[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you get into an artist? I either: >listen to the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: ss+(2016-04-15+at+08.25.08).png (45 KB, 981x386) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-15+at+08.25.08).png
45 KB, 981x386
How do you get into an artist?

I either:

>listen to the highest rated album on RYM

or

>listen to the debut, then the highest rated album on RYM to see how much their sound has changed
>>
If the discography is huge, like Jim O'Rourke, then the highest rated ones seem the most logical. But if the discography isn't that massive, then chronological.
>>
I do the same thing but slightly differently

If I start with the debut I generally just work my way through the discog rather than skipping to the highest rated
>>
Chronological like any normal music fan.
>>
>>64064963
if i intent to listen to every album by an artist i go by how appealing the cover art looks / select randomly
>>
>>64064963
If they don't have more than 10 albums I download their whole discography and listen to it on shuffle
>>
By whatever have the most votes on RYM.
>>
>listen to an artist's highest rated release on RYM
>eh, it's ok
>ignore it and never listen to them again
>2 years later, stumble upon one of their lower rated releases
>it's amazing
>>
>>64065024
Even if you're just memeing here, I actually kind of like this idea as long as you go back and listen to the albums individually afterwards. It seems like a good way to get a feel for what you like and dislike about an artist without having a subconscious bias for which album it was on and the opinions associated with that album.
>>
>>64065149
Always, every time
>>
File: 1456156722795.jpg (14 KB, 294x273) Image search: [Google]
1456156722795.jpg
14 KB, 294x273
I listen to the lowest rated album because it always ends up being their best anyway
>>
i do it chronologically. Sound changes over time and that is what i like to see to determine the direction the artist is heading with their music.
>>
I start with whichever album cover interests me. But I don't even know anymore, my habit ATM is sporadically listening to random free improv. Those guys collaborate a lot.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.