[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Side of the Moon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (81 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
image.png
81 KB, 1680x1050
I can't see anything particularly remarkable about this even after several listens. Is there something about it that I'm missing?

>My qualms

1. There's no building or falling instrumentals throughout it--every song sounds like it's going to be the final track...but then it's not.
2. Formulaic, flat, uninspired drumming.
3. Versatility of instruments and mastery of a specific instrument are clearly absent
4. The tracks usually flow together, but not in a good way. Seems like they just drone on with more simple guitar work and basic drums. The tracks that don't flow together have jarring, illogical transitions.
5. Attempts jazz-fusion prog but ends up sounding like music played in a hotel lobby
6. Attempts symphonic prog but the frustrating lack of dynamics and layering makes it come off as flat

Why do people love this so much? Why does it garner such critical acclaim?
>>
Also, I am male and 22, if that affects anything
>>
>>64058833
here's the perspective of someone who thinks it's probably the 3rd best Pink Floyd album after Saucerful of Secrets and Piper (Live Ummagumma would be up there too, fuck the studio part), probably an 8/10

>There's no building or falling instrumentals throughout it--every song sounds like it's going to be the final track...but then it's not.
?
I don't really get this complaint, but I'll address it anyway. Not every piece of prog music is meant to be some epic long suite of buildup and crescendoing. This album is pretty atmospheric and relaxed throughout.
>Formulaic, flat, uninspired drumming.
Personally I love the snare sound on this album, the rest of the drumming is fine as well.
>Versatility of instruments and mastery of a specific instrument are clearly absent
They are even less technically-proficient on every thing that came before this album, it kinda sucks but it doesn't hold back the composition at all, which was definitely their strong suit as a band. Plenty of other prog bands weren't exactly proficient with their instruments during their prime period of composition (When ITCOTCK came out, Robert Fripp wasn't even close to the guitar player he is now)
>The tracks usually flow together, but not in a good way. Seems like they just drone on with more simple guitar work and basic drums. The tracks that don't flow together have jarring, illogical transitions.
A lot of the transitions are stupid shit meant to show off quadraphonic and stereo sound systems, it sounds gimmicky and is frustrating now.
>Attempts jazz-fusion prog but ends up sounding like music played in a hotel lobby
Us And Them is the best song on the album in my opinion, the composition is a lot more subtle than a lot of famous prog albums so the album doesn't sound very busy musically, but I think it does the less over-the-top sound pretty well.
>>
>>64058833
Why do people love it so much? As far as I can guess, the fact that it had really solid singles and attracted an even larger audience for PF. You don't find a lot of people calling it their favorite Floyd album if they've listened to their whole catalog.

Doesn't explain why "greatest" album lists and such you find online always have Dark Side higher up than their other albums, though.
>>
>>64059221
cont.

>Attempts symphonic prog but the frustrating lack of dynamics and layering makes it come off as flat
I don't think they were really going for that sound. I could understand someone saying that for Any Colour You Like with all the keyboard shit going on, but not really the album as a whole.

>>64059288
It's a pretty cohesive album, has some of their most popular singles, and it sold a shitload of copies. It's a pretty good album too, recently I saw a Grateful Dead cover band play it live beginning to end (a request of some friends who enjoy it more the album way more than I do). Hearing a 10 minute jam to Any Colour You Like was pretty fucking incredible, the cover band was definitely more talented on a technical level than PF. Changed my mind on the album and I moved it from a 6 to an 8.
>>
people love the dark side of the moon because it has such a beautiful, spacey atmosphere to it and functions as an entire piece of music, which obviously some people are attracted to.

also, money, time, us and them, and the two opening and closing tracks are legitimately great songs on their own. the one and only complaint I have with the album is that I think the great gig in the sky is utter bullshit that does nothing for me.

DSOTM seems to somewhat controversial in "music nerd" areas for some reason, people either seem to think it's one of the absolute GOAT albums of all time or a pointless piece of shit. people who hold the latter opinion either say that piper at the gates of dawn was the only good floyd or that the band's entire discography sucked. but anyway.

that's probably why they like it, it's an incredibly emotional listen so unless you're connecting with it on that level you mightn't like it. i've loved it for years and can't remember a time in my life where I didn't vibe with it completely so I love it.
>>
>>64059221
>the album is pretty relaxed and atmospheric throughout

That's probably what I like least about it. I think that kind of atmosphere works best with more classical-heavy, more ambient prog and possibly in interlude-like stages in any prog album, but the stagnant feel of the album is what makes me not want to go back.
>>
>>64059781
Understandable, though sometimes I'm looking for something more relaxing to chill or smoke to and this album works really well.

Out of curiosity, what are your favorite prog albums?
>>
Any Colour You Like is the greatest song ever made.
>>
Literally
Fedora: The Album
>>
>>64059808
I haven't delved a ton into prog, but I really enjoy Larks' Tongues and ITCOTCK, Comus' "First Utterance," and Koenji Hyakkei's albums.
>>
>>64060701
mate you need to listen to magma right now
>>
>>64058833
the only good song is the great gig in the sky
>>
You're about 40 years late

It's like how kids today don't think Pokemon Red, OoT or FFVII is very good.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.