[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First times
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 615dMHyAaPL.jpg (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
615dMHyAaPL.jpg
77 KB, 500x500
When you first listen to a band, what album do you start with:

I'll use Animal Collective as an example as I've only just started listening to them.

Do you go with their first album? e.g. Here Comes The Indian

Their first acclaimed album? e.g. Sung Tongs

Their most acclaimed album? e.g. MPP

Their latest album? e.g. Painting With

Or something else?

Just using Animal Collective as an example, but I ask the question generally for starting with any artist.
>>
Oh, and why?
>>
I'm not here to answer your question, but instead to nitpick. Sorry.

Here Comes the Indian is not AnCo's first album, Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished is.
>>
I mean HCTI isn't their first anyway.
>>
>>64071827
Apologies, I did not realise this retroactive classification thing.

I'm not sure if it still makes sense or not as an example then, but hopefully people will follow the gist of what i'm asking.
>>
>>64071887
If you don't like STGSTV you won't like any of it.
>>
>>64071827
actually, danse manatee is
>>
>>64072402
bite me
>>
I usually listen to a band's first album, because at that point it was them writing the music they wanted, not being influenced by an outside source, and that usually makes it their most "raw" and heartfelt album.
>>
strawberry jam is generally more highly rated than MPP, it just didn't crossover as much
>>
>>64071629
Most acclaimed and then dig deeper if I like it
>>
Depending on how large the Discography of a band is I'll usually listen to the first album and work my way up. If it's some obscure black metal band with hundreds of amateur demos released before an actual album, then I'll avoid those demos at first.

However if it's a band with like two or three albums I'll usually listen to the acclaimed one first.
>>
Usually the most acclaimed album that is representative of their style, and THEN if I like that I start from the beginning.
>>
>>64075122
thats not always the case, MGMT for example
>>
I feel like with animal collective you could literally start anywhere with their music because each album has such a distinct sound. One album isn't really going to be representative of their style

But in general I start with the first album unless I've been specifically recommended to start with something else
>>
It depends on whether or not I'm trying to get into the artist, or just listen to music, if that makes sense.
>>
I started with Sung Tongs and I didn't like it the first time, that made me ignore AnCo for a few months until I listened to MPP.
>>
>>64076714
I started with Danse Manatee and I was hooked instantly. I thought all of their other albums would have been named after animals too, but I'm missing my point. My point is that you're a pleb
>>
>>64076784
I started with Sung Tongs and liked it instantly, then tried MPP and thought it was shit. What does that make me, anonymous arbiter of taste?
>>
>>64077050
i don't know, but i did this too. technically, i didn't, but sung tongs was like the second or third that I tried for more than a few tracks, because it hooked me instantly, and I thought it was one of the best things I ever heard. then i tried mpp and thought it was boring. but now i like everything except water curses, fall be kind, and painting with
>>
>>64077112
Shit, you sound really similar to me actually, though I like Bleed of FBK and the title track of Water Curses and would replace Painting With with Feels.
I'm just gonna guess that Leaf House, Who Could Win A Rabbit, and Winters Love are the tracks that immediately hooked you because they're still my favorite from the first half of Sung Tongs.
>>
>>64077176
dunno about winter's love or not, but def the first two tracks. though my favorites now are the more ambient-like ones. i also like the title track from water curses and WWIWS. unfortunately, Feels is my favorite animal collective album doggy dog. but still, cool senpai. what are your favorite anco releases
>>
>>64077321
Sung Tongs is definitely my top album, and Hollinndagain, MPP, Person Pitch, Tomboy, and HCtI are probably my top ones after it. If it were better overall Danse Manatee would be up there too, but so much of it is so mediocre that the couple songs that are among the best they've ever written can't save it as a whole. I've also really been starting to appreciate STGSTV as of late, it used to not click with me at all past the first two songs and now it's quickly becoming another favorite (to the point of beating a lot of those albums.)
Also Winters Love is one of their best songs ever, to the point where not being able to experience it the way I do seems seriously depressing to me. What are your top songs m8?
>>
>>64077511
that's funny af, i listened to some of STGSTV before any animal collective; i thought the first three tracks were some of the most interesting music i'd heard at the time, then the rest of the album for some reason just bored me to death. i still don't identify with it the way other people do, as some great ode to childhood, but it is a bit nostalgic for me. and yeah, i do love winter's love, i covered it once for a class. my top 5 songs are In the Flowers, Pride and Fight, Flesh Canoe, Working, and Happy Singing Band. Idk if you've heard the 2004 set they played at Other Music, but it is fucking beautiful, you owe it to yourself if you haven't.
>>
This is a trick my dad taught me, it's called "sideways listening".

>start listening to a band's most famous record, it's always the easiest listen
>done? listen to some tracks on the album before and the album after. since the sound is more similar and you're already "in it", they'll click faster
>master both slowly at the same time, and proceed doing the "sideways" motion with the albums before and after those ones
>after that, listen to the discography start to finish to make up your mind
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.