[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
440hz vs. 432 hz
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
I want to know what's your opinion over this 440hz vs 432hz meme.

>432hz is, presumably, in connection with nature and universe.
>432hz is, presumably, in connection with god
>432hz is, presumably, more beautiful than 440hz
>432hz is, presumably, deeper and soothing

Although I like to tune my instruments to another frequency (mostly 432hz, but also 442hz and 448hz) I don't think 432hz is really "in connection" with everything. Personally, I just like the sound of other frequency tunings. What do you think?
>>
When I listen to 432 vs 400, it feels like the music is reaching deeper into my brain, if that makes any sense. I like it.
>>
>>64060539
I tend to listen in 440 when in mood for something brighter or aggresive, but 432 when deep or emotional.
>>
It's absolute nonsense. There is no difference. It's like asking, "do you like a song in the key of C or in the key of D?" and then saying that the key of D is scientifically better and is the better sounding key.

It means nothing. As Grove Karl Gilbert said, "to my mind it appears that the difficulty is only imaginary and not real. Rigidity and plasticity are not absolute terms but relative."

I believe that same concept applies here. There is no difference between these two except in context with each other.
>>
>>64060695
There is a difference. One is not factually better than the other, for sure, but saying there is no difference is nonsensical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74JzBgm9Mz4
>>
>>64060769
That's the thing. The only reason you HEAR a difference is because there is the context from the other. The only reason one sounds brighter, darker, soothing, etc. is just because you have connotatively assumed so. It's like assuming low piano notes are immediately dark and spooky, when it's just not true. You just have become accustomed to that contextually.
>>
When I listen in 440hz, my poop comes out all lumpy and hard.

When I listen in 432hz, my poop comes out smooth, soft and especially long. And I can really feel the connection with nature while sitting on the toilet.
>>
>>64060822
But low piano notes do tend to sound dark and spooky. That is the reason why third major sounds bright and the third minor sounds dark.
>>
what the fuck
is this /x/
>>
>>64060481
This was a huge meme when I started browsing back in 2014.

All things considered, I don't care if someone tunes their instruments to a 432 "A". I can tell if someone does it, but I won't really care as long as they sound good doing it.
>>
File: wew.png (42 KB, 855x188) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
42 KB, 855x188
Kek

This has to be an /x/ meme
>>
File: wew2.png (24 KB, 856x116) Image search: [Google]
wew2.png
24 KB, 856x116
More cringe
>>
>>64060822
I've never listened to a comparison of 440hz vs 432 before and the 432 definitely sounded sadder.
>>
complete bullshit. if you like how one sounds over the other then good for you but the ~connection with nature and the universe~ is bullshit of the highest degree

>>64060956
spoiler alert: new age hippies are actually retarded
>>
it's meme, and anyone who tunes to it is a meme, especially for guitars

same thing for true temperament frets or fanned frets
>>
that's just the resonant frequency of water. Doesn't matter that much. Also it would only make sense if it did, if any music you played was in the key of A.

Having the song be in another key and the note A have some weird impact on you that would detract from the music, if it was like the 3rd or 4th note of the scale, would just have a weird effect really if it did exist.

One thing that's similar to this but is actually real is "just intonation". That means that your fifth interval should be an exact ratio of 3:2, and similar to the other intervals. But in the system we use, called 12-tone equal temperament, it's not like this. The reason we use 12-tone equal temperament is to allow all instruments to play with eachother easily and also to allow more flexibility such as chromaticism and key-changes in our music.

But in fact, our intervals are not what they're supposed to be. They are all slightly out of tune in order to make them all an equal distance apart.
>>
I'm sure this has been done in a more scientific way

but if you really believe this stuff then do a blindfold test

don't listen to them back to back. I'm sure you can understand why that's complete bullshit. but just do a blindfold test where you mix up a bunch of music that you're NOT familiar with and tell me if you get it right more than half the time.

I'm saying it's impossible you will get it right more than half the time (running an appropriate amount of tests, of course) because you DO perceive them exactly the same. human perception is NOT that fine grained.

do the test. at least you'll find out if it's true for you.
>>
I just listened to 3 guitar comparison videos

It only sounds "warmer" because 432hz is somewhere between D and C (but not exactly D-flat), so the guitar strings will inevitably be looser and give a "warmer" sound.

People who spout this "it's warmer because of x spiritual reason" are retarded. It's warmer because the string tension is loosened from the normal 440hz tuning. Fucking hell

Both sound fine nonetheless.
>>
>audiophiles
>>
>>64060822
>The only reason you HEAR a difference is because there is the context from the other.
That isn't true though. 440 is silghtly detuned. That makes an audible difference. If anything the reason it's hard to hear the difference is because we've been culturally conditioned to hear pitch as twelve notes. Our ears can detect much more than that.
>>
File: 1458352188607.jpg (12 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
1458352188607.jpg
12 KB, 435x435
>You need to vibrate higher
>>
I've been having this babby tier discussion for years. I've been able to boil it down to a scenario that makes a lot of sense without using any fancy terms.

Imagine you have 4 pianos. Lets make them all Steinway Grands.

Steinway 1 is in a recital hall, tuned to 440

Steinway 2 is in a recital hall, tuned to 432

Steinway 3 is outside, tuned to 440

Steinway 4 is outside, tuned to 432

Steinway 1 and 2 sound fantastic, you probably heard a piece at that concert that you could enjoy to some degree.

Steinway 3 and 4 sound like garbage, who thought this was a good idea?

My point is that there are many factors that can make or break a performance. Tuning standard is only a minor detail, and is the least of your concerns.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.