[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metal, Embarrassing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: thy+web.jpg (372 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
thy+web.jpg
372 KB, 1000x662
I'm a guitarist, and I love metal/hardcore/deathcore/tech-metal.

I've had a few successful-ish metal releases, and I am currently working on a new band I started. I'm starting to kind of feel weird about metal though. I enjoy it, but it's sort of a meme at this point. I am starting to feel embarrassed by releasing this new album, even though I'm sure there will be people who like it.

Any opinions on metal (not talking about low-brow System of a down-tier shit)?
>>
Why do you care about what other people think?
Turn that inwards and address what YOU think.
>>
>>64052506
I think it's kinda cheesy, but also pretty fucking badass.

I am 24, and I'm just feeling like I'm too old to be making music with "sick tech riffs" and "heavy breakdowns", but also feel like it doesn't matter because other forms of music are just as cheesy and cliche.
>>
it's not metal that's embarrassing op, it's cliche music in general. sounds like you need to hunker down and take a breather for a while and try to get a fresh perspective so you're not just going through the motions when you make music.
>>
>>64052386
I don't take it particularly seriously, but it's fun music.

If you're trying to spook and intimidate people with the earth-shaking, soul-crushing, doom-laiden brutality of your music, then MAYBE I would advise you to stop acting like an angsty adolescent; however, if you simply have fun playing the music, and you're honest about your genuine intentions, then I see no problem.
>>
>>64052386

>(not talking about low-brow System of a down-tier shit)?

Their debut album is fucking great. It's all those joke subgenres like goregrind that give metal the bad reputation.
>>
I feel ya, op. Metal has been my favorite kind of music for the last 12 years or so and I am not proud to admit it most of the time because of the negative association people have with it, but when it comes down to it how is it any more embarrassing than indie?
>>
>>64052665
I actually kinda like that new Aborted-influenced goregrind/deathcore stuff like "Ingested".

>>64052671
Yeah I used to play in a touring metal band, and at the time it was like making my dream come true. But the people you meet in the metal community are just silly. It's a bunch of community college drop outs with beard/undercut combos who deliver pizzas and do art on the side, and think they are on their way to getting famous or something.

Indie has a slightly better fan base, there are more upper-middle class kids who go to indie shows, but the music itself I think is just as embarrassing.
>>
>>64052539
>heavy breakdowns

so you weren't making metal to begin with, so it's all fine
>>
>>64052786
Not going to lie, I'm not a fan of most of /mu/'s taste in metal (besides entry-level Deafheaven stuff).
>>
>>64052786

Metalcore is metal too.
>>
>>64052386
hey fuck YOU
SOAD IS DOPE

at least they don't take themselves seriously like you do you smarmy self conscious fuck
>>
File: 1407190745929.png (129 KB, 724x611) Image search: [Google]
1407190745929.png
129 KB, 724x611
>>64052818
HAHH
>>
File: 136632396530.png (115 KB, 317x200) Image search: [Google]
136632396530.png
115 KB, 317x200
>>64052539
>"heavy breakdowns"
>metal
>>
>>64052786
bands like Suffocation and Cryptopsy had breakdowns, not to mention the entire genre of slam death.

anyway, do you enjoy making this kind of music, OP? if it's what you want to make, there's no point worrying about it being embarrassing.
>>
>>64052818
>>64052883
it's metal, just not very good
>>
>>64052386
In this case, the worst thing you could possibly do, is to stop doing something simply because people mock it; however, if you start to sympathize with the REASONS why people mock it, that's a different story.
>>
>>64052386
yeah the fault isn't in metal, it's in you becoming too uptight and self-conscious
further evidenced by your needless pre-emptive distancing from "low-brow"
>>
File: Peste Noire album.png (49 KB, 465x465) Image search: [Google]
Peste Noire album.png
49 KB, 465x465
the only metal worth a shit is metal which unabashedly revels in the genre's inherent vulgarity and its most proudly antisocial elements, especially if it takes those elements and uses them to build something idiosyncratic and even strangely refined
this is why pretty much the only metal worth a shit is death and black
i always get a little sick when i see dumbfuck metalheads whose entire lives revolve around metal get all defensive and go "i-it's just silly fun, don't take it so seriously!" when people question them on how they feel about the more questionable elements of the genre
you base your whole life around this thing and when people call you dumb for it your response is practically "i know"? that's not metal making you sound like a vapid idiot mate, that's you making yourself sound like one

anyway, you sound like a self-conscious clown
do what you want, i dunno
>>
>>64052386
There's literally a metal general you fucking faggot. Go there.
>>
>>64052930
>slam death
>metal

But yea, Suffocation is a great band
>>
>>64052960
Well okay, I am also a 24 year old business student and I also do classical guitar performances.

So on one hand, I want to succeed in this world (outside of music), and I don't want to publicly make myself look bad. I do sort of sympathize with the reasons people mock it, because the metal culture is embarrassing. The concerts are full of losers, the musicians are high-strong betas, and it's viewed as a low-brow form of entertainment, usually associated with low self-esteem. But it's also fun and extremely fun to listen to and perform live.
>>
t b h guys i really think this is wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orZMABFt-Gg
>>
low brow is best brow
>>
Metal is great if you play the guitar and treat music as a competition.
>>
>>64053004
I truly despise low-brow culture and everything associated with it, so it bugs me.

>>64053022
Yeah here's an example of why metal culture annoys me, but I also understand what you're saying. When people think that metal truly has "meaning", like the music makes any sort of difference in this world. It doesn't. It does absolutely nothing. It's a bunch of people coming to a mid-level venue and seeing a cool performance, that's it. It doesn't matter what the music or the band stands for, it will never make a positive difference.
>>
so the only non-retards who like metal, like it ironically or something?
>>
>>64053139
does classical music make a positive difference in the world
>>
>>64053139
you are just retarded
>>
>>64053180
Schopenhauer would like to have a word with you
>>
>>64053041
>>64053139
yep, simply too smug for his own good
>>
>>64053041
I don't play the music, but I would feel exactly the same if I did. I say ebrace the ambivalence.

Or you could take the same route Stephen O'Malley did and just sublimate your affinity for metal and reappropriate it into some arty music
>>
>>64053180
Not really. It's just entertainment. I believe that it's a special form of entertainment with a level of depth that is uncomparable to other forms of art/music. The "soundscapes" you find in classical music can make you feel things that other kinds of music can't. But when it really comes down to it, it doesn't really DO anything for the world.
>>
>>64053139
>When people think that metal truly has "meaning", like the music makes any sort of difference in this world. It doesn't. It does absolutely nothing.

99% of art has no meaning nor longterm consequence to anyone but a niche yes, good work, glad you finally figured it out
there's no saving you, simpleton
>>
>op talks shit about metal, is convinced it is lowbrow and infantile
>plays in a deathcore band

nice projecting broski
>>
man I really hoped you were baiting with this shit OP
>>
>>64053223
it sucks that you seem to know so much about music and yet you don't understand the value of culture, entirely missing the point

>>64053205
wow i feel so small and inferior wow
>>
>>64053227
I'm just discussing the dynamics of metal. Despite my criticisms of it, I also believe the music itself is great. I like the gigantic-sounding melodies, and I don't think you can get that kind of driving, angry, larger than life sound from any other kind of music.
>>
>>64053222
>Or you could take the same route Stephen O'Malley did and just sublimate your affinity for metal and reappropriate it into some arty music

o'malley is a clown though
the only good o'malley related projects are khanate and ktl, and even those arguably have more to do with his collaborators than him
i pity you if you think the comedy act that is sunn o)))))))))) is what metal should strive towards as far as artistic ambition is concerned
>>
>>64053297

>I like the gigantic-sounding melodies, and I don't think you can get that kind of driving, angry, larger than life sound from any other kind of music.

You talking about deathcore? It's seriously one of the worst metal sub-genres. Most of it sounds like it was made by people with down syndrome, it's so damn primitive and formulaic right down to the braindead breakdowns and sadly that's what most people who never heard metal think all metal sounds like.
>>
>>64053300
I actually don't care for Sunn o)), and you're probably right that he largely piggybacks off of his colaborators, but at least his head seems to be in the right place.

The record label (Ideologic Organ) that he curates for Editions Mego is incredibly reliable.
>>
>>64053275
Well, I guess there is cultural value, but it is secondary to the rest of life. Like just an after thought.

I'm a classical guitarist, and classical guitar is HUGE in Latin America. Classical Guitarists are treated better than doctors in some places. So I've gone down there and done music stuff, and it's really cool to see how people emotionally connect to it.

But it's like, down the road from the music theater, people are still living in slums. There are still drug wars 10 minutes away. These countries are still in ruins, and an hour of great music didn't really do shit to solve any of the world's big problems, even though preparing a concert takes a lifetime of dedication.
>>
no one fucking cares, OP. if you're actually 24 years old you're about 5 years late in realizing adults have more important things to worry about than what music other people like.
>>
>>64052745
> indie has a better fan base

Not in a million years. Yes the metal community is full of man children, many of them not in states of gainful employment, many of them dressed ridiculously, covered in tattoos and piercings - but they're genuinely good, honest people with a strong musical identity and a profound love for the music they listen to.

The indie fan base is the total antithesis of the metal fan base. They are vein and self centered - more concerned with the social connotations and appearances generated by the music they listen rather than any actual love for the music. Whereas the metal community is very inclusive, the indie community is by design very exclusive.
>>
>>64053408
You're jealous aren't you
>>
File: op.jpg (109 KB, 685x474) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
109 KB, 685x474
>>
>>64053354
No I'm talking about metal in general. I'd say 90% of deathcore is boring, but there are a couple bands who do it so well that they are my favorite metal bands.

Some deathcore stuff I like that I think really sticks out in the entire genre of metal are: The Zenith Passage, The Faceless (Planetary Duality), Thy Art is Murder (Hate), War From A Harlot's Mouth (Voyeur), Suffocation, and Ingested.
>>
>>64053406
Once again you completely miss the point. Music provides an escape from such painful experiences. It gives a glimmer a beauty and light in an uncaring universe.
>>
>>64053377
i don't actually think i've heard any of the stuff that's related to that label of his, i should probably check that out sometime
as far as mego sublabels go, spectrum spools is the one for me
>>
>>64053406
well no shit music won't solve global problems
are you really a 24 year old person who doesn't know the concept of escapism?
>>
>>64053524
>>64053493
That's pretty interesting, I haven't really thought of it as "escapism". Isn't that pretty much inherently bad? Like basically a safe drug.
>>
>>64053514
Yeah, pretty much anything related to Mego is at least worth checking out.

Ideologic Organ is fairly diverse, but with a strong emphasis on plaintive/dark arty stuff
>>
>>64053634
not necessarily, music can 'help' you cope, get through tough times until your situation get better, it can inspire you to move on, improve etc. I know it sounds cheesy but it's a thing
>>
>>64053406
culture as in genuine human expression is important because it is what makes life worth living. there's no point in living without it.
basically i have similar romantic inclinations as >>64053493
except that it is not escapism at all.. through music we express as ourselves to ourselves and each other.
why not sell drugs if you need money and you see nothing else to live for? why not kill yourself if you simply go to work and live a boring fuck boy life
an hour of great music lends you reason to progress in your development as a human being
even metal is really just an exchange of human capital. it's people coming together and having fun
>>
>>64053482
thanks for the classic meme, haven't seen this one in years
>>
Metal is definitely a meme. Trust me.
>>
File: 1460661893716.jpg (173 KB, 1857x2387) Image search: [Google]
1460661893716.jpg
173 KB, 1857x2387
>>64052386
>mental
>current year
>shiggy diggy
>>
>>64053767
the only one of these I saved
truly a work of art
>>
>>64052818
We excommunicated it.
>>
>>64053942
metalcore is sort of separated from metal at this point. I'd say the most legendary and respected metalcore band is August Burns Red, and everything about them is totally anti-metal. Christians, preppy, positive lyrics, happy-ish melodies.
>>
>>64054030
It always had more to do with hardcore anyways. All the good metalcor bands, like Converge, know this.
>>
>>64052386
Metal is cheezy as fuck these days. Only good bands are Black Sabbath and Metallica. Go ahead, call me an autist, call it b8, you know it to be true.
>>
>>64054335
the last good album metallica put out was their self-titled in 1991. what the fuck are you on about, m8?
>>
Maybe OP should stop bitching about metal and write better music.
>>
>>64054335
>cheesy
>black sabbath and metallica

pick two
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.