really popularized it in terms of influence on modern electronic music as well as hip-hop
What do you call this then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA1KtfCg94A
>>
>>64115806
Yeah, but the shill is going to say that Edwards was responsible for Burial, therefore Edwards>Burial.

He's the same type of faggot who says shit like "Justice is just a rip-off of Baroque-style counterpoint... no Handel -- no Justice"
>>
>>64115868
>>64115806
nvm, you were talking about vocal chopping, I thought you were talking about garage rhythms.

Anyway Burial doesn't have a single track with frantic vocal chopping. People didn't start caring about frantic vocal chopping until after that one Akufen album though.

>>64115883
>being this butthurt people with actual history knowledge are educating you
w/e, enjoy your top 40 p4ktronica dude. It's your taste not mine.
>>
>>64115883
>he's the same type of faggot who says shit like "Justice is just a rip-off of Baroque-style counterpoint... no Handel -- no Justice"
Of all the pretentious, crate-digging, record-store-working faggots, I despise these types the most.
>everything is just a ripoff of this obscure shit you've never heard
>>
>>64115883
There wouldn't have been a UK Garage sound without Todd, and Burial has recanted in interviews of being influenced by his brother's Garage records growing up in the '90s. He wouldn't be able to reproduce that sound with his own spin on it a decade later without it existing.
>>
>>64116023
>>64115883
>>64115806
>>64115709
all by me btw
>>
>>64115967
>Anyway Burial doesn't have a single track with frantic vocal chopping.
Are ye daft? The pinnacle of his sound is chopping up vocals into new fragments, which he has admitted in interviews just him trying to copy Edwards' technique.
>>
>>64115967
There it is, the musical history meme
>read a book, bro
>you just don't know music history
>>
>>64116060
*cranks up photoshop to prove you wrong*
>>
>>64116025
Fair enough; however, you're digressing from the original point of the thread. I was simply questioning how you quantify the influence and importance of an artist.
>>
>>64116066
Frantic vocal sampling you fucking retard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8uKbprFjIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7nNF0FJ3-I

Burial was more influence by Edwards' rhythms. Also it's not a case of being hipster or more infuential > better, it's a case of knowing your history and admitting your popular artist isn't as influential as you think he really is.
>>
>>64116200
todd edwards really is better than daft punk though, unlike them he actually makes cool grooves and changes his samples to sound completely different to the original source
>>
>>64116404
and yet that has amounted to very little success for him

daft punk may be "simpler" or w/e but they are WAY more successful, acclaimed, popular, and concurrently, influential
>>
>>64116438
>and yet that has amounted to very little success for him
in the mainstream? yeah he wasn't aiming for it

in the underground people were spinning his records and copying his sound and even dp themselves took his sound as a personal influence
>>
Love his music. Very obscure though but I don't consider his stuff hipster material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKt8KNUS_fE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlJyU0538tQ (Amazed this was made in like 1998.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEvIdA1muyA (Good luck finding this anywhere.)
>>
>>64116497
yeah and all that "influence" was in vain as he's pretty much more or less forgotten since then. Hardly any of the artists he directly influenced amounted to anything substantial or with longevity.
>>
>>64116637
>yeah and all that "influence" was in vain as he's pretty much more or less forgotten since then
not in the underground (and subsequently, the mainstream via the proxy of mainstream artists that took him as an influence)
>>
burial's discog is literally a poor rip-off of this groove chronicles track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVycT8k0tjM
>>
>>64116023
>>64115883
>Can aren't as popular as Radiohead who aren't as popular as Coldplay
>therefore they are obscure and shit
smfh
>>
>>64116695
both of them are literally poor rip-offs of disclosure
>>
>>64116720
Ah yes, the "Kid A is just a ripoff of Can" argument.

Do you know how the evolution of an artform works? You realize that artists don't just pull shit out of thin air, right? And could Kid A possibly, in any fucking universe, be mistaken for a fucking Can album?

I'm not the anon who's equating fame with artistic merit, so try not to misrepresent my statements.
>>
literally riding on the coattails of daft punk
>>
>>64116882
I think he was trying to tell you Can isn't obscure, but you misunderstood it.
>>
>>64117637
Nothing that is even somewhat influential to popular music can be considered "obscure".

This thread is fucking retarded, Christ.
>>
File: 1446522651632.gif (68 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
1446522651632.gif
68 KB, 500x293
>>64117680
mad
>>
>>64112155
Not even.. Filter was around before them they didn't make shit
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.