[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/industrial/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11
File: file.png (97 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
file.png
97 KB, 319x319
post the best industrial

no Einstürzende Neubauten
>>
File: file.png (187 KB, 301x300) Image search: [Google]
file.png
187 KB, 301x300
>>
>>64103050
I don't know why but I just love that album cover
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 450x450
>>
>>64103198
damn forgot this, one of my favourites
>>
>>64103050
>Raime
Nice
>>
Here's the best industrial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHP13KH-CCk
>>
File: cover.jpg (1 MB, 1588x1465) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
1 MB, 1588x1465
I've really been getting into Haujobb lately. Did anyone else pick up Blendwerk? I would say it's a return to form, but I've found their discography really consistent.
>>
>>64103050
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8fg9vfQx_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtxQncGyKek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh_dSv_1LQ4

>>64103252
good movie
>>
>>64103329
>good movie
it's a music video m8.
Der Eisenrost came first, then the movie was made to go with the music
>>
https://thoseopposedrecords.bandcamp.com/album/neo-punishment-systems

Industrial black metal is where it's at
>>
>>64103329
>the first and third one
I don't believe you actually enjoy listening to this.
>>
File: 4443804.jpg (222 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
4443804.jpg
222 KB, 600x600
>>64103081
woah, where did you find this obscure gem?
>>
>>64103666
on the mucore charts, why??
>>
>>64103608
music movie then

>>64103658
why
>>
>>64103666
>mocks someone for posting NIN
>posts SPK

You do know that SPK is among the most well-known and influential industrial bands of all time, right?
>>
>>64103640
Heard that new Cloak of Altering?

https://crucialblast.bandcamp.com/album/manifestation
>>
>>64103799
Why? Because it's the definition of cacophony

I think you like the IDEA of liking it
>>
>>64103608
>the movie was made to go with the music
Source?
>>
>>64103901
>I think you like the IDEA of liking it
there is no fundamental difference
>>
>>64103901
i wouldn't really call anna gardeck cacophonous

imo the definition of cacophony would be something like harsh noise wall which i dont like very much
>>
This thread is embarrassing. Jesus Christ, Montie, get some taste.
>>
>>64103980
What's more embarrassing is how successful a sub-retard like Montie is at trolling people.
>>
>>64103658
>I don't enjoy it so there'a no POSSIBLE way you could
>>
>>64104019
I just think it's weird that he continues to do it after getting doxxed and shit.
>>
>>64103925
Sure there is. When you genuinely enjoy something, it has a positive effect on your neurotransmitters; whereas, with extreme noise, I'd be willing to bet that if neuroscientists objectively measured the effect on your brainwaves, it would not be positive.

Now I suppose there could be a masochistic element to listening to it, but for the most part, I think people are simply interested in listening to obscure things that the vast majority of people can't understand. The IDEA of it.
>>
>>64104086
idk about other people but for me it's like listening to metal, makes me feel aggression

not every emotion music, art or whatever else gives you should always be positive, it's fun to challenge yourself
>>
>>64103901
>Because it's the definition of cacophony

Early Controlled Bleeding is basically free improv translated into the post-industrial noise format(understandably so, as the group began as an improv-heavy rock band), it shouldn't be that difficult to grasp.

>whereas, with extreme noise, I'd be willing to bet that if neuroscientists objectively measured the effect on your brainwaves, it would not be positive.

I think a lot of noise is a blast, at least the shit that comes up from the underground rather than the, uh, "sound art" variety of is(which is still extremely rewarding in its own way).
>>
>>64104086

Why do you faggots have such a hard time contemplating that some people genuinely enjoy listening to noise music? Goddamn, you guys act as if it's just a new fad amongst posturing teens, when in reality experimental music such as noise, tape music, electroacoustic have been around for fucking decades, with the foundations for contemporary noise even predating rock and roll. Get the fuck off /mu/ and do some research.
>>
>>64104134
>not every emotion music, art or whatever else gives you should always be positive, it's fun to challenge yourself
Fair point

>it's like listening to metal
I've always likened Harsh Noise to Metal, in that it's driven by a competition in who can create the most brutal, stomach-churning, brain-melting, provacative sounds.

Personally I find it disingenuous, and would rather spend my time listening to things that don't raise my blood pressure. But then again, I'm 32 years old.
>>
>>64104277
whatever's good for you man, just let it be known that people do actually enjoy noise music, for reasons other than the one's i gave too

>>64104252
yea this guy has it right
>>
>>64104277
>in that it's driven by a competition in who can create the most brutal, stomach-churning, brain-melting, provacative sounds.

That's not it at all. Noise tends to be pretty heavy on concept and theory, I can't think of a single notable noise artist whose motivations are as simple as some boneheaded metalhead fixation on "brutality".
>>
>>64104171
I can get into certain Sound-art/Noise artists, but when the goal is to merely create sounds to make your ears bleed, I just think it's ridiculous,
>>
>>64104277
>in that it's driven by a competition in who can create the most brutal, stomach-churning, brain-melting, provacative sounds.
You have no clue of what you're talking about.
>>
>>64104252
>>64104311
>>64104337
I can promise that when you kids grow up, you won't be listening to Harsh Noise... or whatever the fuck you want to call it
>>
>>64104394
... I think you do, anon
>>
>>64104409
>le i'm superior to all of u meme
into the trash it goes
>>
File: EG.jpg (88 KB, 702x468) Image search: [Google]
EG.jpg
88 KB, 702x468
yes Einstürzende Neubauten

also any esplendor geométrico fans out here?
https://youtu.be/CwsVakVVCQk
>>
>>64104409
The most popular contemporary noise musician is almost sixty years old.
>>
make it a share thread
>>
>>64104082
>doxxed
why do you think this is a big deal?
>>
>>64104348
>but when the goal is to merely create sounds to make your ears bleed

But that's not what it's about.
It's about communication of ideas and motivations just as much as any other form of art, the language it communicates in is just more abstract.

>>64104409
>you kids

Hahaha.
HE WENT THERE.
>>
>>64104461
>esplendor geométrico
they have some decent stuff, especially EG-1

you like converter?
>>
>>64104252
>tape music, noise, and electroacoustic music have been around for decades
I'm aware

If you're referring to musicians like the GRM artists, Darmstadt composers, and various other early composers that were interested in the psycho-acoustic effects of sounds, I really enjoy that stuff.

I'm mainly referring to a specific contingent of the Noise scene whose primary concern it seems is just to out-do one another in cacophony lol
>>
>>64104504
Remember The Pope after he got doxxed? Shit was crazy. He completely disappeared after that.
>>
>>64104409
>I can promise that when you kids grow up, you won't be listening to Harsh Noise

Thurston Moore is old as fuck and he's still way into noise(and has released a shitload of noise material on totally niche labels, and has collaborated with a shitload of noise musicians, and has released a shitload of work by noise artists on his label, and has championed them in the press countless times, and has taken them on tour with SY as openers and so on and so on), how do you explain that?
>>
>>64104558
>If you're referring to musicians like the GRM artists, Darmstadt composers, and various other early composers
I'm not.
>>
>>64104573
isn't doxxing basically just finding out who you are? like, address and shit, phone maybe. what happened to pope?
>>
>>64104584
>how do you explain that?
I've never been a fan of anything he has ever touched, so you're asking the wrong person.
>>
>>64104607
usually people post details because they want to be big names
>>
>>64104593
Ah.. well don't attempt to provide any examples then lol
>>
>>64104607
In case you don't know, The Pope was an infamous shitposter here a few years ago. Eventually, somebody got sick of his shit, found out where he lived, his school, his phone number, the details of his immediate family members, etc. The dude who doxxed him threatened to leak all of it unless he stopped posting and left /mu/ completely
>>
File: R-689084-1163450573.jpeg.jpg (111 KB, 600x544) Image search: [Google]
R-689084-1163450573.jpeg.jpg
111 KB, 600x544
>>64104519
I listened to shock front and it was cool. Other than that and that Noise/Girl record I'm not big on power noise.

Also if we're posting harsh noise/PE might as well post my favorite of the genre, along with Hole in the Heart: https://youtu.be/N3bBrmVluxI?t=15m13s
>>
>>64104644
I don't see why I should, considering that's easy research.
>>
>>64104671
lel. but see, someone who is autistic enough to be a famous shitposter is also autistic enough to be so afraid of being doxxed. i assume he still shitposts here anyway

>>64104622
what?
>>
File: 1444018693513.jpg (53 KB, 403x452) Image search: [Google]
1444018693513.jpg
53 KB, 403x452
>>64104713
Uh huh
>>
>>64104680
i love ramleh too

since i already posted knees and bones here's another big PE favourite of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB1P9lHRC50
>>
File: eee74687.jpg (125 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
eee74687.jpg
125 KB, 658x658
What do you think about this album?
>>
>>64104621
But his age combined with his credentials and importance as an artist certainly should go against your perception of noise as dipshit teenager music, shouldn't they?

>>64104932
Dreck. Their first two were great and I dug certain bits of the remix albums, but that one was utter shit.
Some of it sounds like fucking CHVRCHES.
>>
>>64104854
hell yeah, those two are great
I think you might enjoy werewolf jerusalem in case you haven't heard it
>>
>>64104932
if you even remotely think that album has anything to do with industrial music pls kill yourself
>>
>>64104854
Classic LP, though I was always more into Cocaine Death and The Black Post Society as full-on PE mode Prurient went.
Being present for this performance(or the full performance of Pleasure Ground he did last year) must have been unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZVqMYgVZeY
>>
File: skold[1].jpg (99 KB, 660x486) Image search: [Google]
skold[1].jpg
99 KB, 660x486
New Skold press pics look like they're from Suicide Squad
>>
>>64105024
I never said that ALL Noise was for edgy young people -- mostly just the really extreme stuff.

As for Thurston Moore, I suppose I respect him for being an innovator, but that's about as far as it goes for me.
>>
>>64104932
Solid synth pop
Expertly produced
I liked it
>>
>>64105240
>mostly just the really extreme stuff

Depends on how deep into the underground you want to go(there's some shit that's never going to be smart to mention in polite company), but even some of that "extreme" stuff that was staunchly avoided by the "sophisticated" art critics and press for decades for one reason or another(the subject matter it dealt in, the motivations behind it, the grimy and private trading circuit which allowed it to circulate and spread) has been getting critically reevaluated and reappraised and accepted as credible and intelligent art by the Wire types during the past 15-20 years. Your perception of this shit just doesn't mesh with the reality of it.
>>
>>64105669
>your perception of this shit just doesn't mesh with the reality of it.
You mean my perception doesn't mesh with bored critics and artfags who are desperate to find something new to jump on?

Anyway, this is getting much too vague due to the dearth of actual examples. I try to address things on a case by case basis, and as for my generalization of "Extreme Noise", perhaps I haven't heard some of the more palatable recordings. But I doubt it.

I think maybe you put too much emphasis on haughty critical reception.
>>
>>64105918
>You mean my perception doesn't mesh with bored critics and artfags who are desperate to find something new to jump on?

No. Your theories on why it's received its reappraisal aside, I mean that your perception of it as dipshit teenager music doesn't mesh with the reality of it being widely accepted as a vital and innovative field of art which plenty of vital and innovative artists work in.

>Anyway, this is getting much too vague due to the dearth of actual examples.

Examples of what? Some of the old-guard artists I'm talking about? The New Blockaders, Macronympha and Whitehouse, for example. Three outfits which went from being seen as fringe post-industrial smut peddlers and which were either derided or completely ignored as far as critical response went for ages, only to finally get their due during the past decade or so. In part thanks to a younger generation of artists(people like John Wiese, Joe Colley, Aaron Dilloway and Dominick Fernow, not to mention the more wider-crossover-friendly, not-strictly-noise guys like Peter Rehberg or Jim O'Rourke, or even Stephen O'Malley and James Ferraro in his earlier days) which produced significant work of their own while taking influence from those artists and in some cases even collaborating with those artists in some capacity, and in part thanks to the benefit of a wider context and chronology which developed around those artists' work and which made its importance undeniable.

>perhaps I haven't heard some of the more palatable recordings.

Shit, all I can do is provide some info. If you're gonna remain adamant about completely ignoring the more abstract and elaborate side of all this and instead sticking with this one-dimensional mindset revolving around palatability and extremity there's nothing I can do about that.

>I think maybe you put too much emphasis on haughty critical reception.

And I think you put too much emphasis on sticking with an uneducated set of opinions even when they hold no water.
>>
best industrial hip hop coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keZmdyK0bYQ
>>
>>64106665
I'm actually a fan of at least half of the artists you mentioned, so I think you've misappraised my tastes a bit.

>instead sticking with this one-dimensional mindset revolving around palatability and extremity there's nothing I can do about that
I wasn't looking for your guidance, m8. And if you really wanted to get into a philosophical discussion about the conceptual nature of Noise, you had ample opportunity to interpose.

>uneducated set of opinions, even though they hold no water
The fact that you -- and every other anon whose interested in this -- gets so defensive about it, tells me that my statements aren't quite as unfounded as anons would like to admit.
>you just don't get it, man. Open your mind, man.

Anyway, I suppose it's par for the course, but people on here assume entirely too much about each others musical knowledge when confronted with a dissenting opinion.
>read a book
>you just don't know music history, bro
>you just don't have a subscription to The Wire like me
>you must not have access to boomkat.Com
Nothing is all that esoteric anymore, anon... stop trying so hard
>>
>>64105918
Neutral observer that just came into the thread here. Just curious what kind of music you really enjoy (preferably with a few sample tracks)? Not trying to set you up for an ambush, you just seem to have a strong sense of what you do and don't like (I'm assuming [hoping] you're the 32 y/o) and that always makes me very curious to see where you've found your greatest enjoyment as you've settled in and moved past the veritable witches cauldron that is a young adults brain.
>>
>>64108596
>the witches cauldron that is the young adults brain
Lol

My tastes are actually fairy broad, but these days I mostly listen to various types of classical-related music (Baroque on up to more experimental stuff). And despite what you may assume, given my harsh criticism of extreme(ly irritating) noise, I also listen to a lot of sound-art (GRM artists, Pan records stuff, Mark Fell, etc). I just hear things like link-related and can't help but roll my eyes (for the record, I'm actually a huge fan of Kevin Drumm, I just detest his material that is, in every practical sense, unlistenable)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tL-fohhu_FI
>>
>>64108341
>I wasn't looking for your guidance, m8.

And I don't think I ever stated I was interested in providing any. I pretty much just jumped at the opportunity in that post above to namedrop a bunch of shit in case anyone reading through the thread might be interested in looking further into it.

>The fact that you -- and every other anon whose interested in this -- gets so defensive about it, tells me that my statements aren't quite as unfounded as anons would like to admit.

Defensive about what? What statements?
I've got nothing to defend, dude. The history of all this goes back to the early 20th century and there's been plenty of writing done on it and plenty of interviews with artists and labels in which they explain their motivations and aims. All I'm saying is that if you're gonna dismiss it, at least do it for reasons which have some substance to them.

>Nothing is all that esoteric anymore, anon...

Which is what I've been saying all along, right from the first post I made in the thread: >>64104171

>Early Controlled Bleeding is basically free improv translated into the post-industrial noise format(understandably so, as the group began as an improv-heavy rock band), it shouldn't be that difficult to grasp.

That there's nothing so unspeakably alien and unfathomable about all this at this point, that a lot of it has been canonized in its own way and that there's nothing all that radical about the idea of people from all sorts of backgrounds finding all sorts of things to appreciate about it that go beyond inane obsessions with "brutality".

>>64108962
>I just hear things like link-related

Things like one of Drumm's most acclaimed albums(released on a label that's never had any interest whatsoever in putting out work that revolved around an idea as banal as extremity for extremity's sake), one of the albums which had a huge part in raising the profiles of both Drumm and the 2000s noise scene? Well alright.
>>
>>64107729
my nigga, ice is perfect

these are great too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SZveOcLQNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCnJAbQcJ48

>>64105049
god has shot himself is the only harsh noise wall record i liked aside from life in a peaceful new world

>>64105072
my favourite prurient is either the record I linked or and still, wanting. FNF is great too
>>
>>64110004
>defensive about what?
What have we been discussing, anon? I'm not going to reiterate the statements I've already made, but here's some elucidation: Regardless of any superfluous artist-statements that may accompany an album/artist whose primary, ostensible objective is to create the most grating noises known to man, I personally find it to be akin to the callow impetus of a Metal musician who seeks to push boundaries for the superficial sake of being more extreme than the last guy.

Now you may find this to be a one-dimensional assessment of Noise (I stress: the kind that you find in between radio stations×100); however, you haven't given me much to work with, in terms of the conceptual side of the subject -- I'm not going to introduce that end of things, because I clearly don't take it as seriously as you do. So by all means...

>one of the albums which had a huge part in raising the profiles of both Drumm and the 2000s noise scene?
What an erudite and illuminating defense of it. And I'm the one being superficial?
>>
>>64103050
>no Einstürzende Neubauten

But they are great. Sorry you have shit taste, montie. Anyway, I...

>Nine Inch Nails

Oh it's a bait thread. Nevermind. Also op's pic related is not industrial as well.
>>
>>64110603
>Regardless of any superfluous artist-statements that may accompany an album/artist whose primary, ostensible objective is to create the most grating noises known to man, I personally find it to be akin to the callow impetus of a Metal musician who seeks to push boundaries for the superficial sake of being more extreme than the last guy.

Not much more I can add to that, honestly. Keep being wrong, I guess?

>What an erudite and illuminating defense of it. And I'm the one being superficial?

An album's background and the processes behind its making as well as its reception and legacy and influence all help in attaining a better understanding of it and how it fits into the artist's discography or a wider genre or style in general.
If anything I'd say that taking these objective elements into account combined with a subjective personal perspective on an album is less superficial than just going off of what an album sounds like and how the listener is reacting to it.
If anything, I'd say that if you went that extra mile instead of just settling for kneejerking this cyclic and tedious conversation would have never happened in the first place.
>>
>>64111773
>An album's background and the processes behind its making as well as its reception and legacy and influence all help in attaining a better understanding of it and how it fits into the artist's discography or a wider genre or style in general.
No shit; nevertheleas, you're asking me for more substantial points, and yet you defend an album based on the fact that it was well-received by critics and musicians. And yes, it is most certainly more superficial than providing a personal perspective on the matter.

>if anything, I'd say that if you went that extra mile instead of just settling for kneejerking this cyclic and tedious conversation would have never happened in the first place.
Ironically, I haven't really expanded all that much on my original statement. And if you revisit your rebuttals, you'll find that they essentially consist of variations of "nuh uh, you just don't get it, man, because music history".
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9kIh6OPmCU

What do you guys think about this?
>>
>>64112809
U serious? It's terrible
>>
>>64114134
dgznhfgh
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.