[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm about to start listening to this colorful fellow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: Zappa_16011977_01_300[1].jpg (18 KB, 300x420) Image search: [Google]
Zappa_16011977_01_300[1].jpg
18 KB, 300x420
So I'm about to start listening to this colorful fellow for the first time.

I'm starting with Freak Out!, as should be, since it's his first album release.

What am I in for, /mu/?
>>
>>64072260
It can't happen here
>>
>>64072260

Underwhelmed. It will get way better tho.
>>
>>64072276
What can't happen?
>>
America's wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
>>
File: Muffin man.jpg (34 KB, 405x403) Image search: [Google]
Muffin man.jpg
34 KB, 405x403
>>64072260
>>
>>64072260
listen to Hot Rats instead
>>
You'll be impressed when you hit We're Only in it for the Money. For now you'll be a bit underwhelmed
>>
Some avant-garde, some doo-wop and lots of prog and jazz rock
>>
>>64072299
>>64072444
So far I really enjoy the sudden outbursts of rage and screaming.

As for everything else, it sounds like a pretty standard "everything sucks fuck you I'm different" early 70s album.
>>
shit music
*farts*
>>
>>64072260
Just listen to it and find out. This is the most useless kind of thread. This isn't facebook, no one cares what you're listening to.
>>
>>64073075
Go be angry and bitter somewhere else, friend.
>>
>>64072299

Except Freak Out was released in 1966, are you dumb or something.

Everything after Freak Out is fucking gold, Freak Out has it's good songs though.

The album after Freak Out, Absolutely Free is the best Mothers album next to Uncle Meat. They both show the true prowess of FZ as a composer. They are beautifully arranged and stupid and silly at the same time.

If you can't handle the weird factor of FZ then maybe you just don't "get it". I don't want to sound pretentious, but FZ comes from the planet Venus as far as music theory goes. He doesn't give a fuck when he throws wrenches into beautiful melodies, he grew up listening to the dissonant fucked up pieces by Edgar Varese.

As far as FZ solo stuff, everything is good to me, every album is so different from each other in style. That's one of the things about him as an artist, you can't pinpoint his genre. He switches and mixes from rock, jazz, modernist classical, experimental, doowop constantly.
>>
Uncle Meat is amazing.
>>
>>64073256

Sorry meant to respond to >>64072500
>>
>>64073256
Whoah, calm those tits, Captain.

I meant it -sounds- like a standard early seventies album. Including the weird shit. I'm fond of "weird stuff" like you call it. You don't need to be a pretentious douche about it. I'm listening to it because it seems like precisely the kind of thing I'd listen to. This is /mu/, you're not the only one with oh so patrician tastes.

Aside from that, I'm starting Absolutely Free right now. I don't hate it, but there's nothing incredibly impressing yet. I'm hoping every other anon is right in that it gets much better.
>>
freak out is way better than we're only in it for the money FFS
>>
The guy put out a lot of good music, some really shitty stuff, and some just OK stuff. Not a consistent musician, to me.

His best stuff is (both solo and with The Mothers)
Freak Out!
We're Only In It For the Money
Uncle Meat
Roxy & Elsewhere (probably my favorite thing he did)
Waka Jawaka
Hot Rats
Joe's Garage
Broadway the Hardway
>>
>>64073640
apostrophe should be included here for sure.

really with zappa he's got loads of essential shit, if you genuinely like his music just dive in.
>>
>>64073673
Yeah I like Apostrophe, it's just not a favorite of mine.

When I started to get into his stuff I definitely went in blind. I sat through a lot of his albums that I didn't care for just because I felt like I had to. I haven't listened to much of the posthumous releases though. I think I've heard the majority of what he released while he was alive. I feel like I've devoted enough time to listen to that music and I just don't care enough to listen to his like, 40 posthumous releases. I have heard a few incredible bootlegs though, which is kind of like 'extra' stuff.
>>
>>64073673
>>64073746

The only song I love from Apostrophe is Uncle Remus, I like a few, but overall I feel is kinda meh.
>>
>>64073386

it sounds like you don't know what you are talking about to me desu.
>>
File: 113736-a.jpg (582 KB, 2000x2096) Image search: [Google]
113736-a.jpg
582 KB, 2000x2096
A P O S T R O P H E / O V E R N I T E S E N S A T I O N

Oh and pic fucking related.
>>
>>64072260
I don't think Freak Out! it's accesible. If you're not into Zappa yet, you should listen some other albums before that one. Maybe Hot Rats?
>>
>>64073787
tbf uncle remus is one of the best songs on there.

what about the title track? probably my favorite ever frank zappa song, honestly.
>>
What will you be in for, OP? Probably one of the greatest tributes to Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys ever recorded.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.