[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Literally everyone I know hates my taste in music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: rush star an.jpg (61 KB, 856x1024) Image search: [Google]
rush star an.jpg
61 KB, 856x1024
Dude, I don't fucking know anymore. Back in August I thought it would be worth getting into some real music (anything but vidya ost) and sure enough, I've got quite a few albums (mostly classic rock though). I'll listen to them when I drive, and when I drive with family or friends to do something everyone of them hate whatever it is I put on. Here are all the bands I've listened to; Boston, Genesis, Gorillaz, Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rush, Santana, System of a Down, Tenacious D, Vampire Weekend, My Chemical Romance and The OffSpring. I get that everyone has different tastes and all that, but everything I have ever put on has been shut down consecutively. Is my taste seriously that bad? Is there absolutely no value in anything I listen to?

And yea, S.o.a.D., My Chemical Romance, Vampire Weekend and The OffSpring are those "stupid edgy bands" but shit man what am I doing wrong

Pic related, love Rush to death. Farewell to Kings best album
>>
boy you don't know edgy yet
>>
>>64051033
also, just don't even worry about it. you come here for recommendations but anything we give you your friends and family will dislike even more.
>>
music's value comes from its emotional and intellectual resonance in people

listen to what makes you happy until it no longer makes you happy
>>
>>64051062
Fuck it, you got any suggestions? I could use another S.o.a.D. or Rush/Genesis-type bands if you got them
>>
how the fuck is vampire weekend edgy

>>64051130
if you want rush/genesis type stuff then i suggest listening to yes, jethro tull, gentle giant, king crimson, van der graaf generator, etc. just prog rock in general m8
>>
>>64051005
You're just listening to shittier, popular versions of better groups

Rush is prog embarrassment. King Crimson, The Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt's solo work, italian prog like Alphataurus, etc., is not

MCR and the like are all just shittier versions of original emo like Rites of Spring and Moss Icon

Depending on the OST, video games have better music than what you listen ti
>>
File: kingcrimsonITCOTCK.jpg (75 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
kingcrimsonITCOTCK.jpg
75 KB, 500x500
>>64051167
This.
People still won't like your taste (probably even less so than they do now) but at least you'll be having fun.
>>
also why do you even give a shit what people think of your music? play like, i dunno, stuff that people won't mind in the car (gorillaz, red hot chili peppers, pearl jam all seem like this but i dunno what kind of people you hang around with) and appreciate your own shit on your own terms. no problem anon.
>>
>vampire weekend
>edgy

Is this b8?
>>
>>64051005
Pearl Ham is absolute anus next to just about evefy other 90s grunge act
>>
>>64051314
there has never been a grunge band that wasn't utter shite my man
>>
>>64051379
The Melvins were ok.
>>
>>64051005
> The OffSpring
> System of a Down
Literally the edgy kids' favorite bands. Some of the worst music

If you like that sound, listen to Green Day or better to some better '90s alternative. Their songwriting, sound and everything else is several levels higher.

There's nothing wrong with prog like Genesis, Rush. Pink Floyd is ok too.

Your problem is that every band you describe is usually what edgy kids listen to. It doesn't necessarily mean all of these bands are bad. The problem is that the said edgy kids don't really like their music per se, they just just feel it makes them better than the rest.
>>
>>64051524
>Green Day
>good songwriting
I'm not trying to be one of those guys but I'd be legitimately interested in hearing you present an argument explaining why the songwriting in any Green Day song is good.
Haven't listened to them since I was like 14 but iirc they just play simple pop punk no?
>>
>>64051204
>MCR and the like are all just shittier versions of original emo like Rites of Spring and Moss Icon
unless you literally never listened to the radio at all 10 years ago, you would probably know that my chemical romance sounded at least 100% more like freddie mercury than whatever entry level 80s hardcore bands you care to namedrop, but i guess you just read the term "emo" and feel the need to flex your Esoteric Rock Knowledge online. cheers
>>
>Vampire Weekend
>edgy
ayy lmao
>>
>>64051005
They don't hate your taste of music they just hate you... The worst thing you can do is start listening to better music, since they will find it annoying that they have to hate on that music now, since you listen to it, so they will hate you even more. Your only solution is to just stop going outside really...
>>
>>64052138
why would they get in his car if they hated him?
>>
>>64052157
There is always that one guy in a group of friends/colleagues that everyone secrety hates, but they see him regulary and its less awkward to just tolerate him and shit talk him behind his back. Thats OP basically...
>>
>>64052293
m8 if people hate someone it's easier to just tell them to fuck off than awkwardly having them around, srsly
>>
>>64052293
yeah but that guy isn't the one driving the car usually, he's begging to tag along.
>>
>>64052343
Well yeah then they are using him for a free ride..
>>
>>64052293
As much as I've played with that idea before, they literally just hit me up to go hiking be I said nah

We get along and all and we've all been through some tough times together? So it's probably not that
>>
>>64052727
This is OP, by the way just on my phone
>>
>>64051005
what's wrong with vidya ost?
>>
>>64051667
OK.

Just for some context—my favorite albums of the '90s so far are Nevermind, In Utero, Loveless and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. I'm from Russia so the musical landscape is somehwat different here.

I honestly hated Green Day before I even got into music. When I was 13 or so, American Idiot and Boulevard of Broken Dreams was played on every rock radio station. Simple pop-punk, as you said. So I put them in the same category of whiny eyeliner-loving kids as Fallout Boy. But my biggest problem was their videos. I couldn't watch Wake Me Up When September Ends clip without puking mentally. It was the most distasteful video I've ever seen. The videos had completely ruined my perception of Green Day.

But then again, after years had passed, I actually realized that songs like Wake Me Up… had been stuck in my head ever since. I got into music and learned that Green Day had been playing since the '90s (Dookie is almost unknown here where I live). Then I saw the cover of Dookie and thought it was the edgiest crap I've ever seen, so I postponed listening to them again.

But then last year I finally got to listening Dookie. And it actually turned to be out much, much better than I expected. I won't lie—I don't remember all of it, because alt-punk and pop-punk isn't exactly my thing. But IMO When I Come Around is a hell of a song. The kind of riff which sounds almost perfect. Also, the lyrics are surprisingly honest and relatable, which made me respect Armstrong much more.

So I decided that I could probably withstand the potential cringe of listening to American Idiot at that point. Its cover was the epitome of edgy bullshit, it smelled of teens who want to break the system from their mom's basement. And… It was also pretty good. The most amazing tracks on the album are definitely Jesus of Suburbia and Wake Me Up…
>>
>>64051667
>>64052969
The thing with Green Day is that although they're indeed pop-punk, they actually have very good pop sensibilities. When I Come Around is a very catchy Jamaican music-inspired hit. Without distortion, they'd be a pretty good power-pop band—kinda like Weezer.

This is different from Blink-182, Sum-41 and all the other bands of pop-punk/nu-metal which wrote more boring melodies with cringeworthy lyrics.
>>
>>64051379
Umm...Soundgarden...Off of the top of my head. Though Soundgarden seems more metal than grunge to me, and they just got branded with that label because of the era.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.