[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was electroclash the original meme genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: main_large.jpg (58 KB, 550x549) Image search: [Google]
main_large.jpg
58 KB, 550x549
Was electroclash the original meme genre?
>>
women are the original meme gender
>>
>>64071714
It was cool, not a meme genre.
>>
>>64071751
this
>>
>>64071714
>hips on the left
HIGH TEST
>>
>>64072488
meme genres can be cool
>>
>>64071714
why do i wanna fuck them
why benis
>>
>>64071714
Jesus the girl on the right looks like fucking Grimes
Disgusting
>>
I've never heard of it and I'm pretty well versed in my memes
So if a meme master isn't familiar with the meme it can't be a meme?
>>
>>64072843
Yes, but this wasn't a meme genre like trance turned into around the same time.
>>
>>64073051
today you realise you're not a meme master, just a guy with too many frog pictures
>>
>>64071714
Nah, I think the meme genre thing started with 'Freak Folk' or 'New Weird America' as a kind of descriptor denoting a weird aesthetic in an underground where psychedelia, noise, drone, folk, etc overlapped. Animal Collective would be an example of this, or Ariel Pink.

The thing is, the names given to the burblings of style that emanated out of this kind of approach were never accurate for some of these artists, but just describing passing activity. It was as if the artists were changing the dial on a radio and nearby listeners would try to come up with names to describe the sounds. "Oh, that's Free Folk. Now It's Hypnagogic Pop... Chillwave... Witchhouse... Seapunk... Vaporwave...

So, some of these weird underground artists who back then would get put under Free Folk or Freak Folk like Animal Collective, would then later get described as Hypnagogic Pop or Chillwave when people started noticing the drones sounding more sunny or beachy.

Or some of these noisey experimenters as they went synthier like Oneohtrix Point Never or James Ferraro would be called Hypnagogic Pop but as people noticed weird 'corporate' materialities in the music had to come up with names like Vaporwave.

The way I see it, is there are artists who kind of blur beyond genre, who trigger all these weird sonic ideas, and then the second there is a recognizable idea... you get a bunch of copycat artists who turn it into a meme genre... So you had the beardier, folkier indie bands drawing aesthetic ideas when the weird psychedelic/noise-y underground were fucking with witchy folk vibes, and then you had 'Chillwave' artists making kind of indie-not-indie chill synth music after the lead of Panda Bear, Ariel Pink, James Ferraro, or then all these 'Vaporwave' acts taking Oneohtrix Point Never and James Ferraro etc's later ideas and turning that into a meme.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.