[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
These three albums are largely responsible for the 2000's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: Untitled.jpg (85 KB, 680x672) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
85 KB, 680x672
These three albums are largely responsible for the 2000's NME-core garage rock revival / post punk revival / indie rock meme. Looking back, did they have a positive overall effect on music? Discuss.
>>
>>64068055
Interpol is average
The Strokes and The Libertines are fun, accessible, ultimately derivative bands with some really good songs, a lot of the music spawned by their efforts is poor, some of it is okay. Is This It and Up The Bracket are both great records, and the rest of the their combined discography is very hit or miss.
>>
>>64068096
Really, I like Interpol the most out of these. And yeah, the artists they inspired have seen a lot of derision after the fact, but I still love Arctic Monkeys-core desu
>>
>>64068055
While it would have been better if they pushed different, boundary pushing music instead I can't deny is this it is fucking amazing
>>
>>64068161
I can definitely see why Interpol could be someone's favourite, I was just speaking from subjectively
>>
>>64068164
They brought back that fun, infectious vibe that was sorely missing from 90s indie. I mean look how mopey Built to Spill, NMH, Radiohead, etc were

>>64068205
Of course
>>
>>64068251
Ever seen any of them live?
>>
The Libertines first two are the best rock records of that decade, while The Strokes out-do them in certain moments, The Strokes weren't as consistent as The Libertines.
And plus The Libertines were fuckin rock n roll
>>
>>64068258
No, I was in elementary/middle school at this scene's height. I've recently been looking back at this era retroactively and catching up on all the amazing music I never knew about.
>>
>>64068055
Too bad Interpol never did a album remotely close to TOTBL. It's a classic from the 00s
>>
>>64068283
While Antics and OLTA could never match TOTBL's remarkable consistency and songwriting, both of these albums had moments of sheer genius imo.
>>
I've had a lot of success finding recs from these three lists, along with /mu/ and r/indieheads

http://www.nme.com/list/the-top-100-greatest-albums-of-the-decade/158049/page/10

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=23850

http://www.stereogum.com/1719309/26-essential-songs-from-the-nyc-rock-resurgence/franchises/ultimate-playlist/
>>
>>64068055
There is literally nothing wrong with NME-core
It was way better alternative to mainstream rock music than buttrock and soft rock
>>
NME put Is This It above TVU&N on their best albums of all time list and that's all you need to know about them
>>
>>64068537
Oh yeah, they're a terrible publication that panders to whatever they've made cool, but these albums are still decent.
>>
>>64068517
Yeah man, I really don't understand the hate these bands get nowadays. Like everyone shits on Arctic Monkeys nowadays but they were really fucking great.

>>64068537
Their Top 500 albums of all time list is wack but their Top 100 albums of the 2000s is great. Check it out, http://www.nme.com/list/the-top-100-greatest-albums-of-the-decade/158049/page/10
>>
>>64068537
I'd still read them over Cuckfork
>>
UNDERRATED
>>
10/10
"Arctic Monkeys’ fifth record is absolutely and unarguably the most incredible album of their career. It might also be the greatest record of the last decade. It’s not, however, the work of a band operating at their absolute peak – that’s yet to come. It’s the work of a band still growing, still fine-tuning, still learning and still experimenting; a band who will not look back on this record as a career high, but as the moment they stopped being defined by genre and instead became artists. Not a rock band, definitely not an indie band, but artists. Think Bowie, think The Beatles, think Stevie Wonder and think Bob Dylan. From this point on, Arctic Monkeys can do whatever they want, sound however they like, and always be Arctic Monkeys. But that’s all for another day, sometime in their stupidly bright future. For now, we should celebrate this record for what it is – 41 minutes and 57 seconds of near perfection."
>>
>>64068780
Every publication has produced some cringe worthy reviews. That's no reason to discount the entire magazine.
>>
>>64068800
I haven't discounted the entire publication, I just find this review really funny, it reads like a parody, have you read the whole thing? It's great.
>>
>>64068842
Yeah, they do go overboard, like Ian Cohen levels, at times. One of their editors put four The National albums as her top 5 of all time. I mean, I love them too, but come on.
>>
>>64068680
Add this to the top 4 op and you are good
>>
>>64069128
These guys came a bit after, if anything I'd add the Yeah Yeah Yeahs debut. But Hot Fuss, despite all of Brandon Flowers' posturing, is seriously underrated.
>>
>>64068867
lol
>>
All great albums. Honestly like Up the bracket the least of all three. I like Interpol better as a band but holy shit Is this it is amazing.

Not their fault shitty bands followed the trend.
Obviously positive, we can hear these records.
>>
>>64068055
They were all terrible. They were all referential and did not contribute anything remotely original to rock.

The only decent band out of the three was Interpol, and their only decent album was that debut.
>>
>>64068312
This
>>
For me it was, This Is It, The White Stripes s/t & Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
>>
>>64071191
All music is "referential"

>>64071162
I think even the shitty bands they inspired were way better than the hard rock of the 2000s or the corporate indie of the 2010s
>>
>>64071320
>he doesn't understand what referential means
>>
File: 1452464676626.jpg (61 KB, 565x554) Image search: [Google]
1452464676626.jpg
61 KB, 565x554
>>64068537
But Anon, TVU&N is a shitboring turd, Is this It is far superior.
>>
NME-core of the early-mid 2000s:
>Good Tier
The Strokes (first album)
The Libertines
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Interpol
>Ok Tier
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Cooper Temple Clause
White Stripes (White Blood Cells and Elephant only)
The Coral
The Killers
Cooper Temple Clause
>Bad Tier
Arctic Monkeys
The Vines
The Von Bondies
The Datsuns
>Shit tier
The Kooks
The Kaiser Chiefs
The Walkmen
>Fucking kill yourself tier
The Others
Hard Fi
>>
>>64071379
2/10 bait
>>
>>64071509
I also forgot to put The Futureheads and Maximo Park in Ok Tier. Am I forgetting anything? The Datsuns and Vines should be in shit tier really, but I loved them at the time lol
>>
>>64071509
>The Walkmen
>Shit tier

what the fuck are you doing dude
>>
>>64071509
This pretty much, things like the killers I listened once and I thought "this is ok" but that's about it, besides interpol and some of the strokes, it's music that I can't connect to because it's too focused on being catchy, even mainstream stuff like MGMT is far far better than most of those bands.
>>
>>64068096
Derivative of what motherfucker? Gee wiz
>>
>>64071509
My list

2000s indie rock ranking

>Actually good tier:
Franz Ferdinand, British Sea Power, Foals, The Horrors, Interpol, The Coral

>Decent Tier:
The Killers, The Cribs, We Are Scientists, The Rapture, Mystery Jets, Editors, The Walkmen, The Hives,

>Average Tier:
Maximo Park, Kaiser Chiefs, The Fratelis, The Maccabees, The Futureheads, White Lies, Bombay Bicycle Club

>Shite tier:
The Bravery, Klaxons, The Wombats, The Cinematics, The Subways, One Night Only, Two Door Cinema Club, The Enemy, Hard-Fi

>Bottom of the barrel tier:
Scouting for Girls, Razorlight, The Kooks, The Pigeon Detectives, Viva Brother, The View

>Overrated tier:
The Strokes, The Liberines, Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys
>>
>>64071536
Not bait, really, velvet underground is shit, how can anyone like it? same goes for Neutral Milk Hotel.
>>
>>64071622
I didn't want to make a Joy Division tribute-band tier, but they'd be in it, along with many others from that era.
Seriously, aside from what>>64071627
said, SO many of those bands were pedaling a very recycled sound that had been done much better in the late 70s and early 80s by bands like Joy Division, Talking Heads, The Clash and (especially) Television. It's sad in a way, because THIS era was the last time that "rock music" was really mainstream, in the UK at least.
>>
>>64071642
Do you want me to name them or can you really not work it out yourself
>>
>>64071667
Christ I'd forgotten about most of those bands, just goes to show. Razorlight were seriously terrible, you are right, don't agree with Bloc Party though, their first album is legit 9/10 even now.
>>
>>64071642
Agree that The Strokes, the libs and AM. Are overrated but are still the best quality. Also, Franz Ferdinand good? Also, Foals good? They've got 1 good album and then everything else is blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand
>>
>>64071684
All those bands that were mentioned earlier in this thread would iterally not exist with out the Velvet Underground. Pleb.
>>
>>64071667
And how the heck arent the fratellis in bottom of the barrel tier
>>
Does Phoenix count? Theyre honestly on par if not better than most bands mentioned here.
>>
>>64071703

I would suggest you revisit Lisbon b/c it's a really great album that sounds nothing like Joy Division, it's one of the least derivative albums to come out of the post-punk revival
>>
Just wanted to post this because its great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGqSJMNivpQ

The Strokes used to be so good live it's crazy.
>>
>>64071708
You can't name them. The Strokes has influences like everybody, but they're pretty singular. The Libertines are even more so. Interpol clearly borrows a lot from Joy Division, but they still arrived at something idiosyncratic.
>>
>>64071849
$2 bill is one of my fave concerts of all time. I wish there was a physical copy avaible
>>
>>64071807
No, they're really not.

I like Phoenix and all, but you're so wrong lol
>>
>>64071509
Yet the The White Stripes s/t killed babies.
>>
Jack White.

What do I win?
>>
File: Editor.jpg (109 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
Editor.jpg
109 KB, 953x953
>>64068055
Editors were pretty underrated

Their new album this year was not bad
>>
>>64071961
The Strokes: The Ramones and Television
The Libertines: The Clash
Interpol: Joy Division and Television

Wasn't that hard, was it?
>>
As a Brit this genre of music will always have a place in my heart. At least it's fun and enjoyable unlike most mopey pretensions American indie rock.
>>
>>64072006
what?
>>
>>64068680
Agreed. The best pop rock album of its time and inspired a slew of imitators.
>>
>>64072063
The editors were a copy of a band that was already copying another one.
>>
>>64072074
Yeah that's not at all how it works. The Clash didn't have half of the musical vocab The Libertines did, The Strokes have almost nothing in common with The Ramones and barely anything with Television, and there's a lot more to Interpol than those two bands. For one Interpol had the ability to write a great Pop hook unlike JD and Television.
>>
>>64072076
>muh music I liked when I was in secondary school and sixth form

feckless serf tier opinion
>>
>>64072088
My crust punk bitch of a flavor was with child. I played little people real loud & close.
>>
>>64072560
>The Clash didn't have half of the musical vocab The Libertines did
Guaranteed only listened to first two albums. Try Sandanista and Combat Rock before you form an opinion
>The Strokes have almost nothing in common with The Ramones and barely anything with Television
Julian's "singing" is like Joey's, and those angular, choppy guitar lines are very Tom Verlaine.
>For one Interpol had the ability to write a great Pop hook unlike JD and Television.
lmao have you even heard Love Will Tear Us Apart, Transmission? Granted, Television isn't really pop, but then again I wouldn't say Interpol were particularly catchy either.
>>
>>64072560
>The Clash didn't have half of the musical vocab The Libertines did,
Come on brother I agree with your general point but don't shit on the greatest punk rock band of all time like this
>>
>>64072153
These guys were fantastic at Glastonbury 05. Friday night headliners The White Stripes (on directly after Killers) were shit by comparison.
>>
>>64072934
White Stripes are trash desu senpai
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.