[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey Brits, how actually popular is Kate Bush in your country?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2559x1535) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2559x1535
Hey Brits, how actually popular is Kate Bush in your country? Like would the average person know her?
>>
half brit here, very popular so far as I know
>>
>>64056100
Over 30 y.o. non-plebs should know her.

Her singles are part of our staple diet. Albums, not so much.
>>
Yeah she's pretty much a household name, everyone knows her
>>
never for ever is my favorite record p much not British just excited to see KB on /mu/
>>
you'd struggle to find anybody who doesn't know about "running up that hill" and i assume most people know her by name and would recognize a picture of her.

that said, she's nothing like david bowie or elton john or whatever in terms of fame and instant recognize-ability. which is a shame because at her peak I think she was at least as good as bowie if not better and she blows elton john out of the water at basically almost any point in her career.
>>
I live where Kate Bush used to live and at least one person knows someone who used to know her here. People know her but maybe not so much her music, apart from WH
>>
>>64056100
Very popular over the age of 40. Stuff like Running Up That Hill gets rotation on mainstream radio. I would think most people could tell you who she is in the same way as Debbie Harry, Boy George or Wham! but I wouldn't say she's regarded as a national treasure.

Source = I'm from the UK
>>
They all share a glorifield island so i assume everyone knows everyone else at least partially.
>>
In the general mainstream/ normie consciousness I think she's mostly remembered as the crazy lady who sung Wuthering Heights

IDK if people in their 20s or under would necessarily recognize her. But it depends who you ask I suppose.
>>
>>64056290
I actually live down the road from the Queen mate, I go round every once in a while when her post gets sent to me.
>>
>>64056243
what was she like? I assume she was pretty cool
>>
Thanks for your replies.

Here in the U.S. nobody knows her except for those that are a fan of British rock/pop.
>>
>>64056307
yeah a lot of people think of her as an oddball lunatic which is annoying.

>tfw when listening to wuthering heights :^(
>>
>>64056307
Why crazy? Besides from the extremely high singing voice she has in that song
>>
>>64056323
From the accounts I've heard, as you'd expect; warm demeanour, slightly eccentric but not wacky. Nice house....obviously. But she's moved now (don't blame her, it's a shithole here).
>>
>>64056351
It's weird how she basically got that rep from one music video/ song. In all the interviews I've seen she comes across as remarkably grounded, humble and well spoken.
>>
Anyone middle aged has heard of her for sure, she was a big chart-topper at a certain point in time

by the way are any of Kate Bush's other songs as good as Wuthering Heights? I've not found any
>>
>>64056424
cool

>>64056442
her music was always groundbreaking and she never compromised her art, add in the fact that her voice was just weirder than most and lots of people probably are going to find her to be too much.

anyway way she seems super nice. obviously very intelligent.
>>
>>64056424
>>64056323
>>64056243
I actually know her personally (I did an AMA a few weeks ago about it). And yes, she's exactly as you described her.
>>
>>64056100
Kate Bush is a faggot stop listening to her and start supporting (superior) American female artists
>>
Russian here. Absolutely unknown
>>
>>64056474
running up that hill is an absolute banger
>>
>>64056507
I kind of struggle to believe some random dude on /mu/ knows kate bush IRL but if you do truly know her that's fucking awesome, please let her know that she still has loads of fans that love and appreciate her art. obviously she knows that already but y'know what i mean.
>>
>>64056515
What artists are popular in Russia, I wonder?
>>
>>64056474
the man with the child in his eyes and the kick inside are both very close to wuthering heights - which to be fair is almost unbeatable
>>
>>64056474
Cloudbusting is her best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ4DeDIh5c0
>>
>>64056507
Hey, I know (random person) ask me anything

fuck yourself, idiot.
>>
>>64056474
>by the way are any of Kate Bush's other songs as good as Wuthering Heights?
In terms of pop songwriting, which I assume is what you mean, maybe not (although Running Up That Hill and Cloudbusting are up there imo). But in fairness, Wuthering Heights is one of the best pop songs ever as far as I'm concerned.

But her discog as a whole is really worth getting into, it's just that a lot of her other work is a bit more experimental and 'out there'. The Dreaming and Hounds of Love are both fantastic albums.
>>
>>64056100
In the U.S. she's patrician mom-core, otherwise the public at large doesn't really know her as >>64056343 describes.
>>
>>64056474
cloudbusting and get out of my house are some of the best songs ever imo
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 640x642) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 640x642
>>64056565
>>64056598
>>
>>64056695
WHENS SHE TOURING NEXT
>>
>>64056695
if this is for real you are a fuckin legend desu
>>
New album when

>>64056580
Russia's got a lot of shitty chart music like any other country. For we'll known older stuff you have bands like Kino and Aquarium. Lots of solo acoustic stuff too.
>>
>>64056580
There's strong metal following, for example. Foreign rap is not popular, but local Russian shit-tier rap enjoys lots of popularity. Otherwise, it's all shit EDM like Scooter, Prodigy, etc, and whatever's-on-the-radio music.

It's easier to tell what is not known at all. Indie music in general. Murican acts which sing about star spangled banners and general Americana like Bruce Springsteen. As for hip-hop, even Kanye is barely known here and no one gives a fuck about him. The only widely known rap/hip-hop artist known here is Eminem.

As for Russian bands, some of them are just rip-offs of their western counterparts, others are simply selling sex. Also, there's "chanson", the music edgy kids like to rebel against (it's objectively shit though, like country).
>>
>>64056695
That's pretty cool.
>>
>>64056798
Do you Russians play N.American shit like Maroon 5 and Nicki Minaj? Or drake? Or are you still super anti-west? Excuse my ignorance. I'm intrigued.
>>
>>64056821
>general Americana like Bruce Springsteen.
Oh kek. I've tried to get into Russian music but can't find any good shit, and I know I'm looking at the wrong places.
>>
>>64056474
yeah Get Out Of My House and Running Up That Hill are pretty amazing thanks
>>
>>64056821
country is not objectively shit m8

unless you're talking about florida georgia line etc
>>
>>64056846
I'm not Russian but I've been to Russia and while I'm sure there's plenty of anti west sentiment, everyone I talked to there was pretty nice and it didn't seem all that different from the US in most ways. The other guy responding to you said most top 40 stuff isn't really popular there though so I guess the answer to your question is no.

>>64056894
Meльницa and Natalia O'Shea's other stuff is good and relatively recent. Гpaждaнcкaя Oбopoнa and Кoммyнизм are some older stuff I like too. They're Ukrainian but sing in Russian but I just started listening to 5'nizza.
>>
>>64056846
Wasn't my comment but I'm Russian too so…

Maroon 5 is very popular—I mean, they've sold a shitton of records, so it's not unexpected. Minaj—not sure. Drake—I doubt that, since no one would be able to understand what he sings.

> Or are you still super anti-west?

It's a meme. Let me explain. You know how US is a big country? You know how the South and the North are totally different? Now take a look at Russia. Its area is 170% of that of US. There are bound to be different people. From anti-Putin hipsters to people who think the Jews destroyed the USSR. Or sometimes the mixture of both—you would be surprised but they do exist.

The older people are usually more conservative. The youth are somewhat more liberal. But only few radical people hold extreme views against US, no one takes them seriously.
>>
>>64056947
OK. Well, listen for yourself than and find your name for it: https://youtu.be/p3nsal-bwSU
>>
>>64056100
Yeah, very well-known. Even pleb teenagers will have heard a few singles. One of the few artist I really like that I can talk about with normie friends. I'd say she's a tier below The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.
>>
>>64056821
Do people like Vitas?
>>
>>64056894
'90s good alt-rock: https://youtu.be/s56yferAew4
https://youtu.be/6MoHSKblp3k
Another one: https://youtu.be/wuZAwBbEFJU

But I mostly listen to rock so may omit some things
>>
>>64057137
there is simply no way kate bush is a tier below led zeppelin.

she's on the same level as the other three, and better than pink floyd.
>>
>>64057139
Vitas has ended his Russian career around 2004. He was a huge hit in around 2001, mostly for his super-high voice. Since then we have heard literally nothing about him.
>>
>>64057261
I'm talking about popularity.
>>
>>64056894
And if you want Russian meme music, listen to Leningrad https://youtu.be/XveGQdHa18I
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.