[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guided by Voices - Please Be Honest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: gbv.jpg (203 KB, 1016x1024) Image search: [Google]
gbv.jpg
203 KB, 1016x1024
Thoughts on the new Guided by Voices album?

http://www.stereogum.com/1871170/stream-guided-by-voices-please-be-honest/mp3s/

I'm a huge fan of GBV but outside the first song, this album does nothing for me. Sounds (and essentially is) a third Teenage Guitar album.
>>
4th listen, still dont like

Fuck
>>
i think uncle bob puts out too much material for his own good

i can't even keep up with all his releases
>>
>>64060665
I guess I get that.

>>64059612
I like it. It's good, but I still personally think it's backloaded. It's a little bit like Vampire on Titus.
>>
>>64060767

It took me a few years to catch up but I finally am. Feels nice being able to listen to his albums as they come out now.

>>64060836

Fav tracks?

This does not feel like a GBV album to me at all.

Only other track I kind of dig is "Eye Shop Heaven", but even that sounds like it's missing some punch.

Really interested to see how the critics rate this one.

As said, totally feels like it's just a new Teenage Guitar album.
>>
>>64061088
I don't understand why he released it under the GBV name considering he played all the instruments on this record
>>
Uncle Bob 2015-2016 power rankings

I Sell the Circus
King Heavy Metal

Swimmer to a Liquid Armchair
Faulty Superheroes
Stomping Grounds
Of Course You Are

Please Be Honest
>>
>>64061153

Seemed like a "Fuck you, I AM Guided by Voices, go fuck yourself if you think I need the "classic lineup" to perform under GBV"

Even if it's technically true, I'd still expect a GBV album to at least have a proper backing band.
>>
>>64061159
Personally think stomping grounds is one of the best albums he has ever made
>>
>>64061088
It does kind of sound like Teenage Guitar, but I dug those albums and I dug this. It definitely feels transitory, but the thing about GBV records is that I usually only really dig a few songs and am left sort of shrugging at first, then one day I'm doing something else I realize that I'm running through the entire thing in my head and then I listen to it again and I fucking love it. That's what happened with Factory, which was the first GBV I ever heard and which this reminds me of.

Also, do you seriously not like Kid on a Ladder, Come On Mr. Christian, Glittering Parliaments, Quickers Arrive, I Think a Telescope, OR Please Be Honest? Those are top tier shit to my ears.
>>
>>64061369

Liquid Observer, Hue and Dye, Cold Joker are all great

>>64061388

I'ma keep listening to for sure. But usually I know after a handful of listens and still nothing has clicked outside Zodiac.

Keep in my mind one of my favorite Bob songs period is "A Year That Could Have Been Worse" so it's not a matter of the sound/style, just can't say I dig the songwriting this time around.

I mean, when I just do the math, this is easily my least favorite GBV album.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.